Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A bit long winded and repetitive that. Food for thought though. Good luck to him.

Yes its too long winded, but he's spot on.  Its been obvious for weeks there would be no football before we get a vaccine or cure, so realistically 2020 has been a right off for ages.  As the Boreham Wood chairman says, its pointless getting "advice" from the league sayinig prepare for games etc, when all that does is cost each team money in keeping players under contract, maintaining pitches etc.  Everyone needs to be realistic and deal in reality.

8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes its too long winded, but he's spot on.  Its been obvious for weeks there would be no football before we get a vaccine or cure, so realistically 2020 has been a right off for ages.  As the Boreham Wood chairman says, its pointless getting "advice" from the league sayinig prepare for games etc, when all that does is cost each team money in keeping players under contract, maintaining pitches etc.  Everyone needs to be realistic and deal in reality.

If we can get to zero new cases by end of August which is feasible as China and South Korea have done it then I reckon with track trace isolate in place then football could start without closed door games

31 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

If we can get to zero new cases by end of August which is feasible as China and South Korea have done it then I reckon with track trace isolate in place then football could start without closed door games

I think the question is why? Behind closed doors I mean. It will be crap

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Honestly I’d not mind. I’d understand that the standard would drop and what not but Sat 3pm one league game a week would do me as a match goer. Fans and players closer together again. Clubs needing or understanding they need fans. 

Might be simplistic and nostalgic but I’d take it.

Agree on subscriptions. It amazes me they are pushing for season end and they’ve not just asked for their money back this season. 

I think the PL know they will need to take a big financial hit in calendar years 2020 / 2021 

I expect they will try to make up for it when we are back to full normal by showing even more games. They will probably try to get to a place where all games are available live in the long term, including Saturday 3pm 

To your point around a fallout between the PL and Sky / BT, thinking about It, the PL may look to stream themselves in a similar way to the new Disney+ service rather than go through the Networks. They are a long way of being able to do that though 

55 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I think the PL know they will need to take a big financial hit in calendar years 2020 / 2021 

I expect they will try to make up for it when we are back to full normal by showing even more games. They will probably try to get to a place where all games are available live in the long term, including Saturday 3pm 

To your point around a fallout between the PL and Sky / BT, thinking about It, the PL may look to stream themselves in a similar way to the new Disney+ service rather than go through the Networks. They are a long way of being able to do that though 

I think the 3pm broadcast blackout law has been removed very recently 

2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I thought this was quite amusing and unless I have missed something not seen it mentioned on here - 

If games are played behind closed doors I can see some clubs here copying and cashing in on what Borussia Monchengladbach fans have done 

You can now pay to have a cardboard cut out of yourself put in the stadium for 19 Euros 

Apparently 10000 fans have so far signed up ... 

Pictures of fans, players, coaches and staff of Bundesliga club Borussia Mönchengladbach are seen at Borussia-Park in Mönchengladbach, Germany, on April 28, 2020.

There is a link below that explains and that in turn leads to the application 

https://time.com/5828699/soccer-cardboard-cutouts/

Could see this catching on ... thinking about it you could even put deceased relatives cut outs in the ground 

Put a bit of background noise over the tannoys ... would anyone watching on sky really look that closely  ? 

Remember when Arsenal did that at Highbury at one end in the early 90s?

Now for the internet age you could have have them all online and then subscriber fans can press a keyboard button that registers a faint noise down to Sky HQ servers. If enough do it then the cumulative crowd effects would be real time; or maybe 10 seconds off. Or summat.

Just fucking bin it all and get the money back by not paying the PL players for a year. When they sue, the courts can say "force majeure" and when they take it to the court of appeal they can tell them to fuck off, and when they go the court of human rights they can tell them to fuck off as well. And, as you've appealed, you're now barred from football for the rest of your natural - and then seize their assets.

or summat

7 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I thought this was quite amusing and unless I have missed something not seen it mentioned on here - 

If games are played behind closed doors I can see some clubs here copying and cashing in on what Borussia Monchengladbach fans have done 

You can now pay to have a cardboard cut out of yourself put in the stadium for 19 Euros 

Apparently 10000 fans have so far signed up ... 

Pictures of fans, players, coaches and staff of Bundesliga club Borussia Mönchengladbach are seen at Borussia-Park in Mönchengladbach, Germany, on April 28, 2020.

There is a link below that explains and that in turn leads to the application 

https://time.com/5828699/soccer-cardboard-cutouts/

Could see this catching on ... thinking about it you could even put deceased relatives cut outs in the ground 

Put a bit of background noise over the tannoys ... would anyone watching on sky really look that closely  ? 

I could insert joke based on cardboard cutouts, not the fans, but for our players and "would the viewers notice" 🙂

6 hours ago, tomski said:

I think the 3pm broadcast blackout law has been removed very recently 

Just to help finish the current season 

If it can help them claw money back longer term then I would imagine they will push for it to be extended 

If it helps the economy and tax revenue I doubt the government would oppose it post Covid with a hefty bill to pay 

35 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Merkel announcing the start date for Ze German league today. When do we think?

Daily Mail - Merkel slams the brakes on - Bundlesiga will not be allowed to return until May 22 at the earliest

the government has  insisted there must be a two-week quarantine for all teams in the division before action can resume.

According to German press agency, the DPA, that could take the form of a training camp.

3 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Daily Mail - Merkel slams the brakes on - Bundlesiga will not be allowed to return until May 22 at the earliest

the government has  insisted there must be a two-week quarantine for all teams in the division before action can resume.

According to German press agency, the DPA, that could take the form of a training camp.

not surprised to honest. 

South Korean league is coming back on Friday. Behind closed doors, managers & referees in masks, crackdowns on unneccesary talking/spitting. Crowds to return in a few weeks. An agreed % of the games have to be played for the season to count.

As a benchmark, they decided it'd be safe to resume playing when new cases had been at less than 30 a day for two weeks. We're rumbling along at over 4k a day and still talking about being back playing next month.

It's madness this. By far the most fair, least disruptive and simplest is to write it off and try and get going again in August/September. 

Guest Nordkurve
11 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Remember when Arsenal did that at Highbury at one end in the early 90s?

Now for the internet age you could have have them all online and then subscriber fans can press a keyboard button that registers a faint noise down to Sky HQ servers. If enough do it then the cumulative crowd effects would be real time; or maybe 10 seconds off. Or summat.

Just fucking bin it all and get the money back by not paying the PL players for a year. When they sue, the courts can say "force majeure" and when they take it to the court of appeal they can tell them to fuck off, and when they go the court of human rights they can tell them to fuck off as well. And, as you've appealed, you're now barred from football for the rest of your natural - and then seize their assets.

or summat

The sentiment is right, but if you start bandying about "force Majeure" then every normal person who booked a Flight or a Holiday etc could also get fucked over, and normal people are struggling as it is, without giving Courts an opportunity to stiff them even more.

Aston Villa's chief exec says they oppose neutral grounds  "We’re a club that prides itself on home form. Two-thirds of our wins this season have come at home We’ve got six home games left to play and I think any Villa fan would agree that giving up that advantage is a massive decision for somebody running Aston Villa"

Seems reasonable, so Villa join Brighton in publically saying they don't want matches played at neutral grounds