Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

• Members
2 hours ago, Good Knee said:

Haha great stories pal, why would we want to change him ? Remember him fancying a fit local girl (JG) she was seeing an older lad proper hard mon we were kids but he decided to have a pop at this bloke on Moor Lane after Sunday neet Palais. I tried my best to make him see sense,watch my back he said and steamed in luckily we both weren't hospitalised. 

Doesn't surprise me one bit mate. Self preservation just doesn't seem to compute :roll:  If it's the JG I am thinking of, that was a long running saga going back to when we were in single digits age wise. The one I am thinking of lived in Exeter Avenue just round the corner from us? Her 3 brothers were all Rockers but good, sound lads - I was mates with all of them.

There's a certain brand of worthless turd who frequents this site who will be reading this and chomping at the bit to suggest it's all bollocks. You've made it rather difficult this time around for them to do that old son. The fact that you met up with me, Miami, Mounts, Gravel Rash etc. during my last visit means they can't even suggest that you're a spoof account of mine. Shame that.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, bolty58 said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit mate. Self preservation just doesn't seem to compute :roll:  If it's the JG I am thinking of, that was a long running saga going back to when we were in single digits age wise. The one I am thinking of lived in Exeter Avenue just round the corner from us? Her 3 brothers were all Rockers but good, sound lads - I was mates with all of them.

There's a certain brand of worthless turd who frequents this site who will be reading this and chomping at the bit to suggest it's all bollocks. You've made it rather difficult this time around for them to do that old son. The fact that you met up with me, Miami, Mounts, Gravel Rash etc. during my last visit means they can't even suggest that you're a spoof account of mine. Shame that.

That's the girl P her brother's worked the doors in town I know them from way back,saw her at a funeral last year she's wearing well tell your kid .

• Members
Just now, Good Knee said:

That's the girl P her brother's worked the doors in town I know them from way back,saw her at a funeral last year she's wearing well tell your kid .

Thought it must be mate. She didn't have much to worry about with 'hard men' boyfriends with one of the brothers in particular as back up ;) Yes, the one who worked the doors. Good footballer as a teenager and always a handy lad better not to get on the wrong side of.

Caught up with them (2 of the brothers and her) a couple of years back at a pub in Totty. Eldest brother now passed away if I recall correctly? Had a great night with them and they were keen to hear how it was going for the Sydney branch of the family :D

We may have to take this private mate. Probably boring the pants off some of the good folk of WWays,.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
14 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Argie conscripts never stood a chance against the Marines.

Especially considering the yomp to come up behind them. It was reported that their officers were telling them not to get captured by the marines as they'd eat them! 😂

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Especially considering the yomp to come up behind them. It was reported that their officers were telling them not to get captured by the marines as they'd eat them! 😂

There was a huge gap between the officers and the men in the Argie army. Those conscripts were always going to crumble

The element of the Argie forces to come out of the conflict with its reputation enhanced was the air force.

• Members
2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

There was a huge gap between the officers and the men in the Argie army. Those conscripts were always going to crumble

The element of the Argie forces to come out of the conflict with its reputation enhanced was the air force.

Yes and those French supplied Exocet missiles which caused mayhem - especially with the Sheffield.

Didnt they only actually have 6 missiles though? I'm not sure if we knew that at the time, hence the plans to send SF to the mainland to attack the air base where they were stationed.

Sounds like it led to all sorts of bother within the SAS later on over how that plan fell apart.

28 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Some of which failed to detonate I believe. If a few more of them had it would have made a difference to the whole campaign

The big mistake for the Argies  was to not attack the Carriers with what Exocets they had. The likes of Sheffield and others while being losses we didn't need were kind of expendable in small numbers. The big loss was the ship carrying virtually all of the Chinooks , I think it was the Atlantic Conveyor.

Also the Vulcan Bomber attack on Stanley Airfield that dropped a bomb on the runway making it unusable for their Fast jets , if they had been able to use that the War would of probably been lost.

Edited by dusan nikolic

33 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The big mistake for the Argies  was to not attack the Carriers with what Exocets they had. The likes of Sheffield and others while being losses we didn't need were kind of expendable in small numbers. The big loss was the ship carrying virtually all of the Chinooks , I think it was the Atlantic Conveyor.

Also the Vulcan Bomber attack on Stanley Airfield that dropped a bomb on the runway making it unusable for their Fast jets , if they had been able to use that the War would of probably been lost.

