Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

2020/21

Horwich

Curious to know what people would be happy with as a minimum expectation for the upcoming season and who will be our biggest rivals this season.

Owners and management team are both talking of instant success and I think many people will be disappointed if that doesn't happen. Social media isn't the most accurate gauge though, lots of people jokingly or seriously touting us for 100 points+. What do we think? 

Personally, if we finish outside of the playoffs, considering our recruitment, I think that would be disappointing but maybe people on here would be happy with a season to solidify and stabilise. The nature of the playoffs means anything can happen.

As for our biggest rivals, I've only really seen Salford mentioned as a serious promotion contended and there's always a dark horse candidate for the playoffs each season. If you look at our squad, Doyle, Sarcevic, Taft, Delfounso, Comley all look to be solid League 2 or above players, but others such as Santos, Hickman, Greenidge, Gordon, Crellin are a bit of a mystery. I've not kept up with other League 2 sides, so not sure who is looking strong this year.

I'm feeling optimistic we will get in the top 3, but if we got knocked out of the playoffs or finished just outside, would that be unacceptable in your opinion?

Fancy us to be Champoins Mantra

May throw a few quid on us but I can’t find any odds, don’t know why no-one has released them yet. I’ve been looking daily - it’s just prem and championship so far

Ali Crawford signing was huge, he is top class and will run the show

Add in Div 4 top goal scorer and Plymouth’s Player of the Year....these are proven players at this level

Just the Goalie is the worry for me

Evatt is going places...It feels like when Keegan had his first pre season with Newcastle after saving them from going down to Div 3. Played loads of shit teams, but hammered them 6-0 and took that form straight into League and got the bandwagon rolling. Really positive and hope I’m not wrong. