Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

19 minutes ago, Kpoid said:

I was at the B/pool game 74  i was 14 at the time  I went with mates from Atherton on the train it  was a  mad day ..police tried keeping everyone  on  the kop including  Blackpool  behind to take names & addresses  but loads of us ran accross the pitch  & got out the other end ..me & my older brother got the X60 bus back to Bolton wich took about 4 hrs cos police kept stopping buses & coaches  ..searching for blood on scarves etc ...anyway went again 77/ 78 ish  & was involved  in trouble from morning  through to about 10.30 at night  ..police kept splitting us up  before the game  & me & lad called L ... from  o/hulton got in the ground after K O the opposite end to the kop  cos that was the plan  ..that's where their  main  crew went  ..but me & L  were too late it had already  gone off & police were taking Bolton accross  the pitch so we tried to get  down & jump over  but we got sussed   got punched & kicked  off a few of theirs  but managed  to get out over the turnstiles  ...afterwards  their was loads of bother all over & B/pool were well up for it too  ...even on the pier at one stage  & nr Talbot rd bus stn  ..a very lively day ... I was involved  & around loads of stuff  ( not always by choice) from  76 ish  to early 80's   ...I still go to games on & off aways as well  &   still see plenty old faces  .  I went to Packie's funeral RIP  he was from round my end originally  ..there were plenty old heads there that day      ..On a funny note  me & some mates in early 70's  used to refer to the Warbie's  as the Bolton fatties  as most of um seemed to have beer bellies & beards  & when they charged at away fans on the embankment  it always seemed like a slow heavy charge    But they were Effective  charges !

Great tales, you are correct about Paki coming from your neck of the woods, didn’t speak much of to Paki but remember him telling me he was Tyldesley lad and moved to Bolton, said lots of his tyldesley mates ended up watching other clubs and after that he didn’t knock around with them because they weren’t BWFC, as an aside was the over Hulton lad called Littler, nickname licky? 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Great tales, you are correct about Paki coming from your neck of the woods, didn’t speak much of to Paki but remember him telling me he was Tyldesley lad and moved to Bolton, said lots of his tyldesley mates ended up watching other clubs and after that he didn’t knock around with them because they weren’t BWFC, as an aside was the over Hulton lad called Littler, nickname licky? 

Lick ...he,s been missing for yrs pal .

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Rum lad Lick, 1st time I saw him was Burnley away 87/88, he had the biggest shiner I've ever seen.. Thought he must have been in a ruck with Burnley. Found out later that he'd got it the night before. 

Edited by RONNIE PHILLIPS

4 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Rum lad Lick, 1st time I saw him was Burnley away 87/88, he had the biggest shiner I've ever seen.. Thought he must have been in a ruck with Burnley. Found out later that he'd got it the night before having been battered from the dance factory down to Prestons by a well known local black lad

He  had a flat cap on that day at B/pool & a little Bolton badge on his lapel ( thats how we got sussed ) one of theirs  knocked his cap off  & like a dick he bent down to pick it up  ?  

17 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Lick stopped going well before we moved mate. 

Must have been late 80s early 90s last time I seen him, was good few years older than me so he wasn’t a mate but seemed rum lad. There was a photo on here while back with him on it (he looked like Freddie Mercury with bone head 😂) think it was England away game, think Winny was also on it. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Must have been late 80s early 90s last time I seen him, was good few years older than me so he wasn’t a mate but seemed rum lad. There was a photo on here while back with him on it (he looked like Freddie Mercury with bone head 😂) think it was England away game, think Winny was also on it. 

That's the one  he always had a bone head...I knew Winny  as well  but not seen him for yrs  .

38 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Found out later that he'd got it the night before having been battered from the dance factory down to Prestons by a well known local black lad

Who was also a Wanderers fan, if it's the same guy I'm thinking of.  He once led a group of about 30 of us into a much larger group of reds in the city centre.  They'd followed us from Piccadilly (we'd been at Notts County and they'd been at Sheffield Wednesday I think) & there had been a few skirmishes before they turned up with a much larger mob.  It kicked off all around the Arndale and Victoria as we kept chasing them off and they kept coming back with more.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Who was also a Wanderers fan, if it's the same guy I'm thinking of.  He once led a group of about 30 of us into a much larger group of reds in the city centre.  They'd followed us from Piccadilly (we'd been at Notts County and they'd been at Sheffield Wednesday I think) & there had been a few skirmishes before they turned up with a much larger mob.  It kicked off all around the Arndale and Victoria as we kept chasing them off and they kept coming back with more.

GH? 

There's probably enough old folk on here to help me out and clear something up. My memory is a bit shit for a lot of things and always has been but I've a really vivid memory from when I was a small kid and I've no idea whether it's false or not.

My dad used to take me as a kid and we used to go and stand on Burnden Paddock. My memory is that at the end of a game/towards the end of a game against Leeds they either were in the Lever End or had gone out of the ground and were coming back in in the corner and I remember bricks/rubble being thrown and also yellow smoke bombs.