I guess they were probably trying to get at Hermes with the exocets and couldn't get past the frigates doing their jobs as radar pickets. Don't know that for sure. But for certain if they'd hit Hermes it would have been game over. Hermes remained as far from the range of the Entadards as she could without at the same time compromising her key overall role

Operation Black Buck was the Vulcan Bomber thing. There was damage to the runway but not as much as the RAF would have liked. It definitely stopped any use of fast jets although I think they could still use transport planes. Black Buck is very controversial. Some label it was a waste of time and simply an expedient for the RAF to get in on the act. Senior Navy people certainly thought that t the time. Inter-forces rivalry alive and well! It was certainly a logistical masterpiece.

1 hour ago, dusan nikolic said:

It was mainly Weesex V helicopters on the Atlantic Conveyor.  My dad should have been finished in Navy but stayed on to supervise building 12 out of .mothballed units and spare parts. We sat on Plymouth Hoe watching it be loaded. Luckily he wasnt allowed to sail with it.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

I guess they were probably trying to get at Hermes with the exocets and couldn't get past the frigates doing their jobs as radar pickets. Don't know that for sure. But for certain if they'd hit Hermes it would have been game over. Hermes remained as far from the range of the Entadards as she could without at the same time compromising her key overall role

Operation Black Buck was the Vulcan Bomber thing. There was damage to the runway but not as much as the RAF would have liked. It definitely stopped any use of fast jets although I think they could still use transport planes. Black Buck is very controversial. Some label it was a waste of time and simply an expedient for the RAF to get in on the act. Senior Navy people certainly thought that t the time. Inter-forces rivalry alive and well! It was certainly a logistical masterpiece.

Black Buck was certainly controversial,it must have shocked the argentines to the core that we could reach that far but it did hit home to the Argentines if our Bombers could get 4,000 miles to the Falklands , then their mainland was in reach as well , I think a number of Fast jets were kept from the front line for home defence duties.

36 minutes ago, green genie said:

It was mainly Weesex V helicopters on the Atlantic Conveyor.  My dad should have been finished in Navy but stayed on to supervise building 12 out of .mothballed units and spare parts. We sat on Plymouth Hoe watching it be loaded. Luckily he wasnt allowed to sail with it.

Blimey that was a lucky escape , but your dad was still a vital cog , without whom we could never have retaken them

The helicopters lost 

6 wessex , 3 chinook and a Lynx , all meaning a lot of Yomping ahead.

11 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Black Buck was certainly controversial,it must have shocked the argentines to the core that we could reach that far but it did hit home to the Argentines if our Bombers could get 4,000 miles to the Falklands , then their mainland was in reach as well , I think a number of Fast jets were kept from the front line for home defence duties.

This was an electric moment for the islanders. When the bombs began to drop, and then shortly after Harriers screamed over on reconnaisance, they knew for sure that the British were coming. After years of talks with Argentina they had good reason to feel there had been a long drawn out process of them being sold out and that there'd be no military riposte. 

25 minutes ago, jeep said:

Can anyone recommend a good book about The Falklands War?

I've just finished quite a good one - "Mike Curtis, Close Quarter Battle" - which is his story of being in the Paras & has quite a few chapters about his time in The Falklands, mostly from a Paras' perspective, but isn't specifically about the Falklands.

5 hours ago, jeep said:

Can anyone recommend a good book about The Falklands War?

I recently read Sharkey Ward's memoir about Sea Harrier in the war but its definitely controversial, the bloke is a fighter pilot legend but very much knows that he is. It rivals Peter Hook's "Substance" for page after page of vitriol about everyone else but him. Hated how the sister carrier Hermes was being run, absolutely despised the RAF and Black Buck comes in for major criticism too. Worth reading if you're into finding out about the air war though.

Also recently read "Across An Angry Sea" by Cedric Delves who commanded D Squadron SAS in the Falklands, it's a bit slow going at times but gives a balanced view, hes actually very respectful of the Argentines throughout. Had many an opportunity to order some massive loss of life but opted to capture instead. 

I've read a couple of books by the islanders. Very moving tales of what they went through for those few months. Brave tales of resistance, loss of loved ones and joy at liberation. 

In one of those books I really enjoyed a chapter devoted to sightings that people can recall of men who clearly weren't Argies but who everybody also knew weren't locals - the inference being that they were UK special services. There are also documented stories of the SAS and SBS making themselves known to the locals - and they were there long before San Carlos. 

The locals also played a really strong role in the logistics behind the yomp from San Carlos across East Falkland. This having become necessary due to the loss of helicopters on the Atlantic Conveyor.

SAS were based down in Chile a month before the bombing raid. My Dad was special forces and was on call for the Falklands (obviously only found out about this later). They were detailed to also scout out the military airport in Buenos Aries, in case it needed to be put out of commission.

The Chilean government were "assisting" and the US were sharing any intelligence they had. Plus not to forget the support from the Canadian, Kiwi and Aussies, to name but a few