Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trouble on the terraces

BoltonBoy80

44 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Thatcher.

Up there with Churchill for me.

The Tory conference went on the day after the bombing.

Stood up to Scargill and won.

Won the Falklands.

One amazingly strong woman leader.

They don’t make them like her these days with all these lefty snowflakes everywhere.

She (or someone like her) wouldn't last 2 minutes nowadays.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I hated Thatchers ideas and especially the way she divided society and destroyed the mining industry out of a political grudge. 

But as a leader of principle and belief hard to fault as you say. Ohh for her sort today and I never thought I would say that. 

Quite interesting to hear her take on it. In her mind she didn't have a choice. You can hear it when she's speaking. It's from her heart as much as it's from her head. Maybe that's a problem? Maybe it's a strength? 

The Falklands was a massive opportunity for her to regain popularity as she was trailing in the opinion polls.Her decision to pull Endurance away from the Falklands was a big mistake & encouraged the Argentinian junta to have a go.

Turned out well for her politically in the end but politicians don’t fight wars soldiers do.

No praise from me .

She was the cunt of all cunts, as an ex miner! She killed all industry, not just mining.  She was the start of Englands demise! Now, no industry, very little manufacturing. Thats my take on her, and many many more! I am  Bolton fan, dont see the relevance of that twat on this thread. Trouble on the Terraces!

4 hours ago, captainmed said:

Thatcher.

Up there with Churchill for me.

The Tory conference went on the day after the bombing.

Stood up to Scargill and won.

Won the Falklands.

One amazingly strong woman leader.

They don’t make them like her these days with all these lefty snowflakes everywhere.

What utter crap , she provoked the strike by going against agreed union and Coal board procedure regarding the closure of a colliery. Instead of a joint review taking place regarding a closure , she immediately ordered the closure of 20 mines , with the loss of 20,000+ jobs  at the collieries alone. She knew full well the Union couldn't and wouldn't stand by and let that just happen , thus prompting the most bitter industrial dispute in history and costing lives on all sides in the process.

• Members
16 hours ago, Ani said:

I hated Thatchers ideas and especially the way she divided society and destroyed the mining industry out of a political grudge. 

But as a leader of principle and belief hard to fault as you say. Ohh for her sort today and I never thought I would say that. 

'Destroyed the mining industry' for very simple reasons. Firstly, all the loss making mines had to go. Community affected or not. Political grudge my arse.

Secondly, Scargill and his cronies were either supportive of communism themselves or at the very least provided a very convenient vehicle for subversives to wreak havoc. Had to be defeated and were. Communism was on the way out after that and only the crazies remain. Even China is a capitalist valhalla now despite retaining much of the oppressive practices so favoured by the KGB and the Stasi.

Edited by bolty58

• Members
11 hours ago, woolli said:

She was the cunt of all cunts, as an ex miner! She killed all industry, not just mining.  She was the start of Englands demise! Now, no industry, very little manufacturing. Thats my take on her, and many many more! I am  Bolton fan, dont see the relevance of that twat on this thread. Trouble on the Terraces!

You're well named son.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

'Destroyed the mining industry' for very simple reasons. Firstly, all the loss making mines had to go. Community affected or not. Political grudge my arse.

Secondly, Scargill and his cronies were either supportive of communism themselves or at the very least provided a very convenient vehicle for subversives to wreak havoc. Had to be defeated and were. Communism was on the way out after that and only the crazies remain. Even China is a capitalist valhalla now despite retaining much of the oppressive practices so favoured by the KGB and the Stasi.

Apologies I should have said mining communities. There was a staged plan for the closure of the loss making mines. Pretty sure Labour closed more mines. Whilst in opposition in the early 70s the Tories came up with the Ridley Plan  which  was all about breaking the power of the unions after the NUM effectively bought down Heaths Govt  

As your answer implies the programme Thatcher put in place was as much about beating the NUM as it was about the economics. It might surprise you that I actually can see why that was needed  

The original plan around the closures also involved investment in the areas affected by the closures. This never happened leading to long term social impacts in these areas. I wish I could find a great article on this, you would love it. It is written from a non political perspective and basically says. ‘It had to be done the only thing that was wrong was that Maggie was so focussed on winning the battle she neglected to look after the wounded afterwards which as PM she could have done

The grudge came from her seeing the power of the Unions as a minister under Heath in the early 70s. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Ani said:

Apologies I should have said mining communities. There was a staged plan for the closure of the loss making mines. Pretty sure Labour closed more mines. Whilst in opposition in the early 70s the Tories came up with the Ridley Plan  which  was all about breaking the power of the unions after the NUM effectively bought down Heaths Govt  

As your answer implies the programme Thatcher put in place was as much about beating the NUM as it was about the economics. It might surprise you that I actually can see why that was needed  

The original plan around the closures also involved investment in the areas affected by the closures. This never happened leading to long term social impacts in these areas. I wish I could find a great article on this, you would love it. It is written from a non political perspective and basically says. ‘It had to be done the only thing that was wrong was that Maggie was so focussed on winning the battle she neglected to look after the wounded afterwards which as PM she could have done

The grudge came from her seeing the power of the Unions as a minister under Heath in the early 70s. 

Can't really argue with that. A rational and reasonable response.

Scargil wasnt a member of the CP.

Mcgahey was & was against a full blown confrontation .Communists of that era were more interested in low profile operation & recruitment than confrontation .

The government picked the fight the ground & the conditions .Even if Scargill had been canny enough to stall he became a hostage to fortune as the Yorkshire miners forced him into a corner by initiating the strike.

At the end of the day it was a defensive operation by the miners .Some people forget that.

Joe Gormley Scargil's predecessor managed to get the country over a barrel & got the better of the Government in a wage dispute. He wasnt a commie either.

4 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Scargil wasnt a member of the CP.

Mcgahey was & was against a full blown confrontation .Communists of that era were more interested in low profile operation & recruitment than confrontation .

The government picked the fight the ground & the conditions .Even if Scargill had been canny enough to stall he became a hostage to fortune as the Yorkshire miners forced him into a corner by initiating the strike.

At the end of the day it was a defensive operation by the miners .Some people forget that.

Joe Gormley Scargil's predecessor managed to get the country over a barrel & got the better of the Government in a wage dispute. He wasnt a commie either.

You’re right, Gormley achieved far more than that twat Scargill, all though he was pushing against an open door with Wilson, Callaghan and Heath.

The power of union leaders was not good for the rest of society, someone had to put a stop to it and MT sorted it

3 hours ago, Moon boy said:

You’re right, Gormley achieved far more than that twat Scargill, all though he was pushing against an open door with Wilson, Callaghan and Heath.

The power of union leaders was not good for the rest of society, someone had to put a stop to it and MT sorted it

And it’s all been shit-hot since hasn’t it