Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Super John's Favourite goals

dusan nikolic

For his birthday Super John is asked to pick his 5 favourite goals scored for us (he picks 6) .  Does everyone agree or do you have your own favourites.  Personally the Preston promotion goal and the winner against Hull are 2 of my favourites , or I could easily fill the list with all his goals v Wolves.

Edited by dusan nikolic

Fantastic set of goals from a genuine BWFC great, the hang time on that header at Liverpool was unbelievable Mcginlay defied gravity, also on the 3rd goal seeing the manny road in raptures with Jesus (P.R.) arms aloft is a joy to watch and remember those great Burnden memories. 

For the Wolves goal at Burnden did anyone notice the family sat on the front row straight after SJM scored? Everyone else was jumping up going mad. This lot were sat down with sour faces! Must've been Old Gold Cunts!!!

1 hour ago, jeep said:

For the Wolves goal at Burnden did anyone notice the family sat on the front row straight after SJM scored? Everyone else was jumping up going mad. This lot were sat down with sour faces! Must've been Old Gold Cunts!!!

Ha ha brilliant just looked at that, defo wolves fans. 😂

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jeep said:

good spot

I've seen that footage loads, and never noticed that

but whilst we're on about random things you might notice on match footage

when we beat Leicester 5-0 on the opening day

Frandsen's 1st goal to make it 4-0, there is one bloke in the crowd who cheers before anyone else does, as though he saw it go in first

Can’t disagree with his choices really. That goal at Anfield, along with Walker’s are two of the best goals I’ve ever seen BWFC score. The cross, the finish, the occasion, for both of them was summat else

But, but, but........come on, forget Anfield, forget the last game at Burnden, THAT Wolves game and THAT goal is forever how I’ll remember SJM. His battles with the dogheads is ingrained in our culture

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Can’t disagree with his choices really. That goal at Anfield, along with Walker’s are two of the best goals I’ve ever seen BWFC score. The cross, the finish, the occasion, for both of them was summat else

But, but, but........come on, forget Anfield, forget the last game at Burnden, THAT Wolves game and THAT goal is forever how I’ll remember SJM. His battles with the dogheads is ingrained in our culture

The thing is that Wolves fans hate sjm with a passion. Their most hated opposition player 👍

I'd argue that his most important goal for us was his penalty against Preston the last day of 92/3. That had been a deeply frustrating day up to that point and he had nerves of steel to beat Simon Farnworth with the pen. 

A shout out also for the game at Turf Moor in 94/5. An absolute typical McGinlay goal to give us the lead deflecting in a cross from the left. Then taking the throw-in while their player was still in a heap. Just like any fan would have done in those circumstances ..... fuck Burnley, we only needed nine men.

Thing I love about SJM is I didn’t rate him at first

Grew up with John Byrom as the hero, then Frank appeared and then for years it was shit

Next up it was the away coaches with the blue Scotland saltaire flag in the back window with Walker and McGinlay on it. Andy Walker was the next god and fuck me was he good. SJM was a bit part player for me. Then Walker got that injury and we were fucked. Well and truly fucked. But up he stepped. Can’t credit him enough for what he did 

That game at Anfield Andy Walker was still the main man and in terms of forwards ive seen for BWFC I’d put out him behind Frank and just ahead of Byrom. But in terms of who did what for BWFC SJM isn’t that far behind Nat imo

The first season (1992/93) , It was hard to take to any one other than Andy Walker at the beginning because the start to the season had been so poor , and if I remember Rioch was under a lot of pressure because results had been so indifferent. 

Then all of a sudden we just clicked , both Walker and McGinlay played 31 league games each, with Walkers scoring 26 league goals to McGinleys 16 , so you can say both players missed a third of the season for various reasons, but with the addition of David Lee we became pretty much unbeatable.

The one regret for me is we didn't see them together properly in the division above  , I've always wondered how we would have fared with both of them fighting fit .

But on the other hand , if Walker hadn't have got the bad injury , he would have no doubt rattled in a few more ( he got 33 as it was ) , would we have been able to keep hold of him ,  I'm convinced personally that some Premier league club would have taken a chance on him.

Edited by dusan nikolic

11 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

The first season (1992/93) , It was hard to take to any one other than Andy Walker at the beginning because the start to the season had been so poor , and if I remember Rioch was under a lot of pressure because results had been so indifferent. 

Then all of a sudden we just clicked , both Walker and Mcginley played 31 league games each, with Walkers scoring 26 league goals to Mcginleys 16 , so you can say both players missed a third of the season for various reasons, but with the addition of David Lee we became pretty much unbeatable.

The one regret for me is we didn't see them together properly in the division above  , I've always wondered how we would have fared with both of them fighting fit .

But on the other hand , if Walker hadn't have got the bad injury , he would have no doubt rattled in a few more ( he got 33 as it was ) , would we have been able to keep hold of him ,  I'm convinced personally that some Premier league club would have taken a chance on him.

Yes it clicked from Chester away didn’t it 

prior to that we had a rough time think it was 8/9 without a win 

walker was my favourite out of the two just a shame regarding injuries

goals per appearances he must be top of the pile 

• Site Supporter

When they were at their best, they were fantastic.

I remember them scoring a goal each at Swansea in a 2.1 win.

Their finishing was so clinical and they knew each other’s game.

Such a shame that we didn’t get 4/5 seasons of them together.

On 11/04/2020 at 10:08, radcliffewhite1 said:

Yes it clicked from Chester away didn’t it 

prior to that we had a rough time think it was 8/9 without a win 

walker was my favourite out of the two just a shame regarding injuries

goals per appearances he must be top of the pile 

Total goals in all competitions

Andy Walker (1992-94)

App 78  sub 9  goals 55 

The nearest I could find was 

Albert Shepherd (1904-09)

App 123  goals 90

Harold Blackmore (1926-32)

App 165 Goals 122

Michael Ricketts (2000-03)

App 68 Sub 44  Goals 46

Joe Smith (1908-27)

App 492 Goals 277

Jack Milsom (1929-38)

App 255 Goals 153

Franny Lee (1960-68) app 210 Goals 106

Last but certainly not least

Nat Lofthouse (1945-61) 

App 503 Goals 285.

Edited: to add the Man who this thread is about.

John McGinlay (1992-97)

App 230 Sub 15  Goals 118

Edited by dusan nikolic

22 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Total goals in all competitions

Andy Walker (1992-94)

App 78  sub 9  goals 55 

The nearest I could find was 

Albert Shepherd (1904-09)

App 123  goals 90

Harold Blackmore (1926-32)

App 165 Goals 122