Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Game What Gutted You.

leigh white

One as a kid.

We rarely won away in the 80’s and came agonisingly close here, not once, but twice.

Newcastle away Jan 83’.

1-0 up and they equalised in the last minute. We took the lead again on 90 mins, but we still couldn’t win. They equalised again with the last kick of the game.

Gutted.

Same season as when they brought 10K in  the previous August a la KK.

11 minutes ago, LeggyMountbatten said:

Boro - Carling Cup Final - closest we will ever get to winning a major trophy in my lifetime

Stoke SF

Villa SF

Accrington 1-7

Boro was mine

same reason and we was slight favourites not like back in 95 against Liverpool 

sticks as Blackburn & wigan have won a major trophy in recent ish times 

12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Lisbon was an utter dropped bollock we’d have got to that final if we’d took Lisbon serious, would have been biggest day out ever in manchester and we threw the game for fuck all. Still feel sick thinking about that game. 

Rangers home and away next round as well...

1999 Watford play off final - never turned up.

2000 Aston Villa FA Cup Semi Final - heart breaking, will never forgive DH for that miss. 

2004 - Boro Carling Cup Final. That was our chance to win a major trophy in our modern history and we even managed to avoid Arsenal in the final.

2008 - Sporting Lisbon away. What an absolute waste of our moment in the sun. 

2013 - Blackpool at home to cost us a place in the play-offs in our first season down.

Pretty much everything from 2013 on wards with the exception of 2016/2017 season in League One.

Game that really gutted me was 3 2 loss at home to arsenal. I'd just split up from girl I'd been seeing for year or two and when we were winning 2 nil at half time I remember thinking fuck it lifes gonna be great without her.. Arsenal then came back and some mouthy cockney bastards rubbed it in at horwich parkway. I've absolutely despised arsenal since, worst fans in the league.. thankfully splitting up with her was one of the best things that ever happened to me but didnt feel like that a fulltime.

Besides that obvious ones

sporting Lisbon knowing we were touching distance of a trip to ibrox, stoke semi, boro league cup final and black sunday, villa semi and reading 7 1 I can barely remember train journey home but I remember it dawning on me how shit we really were.. little did I know what was coming 

Well over it now but as a little boy i had tears in my eyes after the Everton semi, never cried but was close, my dad clocked this, sighed, then chuckled and said" Eh lad, if thaz gunna support this lot thaz best get used to it" never a more true statement.

Its always the hope that kills you.

5 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Lisbon was an utter dropped bollock we’d have got to that final if we’d took Lisbon serious, would have been biggest day out ever in manchester and we threw the game for fuck all. Still feel sick thinking about that game. 

Spot on. I had tickets for the final as well. I’ll never forgive us tossing that off

Wigan away after resting the players for Lisbon, losing to ten men for 85 minutes. Had a fair old Sunday session in Wigan after that.

Utterly spineless performance and I thought we were down. Think we got smashed at Villa after that too.

Fair play for the way we rallied at the end of the season though. 

Edited by BWFC_LOVE

Oldham at home in fa cup,as I was a young lad.Tranmere in playoffs hurt like hell. United thumping us at Burden was bad. Like others have said Boro at Cardiff as thought it was our time. Villa semi and then being down to ten men , I could not see us losing. But worst must be stoke at Wembley. Seeing us totally outclassed by them was shocking. 

On 02/04/2020 at 07:27, Duck Egg said:

Good question this.  Apart from the obvious hammerings and one off big games, there are those matches when you'll be on your way home and just think "FFS Bolton!" & be annoyed for the rest of the weekend.

Rotherham (a) 91.  Conceding a last minute equaliser that totally derailed our promotion chase.

Oldham (h) 94 FA Cup.  When you think of the sides we'd beaten to get to the Quarter finals, we'd landed the kindest draw against a then struggling Premier league side.  I don't recall them offering anything that day, we'd passed them off the park but just couldn't break them down.  One simple mistake from Paddy and we were out.

Marseille (a) UEFA cup. I'd really begun to believe that our name was on the cup that year.  

Rotherham a great shout, so gutted, but as someone else pointed out if we'd gone up we probably didnt get Rioch as manager, in hindsight Rotherham were partly responsible for White Hot etc!

Oldham - yes - not often remembered, but how big was that game at the time?  Man U at Wembley if we'd won?  If we had Man U now in the cup semi it would all feel very different, but in those halycon days we would have given them a great game and even in defeat we'd have really put ourselves on the map.

8 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The 2-2 against United at home, after we went 2-1 up minutes from time, was a right fucker.

Aye, Bellion equalised with the last kick when Nicky Hunt had the chance to clear.

Villa and Stoke semis hurt, but nothing like that Ipswich playoff. 

• Site Supporter

That game at Newcastle when Shearer blocked Jussi's kick-out then pleaded with the ref that he'd held onto the ball for longer than the new 6 second rule. 

Cunt scored from the indirect free kick.