Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Game What Gutted You.

leigh white

Losing to Chelsea wasn't spineless we did what we could that day -  we should have stayed up comfortably that season but we lacked proper organisation and threw too many points away. Even then we were cheated out of it. 

Oldham for me sticks out. Would have been a semi against Man Utd - we'd battered them for first 20 minutes or so - could have easily been 2-0 up but they hung in there without doing much - they were exactly the sort of rubbish side we struggled against in that period - we did better against stronger sides. It was just a gutting way to lose.

However, I don't think I've been more gutted than losing to Villa in the semi. Chance of an FA Cup final and we really, really should have won. 

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Losing to Chelsea wasn't spineless we did what we could that day -  we should have stayed up comfortably that season but we lacked proper organisation and threw too many points away. Even then we were cheated out of it. 

Oldham for me sticks out. Would have been a semi against Man Utd - we'd battered them for first 20 minutes or so - could have easily been 2-0 up but they hung in there without doing much - they were exactly the sort of rubbish side we struggled against in that period - we did better against stronger sides. It was just a gutting way to lose.

However, I don't think I've been more gutted than losing to Villa in the semi. Chance of an FA Cup final and we really, really should have won. 

I've never known Wembley way as quiet after the game , even the Villa fans seemed subdued , I think they knew they had got out of jail that day.

10 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

agree with Chelsea and Oldham, we were 1 win away from it being so much better

another one I always remember being devastated about was Derby at home in 2001/02 season - it was a 6 pointer in March and when they did us 3-1 I thought that was it, we were going down, again, and we'd never be a PL team

then Djorkeaff arrived officially a week later and everything was ok

He played in the Derby game. He'd been here a month by then. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

He played in the Derby game. He'd been here a month by then. 

aye, by officially I meant he started to have a big influence in our fate when he scored a brace at Charlton and assists/goals and an upturn in fortunes followed, maybe "turned up" would've been a better way to put it

Blowing a 2-0 lead against a 10-man Arsenal team in 2008. Last minute Samuel own goal.

Blowing another 2-0 lead against West Brom right at the end of the season we got relegated from the Prem.

Edited by jmjhb

16 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Give over.........Chelsea were half arsed in that game, iirc they had a big European game coming up & were only interested in avoiding injury, the Chelsea fans were happy for us to win, so it was all set up for us but we never looked like getting a result in a game when we should have thrown everything at Chelsea .

I can always live with going down fighting but we were spineless that day. ( & Black Sunday )

1 minute ago, bolton va va said:

Give over.........Chelsea were half arsed in that game, iirc they had a big European game coming up & were only interested in avoiding injury, the Chelsea fans were happy for us to win, so it was all set up for us but we never looked like getting a result in a game when we should have thrown everything at Chelsea .

I can always live with going down fighting but we were spineless that day. ( & Black Sunday )

They were a better side than us and yes they weren't busting a gut but we huffed and puffed but in truth never looked much like getting anything. 

I'd not call it spineless just not very effective. We tried. In truth we'd messed it up long before that - we only had a chance that day because of an unexpected and out of character win at Villa. Had we got a bit more backbone and people who could actually defend in that season we'd have been mid table. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

They were a better side than us and yes they weren't busting a gut but we huffed and puffed but in truth never looked much like getting anything. 

I'd not call it spineless just not very effective. We tried. In truth we'd messed it up long before that - we only had a chance that day because of an unexpected and out of character win at Villa. Had we got a bit more backbone and people who could actually defend in that season we'd have been mid table. 

If not spineless then useless & clueless. Chelsea, weren't interested as the had the Cup winners Cup final in Copenhagen on the Wednesday & we were still 2nd best by a mile. 

5 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

To be honest the signings before the transfer cut off reeked of desperation , Franz Carr, John Salako , even Bob Taylor , who in fairness to him did really well and almost kept us up.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Stoke (a) where we got relegated. Some players coming off laughing and joking with the Stoke players was a particularly bitter pill to swallow.

Yep, definitely not enough passion from the players and the management.

There was so much at stake and we were half-hearted.

I was fcuking fuming. 😡

• Moderators
11 hours ago, leigh white said:

Losing at home to York City in April 76, they had only won one away game all season and had a bigger freak than Peter Crouch called Jimmy Hinch, he scored a goal against us that night

Similarly, Carlisle 

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Losing to Tranmere in the play-off final.  Losing to Watford in the final too.

I think losing a play-off final hurts more than a relegation.

Play offs defeats were miles worse than the cup final defeats despite my only wish seeing us win a major cup.

I agree on relegations as well. Play offs feel like your season goes tits up in 90 minutes or 180 minutes in semis. At least you appreciate you had a season to avoid relegation.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Losing to Tranmere in the play-off final.  Losing to Watford in the final too.

I think losing a play-off final hurts more than a relegation.

Not the final but play offs and relegation was a double whammy with Aldershot. I still can’t stand Aldershot

The play off final defeats against Watford and Tranmere are obvious ones along with Black Sunday. 

It's derby defeats that always get me the worst though. 

At the time the three hammerings we had at home by Bury  (1-4, 2-3 and 2-4) in the 1980s were bad moments. I hated losing to 2-1 to Wigan away when we played them for the first time in many years in 2005. The 4-3 defeat at Blackpool in 2011 and a 2-1 league defeat there (two very late goals from them) in 1990. The 1-4 home defeat v Blackburn in 2001 was a tough one to take.

I guess you'd also have to mention the 2-0 defeat at Chelsea that relegated us in 98 and the Oldham FA Cup Quarter Final defeat in 1994.

Those with longer memories - Everton in the League Cup in 77 and Wolves on the last day of 76/7 when we needed the win to go up.

Two games for me

Stoke relegation game. Shrugged my shoulders coming out of the ground since the news was that City had lost so our result was irrelevant. Didn’t find out til I was sat on the coach that we could have avoided relegation with a win. Really hit me hard then. I was front row right behind the nets and thought that the ball was going to squirm under their keeper late on for a winner 

Everton League Cup semi second leg. As a 13 year old I was near to bursting that night. Back row of the Manny Road stand (only tickets we could get). Gutted when Bob Latchford scored but went wild when McKenzie put that pen wide. Really thought that we could pull it back and I would go to Wembley. Remember my dad being utterly devastated as he’d seen so much shit served up since he’d been to the 58 final

Stoke semi just left me numb. Think the score line did me a favour as it just drained me and left me feeling nowt

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It's derby defeats that always get me the worst though. 

Its the other way for me, at least with a derby defeat you get maybe a chance that season to get revenge

It's the games where it feels like you're whole season has gone to waste in just one game and you have to try and do it all over again, probably with a weaker squad

Which is why its play offs over relegation for me 

I'm old enough to remember when it was top 3 promoted and there weren't any playoffs. So for me the endings of season 75-76 when we finished 4th on the last day of the season and did the exact same thing the following season. West brom pipped us in 75-76 and Notts Forest in 76-77, who went on to great things. 

I was only young at the time and it broke my heart both times. Fortunately we went up as Champions the next season.

27 minutes ago, Popeye doyle said:

I'm old enough to remember when it was top 3 promoted and there weren't any playoffs. So for me the endings of season 75-76 when we finished 4th on the last day of the season and did the exact same thing the following season. West brom pipped us in 75-76 and Notts Forest in 76-77, who went on to great things. 

I was only young at the time and it broke my heart both times. Fortunately we went up as Champions the next season.

Yeh i remember those days, he shaped a decent side did Ian Greaves.

3rd time lucky - and the previous narrow misses made that night at Ewood even sweeter.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh i remember those days, he shaped a decent side did Ian Greaves.

3rd time lucky - and the previous narrow misses made that night at Ewood even sweeter.

In the words of that great crooner Peter Reid... What a diffence a year makes 😂