Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Best Championship or Division Two side of all time

Farrelli

BBC Sport have selected ten of the best sides ever from championship or division two and I was certain our 96/97 team would be included, but we didn't make the cut.

Most choices I can live with but the Chelsea team of 83/84 was not that good and that Forest team lost 11 games. IMO they only became great when Clough signed Shilton, Gemmill, Francis in the following seasons.

Liverpool 61/62

Leeds 63/64

Forest 76/77

Chelsea 83/84

Newcastle 92/93

Sunderland 98/99

Fulham 00/01

Reading 05/06

Leicester 13/14

Wolves 17/18

Edited by Farrelli

Just now, jmjhb said:

Seems to be based on how well the club did the following season

Yes which is a different thing altogether.  It also favours the well known managers, Shankly, Revie, Clough, Keegan.

I think the Todd team had a good shout to be in there especially for the amount of goals we scored.

In fact I had a look at the teams' results in the following season:

43 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

BBC Sport have selected ten of the best sides ever from championship or division two and I was certain our 96/97 team would be included, but we didn't make the cut.

Most choices I can live with but the Chelsea team of 83/84 was not that good and that Forest team lost 11 games. IMO they only became great when Clough signed Shilton, Gemmill, Francis in the following seasons.

Liverpool 61/62 - 8th

Leeds 63/64 - 2nd

Forest 76/77 - 1st

Chelsea 83/84 - 6th

Newcastle 92/93 - 3rd

Sunderland 98/99 - 7th

Fulham 00/01 - 13th

Reading 05/06 - 8th

Leicester 13/14 - 14th

Wolves 17/18 - 7th

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

Yes I remember they came from nowhere and we had to beat them at home in about March but only drew 1-1.  John Robertson was on top form for them.

Theres a documentary about Clough and Forest and the journey to the European Cup. Wouldn't say it's the best storytelling but lots of interviews and footage from that era make it great viewing. Really good soundtrack too. 

I Believe in Miracles it's called

1 minute ago, jayjayoghani said:

Theres a documentary about Clough and Forest and the journey to the European Cup. Wouldn't say it's the best storytelling but lots of interviews and footage from that era make it great viewing. Really good soundtrack too. 

I Believe in Miracles it's called

I’ll have a look for that. Unbelievable what Clough did there with a few quite ordinary players (like McGovern), a few experienced heads and some special ones. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, marple whites said:

Didn’t we give the ball away from kick off and they scored ? Very good side

Dunno, but i seem to recall they had the entire lower tier, yet never brought anything like that in the PL, 1k a time at best

Same with Charlton, fuck all away fans in the PL but brought loads for that FA Cup tie when we were both championship

West Ham 1980/81 was the one that came to mind when i saw the title.

Won the FA Cup as a second division club in 1980 then in 80/81 won the second division by 13 points, took Liverpool to a League Cup final replay and reached the cup winners cup quarter final. And of course did it playing the West Ham way.They weren't that impressive against Bolton though