Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Financial Irregularities part 2

Wanderlust

Likely that a some clubs might struggle due to the current circumstances and given that the EFL aren't particularly known for their compassion wondering if they'll start dishing out points deductions etc when things get back to normal?

It will be an interesting conversation if they void this season and start us off on minus 12 as they'll have to cite Covid as extenuating circumstances whilst now allowing being run into the ground by dodgy owners as a viable reason - and there's surely a conversation to be had around that as neither are in the control of the club. Unless they argue that the owners are the club.

And if all teams are struggling financially, will they have to revisit their allowable spend criteria or allow the game to stagnate?

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Matty said:

Surely if it’s voided, it’s as if it didn’t happen so they will probably find a way to bring the points deduction over as well 

Is have thought out world be restarted, and therefore we start on minus 12 as well.

whilst we might not like it, or would be the correct thing to do, otherwise we've "got away with it"

Although who knows what will or won't happen, it's going to be a mess whatever they decide to do

23 hours ago, masi 51 said:

if they void the season I would expect 20 odd angry chairman,

The only chairmen bothered would be those near the top surely , mid table wouldnt make a difference to them, and those at the bottom would want the season voiding I would imagine!

12 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

The only chairmen bothered would be those near the top surely , mid table wouldnt make a difference to them, and those at the bottom would want the season voiding I would imagine!

Exactly and the majority of clubs would not want to waste next season just to finish the present so a vote might just go to voiding they season

I would prefer starting again in League 1 with -12 rather than being in League 2. We would have half a chance of beating the drop next time

2 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I would prefer starting again in League 1 with -12 rather than being in League 2. We would have half a chance of beating the drop next time

Me too, I also think once large amount of players start coming out of contract the who integrity of the season is lost anyway.

Not sure that fact has really dawned on people as yet.

I agree with the Acc Stanley chairmen, why would we want to extend the contracts of a poorly performing squad to make heavier losses, is a nonsense.

But, starting on minus 12 will have impacted on our ability to assemble a squad. Surely some players we were after will have baulked at joining us on -12 after 6 games.

Therefore, to void the season and put us back on -12 will have the same impact twice. And will the 2 yr embargo be re-applied?

Can of worms here and from a legal perspective, the EFL will really want/need this season to come to some kind of agreed conclusion. They cannot afford to fight the numerous court battles they'll be involved in. Every team that believes they've a chance of promotion (especially the top end of the Championship) will contest a voided season in court.

Ending leagues right now will incur legal action from those relegated despite being in with a chance of staying up, those just missing out on promotion etc.

The only way of ending it properly is to end it properly whenever that may be. Worry about the new season when the old one is over.

This year will be exempt from FFP restrictions or will have some special leniency applied. It’s no different than a business breaching it’s banking covenants during this period nothing will happen but they will need to demonstrate its back to within the parameters there after. 

the sting in the tail there though will be whether clubs try and load losses into this year to mask the upcoming year. Prepayments of loyalty bonuses signing fees etc to make next year look better 

13 minutes ago, Traf said:

But, starting on minus 12 will have impacted on our ability to assemble a squad. Surely some players we were after will have baulked at joining us on -12 after 6 games.

Therefore, to void the season and put us back on -12 will have the same impact twice. And will the 2 yr embargo be re-applied?

Can of worms here and from a legal perspective, the EFL will really want/need this season to come to some kind of agreed conclusion. They cannot afford to fight the numerous court battles they'll be involved in. Every team that believes they've a chance of promotion (especially the top end of the Championship) will contest a voided season in court.

Ending leagues right now will incur legal action from those relegated despite being in with a chance of staying up, those just missing out on promotion etc.

The only way of ending it properly is to end it properly whenever that may be. Worry about the new season when the old one is over.

One possible solution i saw ( which i liked because it favoured us obv ) was to only have promotions but no relegations from the current positions, but increase the number of relegation positions next season to redress the balance !!

1 minute ago, bolton va va said:

One possible solution i saw ( which i liked because it favoured us obv ) was to only have promotions but no relegations from the current positions, but increase the number of relegation positions next season to redress the balance !!

Nobody is going to vote for a league with an increased chance of being relegated.

It's all about self-preservation.

I don't see the reason to come to a hasty decision about this season. There's no football to be played right now anyway, so why not wait until we have a realistic resumption date, before assessing the options?

Talk of the premier lge using four games a day at Wembley to get the season over

Only one outcome if this happens Phil Garside will  of got his wish No relegation from the premier lge

They will break away from the football lge, because the is not a chance in hell of football being played this year.

