Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Premier League Players - give up salaries?

Smiley

Debate will roar on for the next few days. Should the 500 or so EPL players on average £50,000 per week..... PER WEEK, offer to take a vastly reduced wage and donate the rest to “the crisis” in the UK?

Edited by Smiley

They’ve got outgoings in just the same manner as the rest of us so why should they? I’ve no doubt whatsoever that a lot of them will already be doing something off their own back and just don’t want to make a song and dance about it.

Footballers are such an easy target for this kind of thing. I don’t remember anyone clamouring for Tom Hanks to chuck in, and he’s had the virus.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They’ve got outgoings in just the same manner as the rest of us so why should they? I’ve no doubt whatsoever that a lot of them will already be doing something off their own back and just don’t want to make a song and dance about it.

Footballers are such an easy target for this kind of thing. I don’t remember anyone clamouring for Tom Hanks to chuck in, and he’s had the virus.

Indeed they will have outgoings.

For me the bit that is off, is the fact that far lower paid staff are expected to potentially lose a chunk of salary and it's reasonable to assume a higher proportion of their salary is likely to go on their outgoings.

I do accept that many a footballer does many a good deed and may well already be helping out quietly, behind the scenes.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Indeed they will have outgoings.

For me the bit that is off, is the fact that far lower paid staff are expected to potentially lose a chunk of salary and it's reasonable to assume a higher proportion of their salary is likely to go on their outgoings.

I do accept that many a footballer does many a good deed and may well already be helping out quietly, behind the scenes.

Don’t disagree with that at all, but the buck for that falls with the actual clubs - and maybe their owners, at a push - rather than the players themselves. Not as if any of the political parties are calling for similar actions from any of their benefactors. 

• Site Supporter

At Premier league level, they could probably give up enough of their salary to ensure the rest of the non playing staff get a normal wage without it impacting on their standard of living too much.

No reason why they should though. It’s down to the paymasters. Let’s face it, all they care about is the football & money side of it.

7 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Course they have outgoings like the rest of us 

but come on some of these men are pulling 100-200k per fucking week 

It’s ridiculous and if they had anything about them they would take cuts 

On that note, think how much they (in theory) will have paid in tax and they’ve already more than paid their way in terms of donations to the NHS. 

11 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Course they have outgoings like the rest of us 

but come on some of these men are pulling 100-200k per fucking week 

It’s ridiculous and if they had anything about them they would take cuts 

Most of it is paid to offshore accounts too.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

On that note, think how much they (in theory) will have paid in tax and they’ve already more than paid their way in terms of donations to the NHS. 

Could go down a wormhole with that- ultimately fans pay their wages via tv, gate receipts or customers of owners in other business.

If all these start to feel the pinch and sack off football or products that fund owners, players would be fucked soon enough.

Can see both sides of the argument, but when it comes down to it, I reckon they'll make a financial sacrifice.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Hopefully, see Howe has 

For sure 

Bournemouth are one that have gone down the furlough route, if it doesn't apply to the players directly, then it would seem particularly inappropriate for them not to make some sort of gesture.

Good on him for doing so!

I think furloughing players would be pretty controversial. Allowing the govt. to pay them all £2,500. Would feel like a piss take. 
On top of the lost tax & NI contributions. it would be a double kick in the bollocks for the govt. 

Edited by Smiley

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Smiley said:

I think furloughing players would be pretty controversial. Allowing the govt. to pay them all £2,500. Would feel like a piss take. 
On top of the lost tax & NI contributions. it would be a double kick in the bollocks for the govt. 

Definitely worth more to the government paying full tax.

13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Agreed. Very easy targets. People are very good at offering other people’s money up as well it seems.

Fwiw I think they could do with a bit of a reality check and take a bit of a hit as also the man on the street is this time. Would people prefer they gave up salary so club keep it and pay others or would they rather donations? 

Foootballers are Young lads earning good money and they’ll be spending as they earn and why not? It’s ridiculous what they get paid but that’s for the clubs offering it not them. They are likely to have very big outgoings and I think a collective drop makes no sense and a donation would be better per individual.

• Moderators

Every time a footballer fucks up, they roll wheel out this roll model bollocks. Some arrogant cunt being paid more a week than genuine everyday heroes earn more a week shows how broken the system is. They can redeem themselves by donating a massive chunk of their earnings during this time, not a token 10k here and there (which they won't do). Then when it's all over and they drive past you in their chromeplated Lambo, it should be the law that you have to give them wanker signs.

15 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Hold on we all have outgoings it’s in proportion to earnings and many footballers will no doubt have other business interests 

they like us can’t spend anything so outgoings get reduced 

everyone should be in this together 

I agree we should be in this together.

I disagree on the clamour to get them to do it. They are easy targets. 

Anyone who has took a cut I assume was told they need to. If anyone volunteered then fair play. 

13 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Every time a footballer fucks up, they roll wheel out this roll model bollocks. Some arrogant cunt being paid more a week than genuine everyday heroes earn more a week shows how broken the system is. They can redeem themselves by donating a massive chunk of their earnings during this time, not a token 10k here and there (which they won't do). Then when it's all over and they drive past you in their chromeplated Lambo, it should be the law that you have to give them wanker signs.

Loads do give stuff. Not everything is public knowledge. 

Just now, tomski said:

I agree we should be in this together.

I disagree on the clamour to get them to do it. They are easy targets. 

Anyone who has took a cut I assume was told they need to. If anyone volunteered then fair play. 

Targets yes ok not their fault agents etc but we are talking about silly money here, I doubt any premiership footballers will be getting onto NatWest for a 3 month mortgage holiday 

But yes everyone not just footballers there will be many other professions who could no doubt take a cut 

I think if the likes of Spurs & Newcastle are still paying their players full whack for sitting at home now, but asking the govt to pay 80% of the tea lady's wage, then that's very wrong.

I'd expect the top earners in any big company to take a bit of a hit to ensure the lower paid staff don't need furloughing, not just football clubs.