Looking at the dates it could only have been one of the 3 games in 77,78,79 but is my mind playing tricks on me and it never happened?  Obviously with it being Leeds it sounds possible but does anyone know if it did happen?

14 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

There's probably enough old folk on here to help me out and clear something up. My memory is a bit shit for a lot of things and always has been but I've a really vivid memory from when I was a small kid and I've no idea whether it's false or not.

My dad used to take me as a kid and we used to go and stand on Burnden Paddock. My memory is that at the end of a game/towards the end of a game against Leeds they either were in the Lever End or had gone out of the ground and were coming back in in the corner and I remember bricks/rubble being thrown and also yellow smoke bombs.

Looking at the dates it could only have been one of the 3 games in 77,78,79 but is my mind playing tricks on me and it never happened?  Obviously with it being Leeds it sounds possible but does anyone know if it did happen?

I think it was the 79 game Leeds were in the other side of burnden paddock (away fans side) & bricks etc were flying back & forward   all  the game  ...I dont remember whether they came in from outside at the end ..but there was a lot of trouble on manny rd  ...I could have the year wrong though  .

3 hours ago, Kpoid said:

I think it was the 79 game Leeds were in the other side of burnden paddock (away fans side) & bricks etc were flying back & forward   all  the game  ...I dont remember whether they came in from outside at the end ..but there was a lot of trouble on manny rd  ...I could have the year wrong though  .

It was the 3-1 game in the League in Oct 78, remember seeing graffiti in a pub at the away game " I got bricked at Bolton "

9 hours ago, leigh white said:

It was the 3-1 game in the League in Oct 78, remember seeing graffiti in a pub at the away game " I got bricked at Bolton "

The scenes between the Embankment and Burnden Paddock that day were incredible. Bricks were falling like rain from the sky. I remember both sets of fans had backed off a bit leaving empty bits of terracing. In the newly empty bit of the Paddock were two or three St John's Ambulance folks tending to someone who'd clearly just been hit with a brick. Brave people because there was no truce or pause for them to do their jobs. 

It was a sunny Autumn Day - Leeds scored just before half time, I can't remember if it was Carl Harris or Ray Hankin who scored for them but I remember the wild celebrations on the 60 per cent of the Embankment they were occupying. Within seconds of the second half starting we'd equalised. Willie Morgan tap-in. It then turned in to the Frank Worthington show and that's when it all went very sour on the terraces.It was a really significant win for us given how good a side Leeds were - but all eyes were on the action off the field. It was a very violent and bloody day.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

The scenes between the Embankment and Burnden Paddock that day were incredible. Bricks were falling like rain from the sky. I remember both sets of fans had backed off a bit leaving empty bits of terracing. In the newly empty bit of the Paddock were two or three St John's Ambulance folks tending to someone who'd clearly just been hit with a brick. Brave people because there was no truce or pause for them to do their jobs. 

It was a sunny Autumn Day - Leeds scored just before half time, I can't remember if it was Carl Harris or Ray Hankin who scored for them but I remember the wild celebrations on the 60 per cent of the Embankment they were occupying. Within seconds of the second half starting we'd equalised. Willie Morgan tap-in. It then turned in to the Frank Worthington show and that's when it all went very sour on the terraces.It was a really significant win for us given how good a side Leeds were - but all eyes were on the action off the field. It was a very violent and bloody day.

With being stood on the Burnden Terrace that afternoon in a very packed area, full house bricks were being lobbed back and forth, and a good number of golf balls. It was indeed a day to have your wits about you.

8 minutes ago, leigh white said:

With being stood on the Burnden Terrace that afternoon in a very packed area, full house bricks were being lobbed back and forth, and a good number of golf balls. It was indeed a day to have your wits about you.

Another slightly more light-hearted memory is of an elderly bloke who sat just in front of us in the Manny Road North. A fortnight before the Leeds game we'd clocked up our second win of the season at home to Norwich. We were 1-2 down at half time but came back to win 3-2 and our equaliser was immediately after the interval. The old guy in front upset his cup of coffee all down his front in the celebrations. Then two weeks later - action replay against Leeds with Willie Morgan's goal. He took stick about it every home game for about six months after ... but we never did score again just after half time.

1 hour ago, Fred perry said:

I think he had a set to with some lads from Bolton Fish Market,which resulted in his death.

Yes, that's right, and all over him protecting a girl from round our way.

They did a fundraiser for him in the Stag, hoping to pay for medical care over here, but he sadly didn't make it.

I went to school with Joe (real name Mick iirc and he was in the same school year as Damper Des), he lived at the top of H/Well at the time and was a decent lad.

We nicknamed him Joe 90 when he had to wear glasses at around 14 years of age.

His nickname got altered slightly after he left school,obviously due to his fondness for a spliff or two.

Lost touch with him after we left school, but was saddened to hear of his death in Tenerife many years later.

RIP MH.

Edited by Burndens Bogs