Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Forgotten Wanderers

L/H White

Vincent Candela, completely forgot he played for us until another thread got my searching 

210 games for Roma and played in 3 games for france across their world cup / euros double

he was some man allardyce 

anymore?

edit, also in the roma hall of fame

Edited by L/H White

I had big Hope's for Salva Ballesta when he came after scoring loads but never seemed to fit, Borgetti too to a lesser extent but he got a few.

I tell you who I thought was gonna be brilliant at our level at the time, solid Italian U-21 with loads of games in Serie A under his belt...

Francesco Pisano. He went from Serie A regular, to us, to Serie C. Weird.

20 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Vincent Candela, completely forgot he played for us until another thread got my searching 

210 games for Roma and played in 3 games for france across their world cup / euros double

he was some man allardyce 

anymore?

edit, also in the roma hall of fame

I think he was my least favourite of the Wanderers Galacticos

So many polarised opinions on Candela. I thought he was superb. Others thought he was dreadful. Seem to recall he gave us a right slagging off when he left for some reason. 

A great candidate for this is César Martin; Spanish international centre half. We seemed to be linked with him in every transfer window for about two years.

Finally got him in Allardyce’s last January window (along with Oscar Perez). Made one sub appearance and that was that. 
Might’ve been one of those alleged dodgy signings come to think of it. 

7 hours ago, jmjhb said:

I thought Candela was very complimentary about us, but he joined an Italian team because they were in the Champions League

Think he slagged British football rather than us in particular. He was used to a keeper rolling him the ball and having time, now he had strikers with the nerve to try and tackle him.

I’m guessing Gegenpress wasn’t big in late 90s Italian football.

9 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

A great candidate for this is César Martin; Spanish international centre half. We seemed to be linked with him in every transfer window for about two years.

Finally got him in Allardyce’s last January window (along with Oscar Perez). Made one sub appearance and that was that. 
Might’ve been one of those alleged dodgy signings come to think of it. 

That was Júlio César, wasn’t it? He was Brazilian rather than Spanish, although he fleetingly played alongside Campo for Real Madrid when they won the Champions League. He was indeed one of the investigated signings as Allardyce Jnr was his agent. 

53 minutes ago, Good Knee said:

I often forget Peter Shiltons cameo role.

50 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

In that Rioch era we had a few that just featured for a handful of games. McDonald, Dreyer, Small and Parkinson.

Knowing that Shilton and Dreyer were the two other substitutes alongside De Freitas for the Reading play off final is my pub quiz party trick. 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Graham Rowe and Henry Mowbray.  Part of the Blackpool triumvirate which blessed us with Nicko.

Mowbray must have been the dirtiest player ever for Bolton, he was fuckin nuts.

I'm sure he got sent off one friday night at an away game (Tranmere???) for nutting the winger, who had the cheek to get past him a couple of times.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Forgotten Wanderers?

Nearly every player since 2011, they all want forgetting about, except the talent that was LEWIS BUXTON.

Now he was shite...

Him and that Danny Butterfield must be two of the worst full backs ever - even including this season's shite.

Mike Ring, he looked like a footballer but fucking hell he was gash. I will bet no one remembers hm.  

googled him and he scored hatrick for Aldershot. I’m hoping he wasn’t in that team that relegated us to div 4. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper