Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

1923 cup final

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

@Steejay was there with his pit boots on giving it rice to the hammers fans

Aye, pickin t'tar off t'cobbles on t'Mall.

It were a reet gradeley day out, wi t'clogs on.

A only spent two farthings all weekend. :hi:

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

You don't spend much more than that these days you tight cunt 😀

What the fuck do you know, you never go to any games anyway.

You'd better start making an effort before you get put into a nursing home, you fuckin coffin dodger. 👨‍🦳

On 28/04/2020 at 13:56, Mounts Kipper said:

Look forward to you loading them on here, I guess we will need to find out who the Famous 5 were to find out if they got there or not. 

Here you go - these are the 2 pictures I mentioned taken at the 1958 Cup Final Banquet 

The Great and Good of Bolton in attendance - its at the Cafe Royal in London ( not the Russell Hotel as previously advised ) 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

7 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Here you go - these are the 2 pictures I mentioned taken at the 1958 Cup Final Banquet 

The Great and Good of Bolton in attendance - its at the Cafe Royal in London ( not the Russell Hotel as previously advised ) 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Fantastic images. 👍

Part way through the lads of 23 unearthing all sorts of info as I read I’m googling various details about the players and people involved, Henry (Harry) Nuttall who was born on Burnden park 1897  he played in all 3 cup finals in the 20s after he finished playing in 1935 he returned to BWFC where he became second team trainer until he retired in 1964 so he would have also been present for The 53 and 58 cup finals, he’s a true BWFC legend and that’s some BWFC history in the Nuttall family perhaps some of our older fans might remember him, his dad was groundsman and trainer at BWFC prior to the First World War he was at Man U his championship medal was sold for £8500 in 2019. 

https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2019/manchester-united-winners-medal-for-their-first-ever-league-title-sells-at-glasgow-auction/

Edited by Mounts Kipper

On 28/04/2020 at 23:22, jayjayoghani said:

There's a Makants Farm at top of Eagley Way. Mate of mine used to live there.

I’ve now found out Makant was owner of bleaching and dying business and was one of Bolton’s biggest employers, through his 20 years chairmanship Bolton were often head over heels in debt however his support and love for the club pulled the club through (sounds like he was a modern day Eddie Davies, without Makant we wouldn’t have won 3 cups in the 20s) it seems no coincidence 5 years after his death the whole 1929 cup wining squad was put up for sale and the star of the show David Jack left for a world record fee, the novel negotiating tactics of Arsenals manager I’ll post later, so not to bore folk. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper

23 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Part way through the lads of 23 unearthing all sorts of info as I read I’m googling various details about the players and people involved, Henry (Harry) Nuttall who was born on Burnden park 1897  he played in all 3 cup finals in the 20s after he finished playing in 1935 he returned to BWFC where he became second team trainer until he retired in 1964 so he would have also been present for The 53 and 58 cup finals, he’s a true BWFC legend and that’s some BWFC history in the Nuttall family perhaps some of our older fans might remember him, his dad was groundsman and trainer at BWFC prior to the First World War he was at Man U his championship medal was sold for £8500 in 2019. 

https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/news/2019/manchester-united-winners-medal-for-their-first-ever-league-title-sells-at-glasgow-auction/

Superb Mounts

19 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’ve now found out Makant was owner of bleaching and dying business and was one of Bolton’s biggest employers, through his 20 years chairmanship Bolton were often head over heels in debt however his support and love for the club pulled the club through (sounds like he was a modern day Eddie Davies, without Makant we wouldn’t have won 3 cups in the 20s) it seems no coincidence 5 years after his death the whole 1929 cup wining squad was put up for sale and the star of the show David Jack left for a world record fee, the novel negotiating tactics of Arsenals manager I’ll post later, so not to bore folk. 😂

Ha ha yeah the negotiation of David Jacks transfer is quite amusing

I asked a similar question about Harry Nuttall in 2015 and one of our posters (CSBWFC) replied with some info about Harry. 

Harry (Henry) Nuttall was born in the house that was at the Embankment End of the Manchester Rd side of Burnden Park.

He is in old editions of the Guiness Book of records as the "most local footballer ever"

His father Jack Nuttall lived on Blackshaw lane and was the original "travelling" groundsman / trainer for Christ Church. When Bolton Wanderers moved to Burnden Park, he went there and lived in the house that Harry was born in.Harry's mother was also connected as she washed and ironed the kits.

Harry won 3 FA Cup's and got 3 England caps in the home internationals in the twilight of his career playing in the same England team as Dixie Dean.

He maintained his connection to the club for many years but sadly he died a poor man following a fall at home. His prized medals were sold as footballers then didn't make much money.

Just reading about the 4th round tie away at Charlton and found some footage. In this clip you can see that part of the fencing collapsed, apparently 19 fans taken to hospital including a Bolton youth called John Davies who was a member of the YMCA unfortunately the clip doesn’t show the goal, perhaps it was because a film photographer also got injured and broke his ankle. 😂

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/fight-for-the-cup-charlton-v-bolton-wanderers/query/Charlton+v+Bolton

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Here’s one for the AthyWhite and the lads who watch Colls, It’s possible you know this but Billy Butler Atherton born started his career at Colls and was spotted playing in the Bolton Combination by George Eccles, he moved to Burnden Park in 1920 and spent 12 years there picking up 3 FA cup medals and am England cap, surely Colls best ever player? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Butler_(footballer)

54 minutes ago, freds dad said:

Love the footage at the end showing the team back at Burnden and then Joe Smith on his own stood on the manchester road side of the pitch, train passing in the background and what looks like the house on the embankment that the Nuttall family lived in with the magees ale advert on the side, the Manchester Road stand hadn’t changed when we left in 1997.