This could change football in this country for good and certainly not for the better

Edited by masi 51

How are you so sure about not a chance in hell of football being played this year, when you've got plans being discussed at Premier League and EFL level of matches during May/June?

I do think May/June is being too optimistic, but no football at all this year? In full stadiums maybe not, but there will be a major appetite not least from government to have football, (and other sports) behind closed doors if need be, on telly long before the end of the year.

18 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

How are you so sure about not a chance in hell of football being played this year, when you've got plans being discussed at Premier League and EFL level of matches during May/June?

I do think May/June is being too optimistic, but no football at all this year? In full stadiums maybe not, but there will be a major appetite not least from government to have football, (and other sports) behind closed doors if need be, on telly long before the end of the year.

All players will need a test before every game..along with referees manager, stewards

Doctor and ambulance needed.....football is not happening until we have a vaccine

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Nobody is going to vote for a league with an increased chance of being relegated.

It's all about self-preservation.

I don't see the reason to come to a hasty decision about this season. There's no football to be played right now anyway, so why not wait until we have a realistic resumption date, before assessing the options?

Exactly 

Every day we have to consider which way to turn and until there is light at the end of the tunnel the football authorities will sit back as they cannot make a decision yet.

All this rubbish about 3 games a day at Wembley is just garbage

It seems that the world has made a concerted effort to combat coronavirus.

The great minds are focused on developing tests and vaccines.  

Industries have changed their production lines to make items required by health professionals. 

Meanwhile the premier league discuss finishing the season, motivated maybe that they are frightened that their model is going to come crashing down. 

Edited by Morizio

3 minutes ago, Morizio said:

It seems that the world has made a concerted effort to combat coronavirus.

The great minds are focused on developing tests and vaccines.  

Industries have changed their production lines to make items required by health professionals. 

Meanwhile the premier league discuss finishing the season, motivated maybe that they are frightened that their model is going to come crashing down. 

No different than any other large scale business in reality though they are all trying to come out the other side unscathed. 

football the same as other sports have unique challenges with the way players are contracted plus the tv revenue. 

28 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

No different than any other large scale business in reality though they are all trying to come out the other side unscathed. 

football the same as other sports have unique challenges with the way players are contracted plus the tv revenue. 

I think football has had far more bizarre self interest ideas, although UFC came out with one recently. 

Edited by Morizio

1 minute ago, Morizio said:

And the anarchist side of me would love to see it come crashing down...

I’ve said for a long time the game needs to reset. It’s out of control. This could force it the longer it goes on but it would need to go on a lot longer to empty the satchels of the big boys and the tv demand will be higher than ever when it returns.

26 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve said for a long time the game needs to reset. It’s out of control. This could force it the longer it goes on but it would need to go on a lot longer to empty the satchels of the big boys and the tv demand will be higher than ever when it returns.

I'm not so sure on that.  For many of us football is a habit, its what we do, unthinkingly sometimes.  I've lost count of the Super Sunday games I've put on without even considering if I'm interested enough to watch it.  This break of maybe 9 months to a year gives us all time a chance to find other things to occupy the weekend, out of necessity, and also to realise footy may not be the most important thing in the world.  Added to that a huge percentage of Sky Sports subscribers, me included, have cancelled for now, its the law of averages that many of those were wavering and this was the push needed.  Loads won't come back, and if that reduces the obscene money they pump into the Premier that can only be a good thing.  

14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not so sure on that.  For many of us football is a habit, its what we do, unthinkingly sometimes.  I've lost count of the Super Sunday games I've put on without even considering if I'm interested enough to watch it.  This break of maybe 9 months to a year gives us all time a chance to find other things to occupy the weekend, out of necessity, and also to realise footy may not be the most important thing in the world.  Added to that a huge percentage of Sky Sports subscribers, me included, have cancelled for now, its the law of averages that many of those were wavering and this was the push needed.  Loads won't come back, and if that reduces the obscene money they pump into the Premier that can only be a good thing.  

I think they will try and protect against the possible outcomes as you highlight them by getting games back on tv ASAP. If football came back on tomorrow 3/4 games back to back I would probably sit there and watch the lot. Before this I watched the odd premier league game if I was in the pub or it was a game I really fancied other than that watched very little. 
but by bringing it back before other sports the they create that demand again get people on the hook for subscription of a year and the cycle repeats. 

Surely from a legal defence viewpoint the best defence for the league would be to null and void the season, act of God or whatever!

Any other option will leave them open to challenge on their decision from one disgruntled party or another!

The other thing pissing me off is football is a spectator sport, no games should be held behind closed doors in my opinion and that cam only be when it is safe to do so clearly.