Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nicolas Anelka's 23 Wanderers goals.

dusan nikolic

5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Anelka was once one of the most talented young prospects in world football. Before he played for us, he signed for Arsenal, Real Madrid, Paris St. Germain and Liverpool. He's the biggest name to ever sign for us by a distance in my opinion.

Youri would give him a run for his money. Hierro also up there.

• Members
2 hours ago, deane koontz said:

I can't remember fuck all from the season and half he played for us for some reason apart from the Arsenal game.

What European games did he play for us?

He played a few usually from the bench. 
It might have been Zenit or Rabotnicki 0-0 but battering them Diouf and Anelka both came on changed the game and almost won it between them both.

51 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Anelka's close control was a behold to watch, the ball was like glue to his feet, behaved brilliantly with us and has shown us a lot of respect since he left, he may have not been here for long to be classed as a legend, but most certainly left his mark and scored some tremendous goals.

I wouldnt mind seeing the stats when he played for us.

League   app 53   gls 21

Fac    app 2  sub 1  gls 0

LC   app 1   gls 1

UEFA  app 2  sub 2  gls 1

Edited by dusan nikolic

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Yes, but it could be argued that both Youri's & Fernando's careers were effectively over.

Most certainly they were not in their prime playing days at Bolton, but I’d read it more as the biggest names ever to sign for us. 

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Couldn’t get the video to play, but the goal at home to Arsenal - that swerved in the air - sat right in line with that in the east lower - truly magnificent.

I couldn't.. Just put Anelkas name in Facebook & scrolled down

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Anelka's close control was a behold to watch, the ball was like glue to his feet, behaved brilliantly with us and has shown us a lot of respect since he left, he may have not been here for long to be classed as a legend, but most certainly left his mark and scored some tremendous goals.

I wouldnt mind seeing the stats when he played for us.

I always thought this was a great assist

On 15/04/2020 at 16:20, ZicoKelly said:

Okocha was 28 when we signed him, def in his prime, and a snip at £0, given PSG had signed him previously for £10M

he wasn't as well known as Anelka though, that's for sure and I agree he was our biggest signing in terms of making a statement of who we were at that time

and we only got him because we missed out on Andy Johnson

That's a Nigerian 28...

Anelka has always been very complimentary about his time at Bolton.

I also remember reading an article is 4-4-2 magazine a few years ago where fans wrote in and asked him questions, one was asking about how he found it playing with world class players and then being stuck with Kevin Davies. Anelka replied that he loved playing with SKD and that he was one of his favourite strike partners and very underrated.

I was concerned that he was just going to be a mercenary when we signed him and show the attitude issues we’d heard about but he always worked hard, caused no problems and produced some absolute quality for us. Great player? I doubt we’ll have someone as good as him again for a long, long time.