Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nicolas Anelka's 23 Wanderers goals.

dusan nikolic

Just now, Underpants said:

Was at Walsall for his first goal. I still can't believe we had him playing for us. Still in his prime too. Biggest name we've ever had playing for us FACT!

The night of Panorama and Fat Sam

• Members
54 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Was at Walsall for his first goal. I still can't believe we had him playing for us. Still in his prime too. Biggest name we've ever had playing for us FACT!

I’d say there was an argument for Jay Jay, Youri & Hierro. 

18 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Controversial.

In every practical sense we signed a world class player for peanuts. Obviously Heiro, Okocha, Djorkaeff and Madine will be thrown back at me. But for me none were still in their prime, and a bigger name than NA when signed. I remember thinking to myself on the day we signed him how lucky we were to have him. Never thought that, until later maybe, about anyone else we signed. 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, Underpants said:

In every practical sense we signed a world class player for peanuts. Obviously Heiro, Okocha, Djorkaeff and Madine will be thrown back at me. But for me none were still in their prime, and a bigger name than NA when signed. I remember thinking to myself on the day we signed him how lucky we were to have him. Never thought that, until later maybe, about anyone else we signed. 

Okocha was 28 when we signed him, def in his prime, and a snip at £0, given PSG had signed him previously for £10M

he wasn't as well known as Anelka though, that's for sure and I agree he was our biggest signing in terms of making a statement of who we were at that time

and we only got him because we missed out on Andy Johnson

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

Okocha was 28 when we signed him, def in his prime, and a snip at £0, given PSG had signed him previously for £10M

he wasn't as well known as Anelka though, that's for sure and I agree he was our biggest signing in terms of making a statement of who we were at that time

and we only got him because we missed out on Andy Johnson

Wasnt Johnson more money as well ?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Underpants said:

And we nearly doubled our money for him. Another mitigating circumstance in my argument.

I know what you mean, even though that's not what mitigating circumstances mean (if anything, it'd be the opposite)

anyway, my point was JJ was in his prime when we signed him for £8M less

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

I know what you mean, even though that's not what mitigating circumstances mean (if anything, it'd be the opposite)

Yes he was. And when he got going he was another that I thought we were lucky to watch week in week out. Im just thinking that after you have thrown everything in to the mix then NA just about comes out on top. We were very spoilt back in the day.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

plus we didnt rescue okocha from arse end of turkey.

thinking about it, how the hell did sam talk him in to signing!? 

i would love to know what other offers each of them had.

I’d say it’s Djorkaeff, given that he was the first of our galacticos and won a World Cup. 
It’s criminal that Anelka wasn’t in the France 98 squad though. He’d had a great first season at Arsenal.
Instead they had non-scoring strikers in Dugarry and that donkey Guivarch.