Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Popular Ends At BP.


Recommended Posts

I think it varied year on year, as a youngster it was the Embankment, then moved to the Burnden Paddock, Lever End became a vocal area in the early 70s, it was the Manny Rd paddock for me on the way to Div one, then Burnden Paddock again, another stint in the Lever, and finally back to the Manny Rd Paddock. No wonder i miss that ground.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I started in the Lever End in 1968/69, progressed to the Embankment around 1973 for about 8 years, Burnden Terrace for a few years, back to the Lever End when the seats were put in because I had a young daughter by then, when she was about 12 we moved to the Manny Road North until we left there, some bloody happy and memorable times

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

I started in the Lever End in 1968/69, progressed to the Embankment around 1973 for about 8 years, Burnden Terrace for a few years, back to the Lever End when the seats were put in because I had a young daughter by then, when she was about 12 we moved to the Manny Road North until we left there, some bloody happy and memorable times

I remember an old bloke who lived on the same street as me, always stood on the Embankment since the 40s with his pals on the same spot, when they made it away fans only in the late 70s, he called it a day and never went again, miserable cunt.😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

I didn’t often stand up other than a few cup ties. Watched most my early years in the  Manny Road stand towards the wing stand. Once I started going on my own, moved into the Burnden Stand.

Went on the embankment and Lever End no more than 2 or 3 times each

Link to post
Share on other sites

Manny road south stand for years with my dad, the odd game in the Burnden stand, then Burnden terrace with my mates when my dad stopped going for a while.

did manny road north terrace against port vale as I was travelling from Sheffield and I get there after half time and that was the only place with a turnstile open - I did see us equalise tho

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started on the Embankment with my dad as a 5 year old in 1965, then moved onto the Lever end with my mates at 14 years old, switched to the Burnden terrace at 18 years old for a good few years, then ended up in the Manny Rd North terrace (and seats for the prem season in 1995) till our final game in 1997. I loved Burnden, but we needed to move on and i love the Unibol now.

Edited by Burndens Bogs
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Started on the Embankment with my dad as a 5 year old in 1965, then moved onto the Lever end with my mates at 14 years old, switched to the Burnden terrace at 18 years old for a good few years, then ended up in the Manny Rd North terrace (and seats for the prem season in 1995) till our final game in 1997. I loved Burnden, but we needed to move on and i love the Unibol now.

Ha ha, it was getting a bit tatty the old girl in it's later years, to see the demise from the time I first stepped on with huge crowds on seeing some great games and then to a trickle, it was fitting we left it winning the league and a full house.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Started on the Embankment with my dad as a 5 year old in 1965, then moved onto the Lever end with my mates at 14 years old, switched to the Burnden terrace at 18 years old for a good few years, then ended up in the Manny Rd North terrace (and seats for the prem season in 1995) till our final game in 1997. I loved Burnden, but we needed to move on and i love the Unibol now.

Fucking hell J. That's almost word for word my BP history!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Started on the Embankment with my dad as a 5 year old in 1965, then moved onto the Lever end with my mates at 14 years old, switched to the Burnden terrace at 18 years old for a good few years, then ended up in the Manny Rd North terrace (and seats for the prem season in 1995) till our final game in 1997. I loved Burnden, but we needed to move on and i love the Unibol now.

A little piece of Burnden died when lever end seats were put in and a bigger piece died when the embankment was built on, was a real shame that it was exactly where folk had died in 46, just so pleased I just about managed to see the old lady in her splendour from 1973/4. Shame they couldn’t re-build on Burnden, have to say the Reebok for a club our size is a great stadium, let’s hope we can hold onto it and not repeat the mistakes we did at Burnden. (Selling it off to stay alive) 

Edited by Mounts Kipper
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

Only had 5 full seasons at BP

Burnden Terrace was number one choice, but had mates in Lever End and Manny Road North

Don't think I ever went on the wing stand/terrace

Never been on the embankment

Only recall going in the Burnden Stand once

Edited by ZicoKelly
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Fucking hell J. That's almost word for word my BP history!

Ha, it just felt like a natural “progression” at the time moving from stand to stand depending on your age & who you were going to the match with at the time.

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

A little piece of Burnden died when lever end seats were put in and a bigger piece died when the embankment was built on, was a real shame that it was exactly where folk had died in 46, just so pleased I just about managed to see the old lady in her splendour from 1973/4. Shame they couldn’t re-build on Burnden, have to say the Reebok for a club our size is a great stadium, let’s hope we can hold onto it and not repeat the mistakes we did at Burnden. (Selling it off to stay alive) 

I remember thinking we had  gone “ big time” when the Lever end got seated- in truth it ruined the place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started with my dad and brother in the Manchester Road North Stand 73-75 then with friends changed between Lever End and the Embankment depending on the match. Around 78 moved into Burndan Terrace (paddock) for a few seasons. During late 80's until 1996 sat in Manchester Road South (front row) and fully enjoyed the banter with the lads in the terrace.

I do miss BP for many reasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Manny road stand, wing stand for one or two games inc Everton in the semi as my dad got tickets through a player

Burnden stand for first division onwards

Then paddock, that few months in the lever end, paddock again

Then Manny road stand, north

Did a couple of random cup/friendlies on the embankment

 

We have had 3 or 4 different seats at the Reebok

Crazy as I find it, I must be getting close to seeing more games at reebok than burnden

Link to post
Share on other sites

First ever game was on the Embankment. When I first started going regularly was with my Dad in Manny Rd Terrace, then we moved up to the seats. Started going with mates and worked our way round from the Paddock starting off near the Lever End and finishing up in the top corner towards the away fans.

Edited by DazBob
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.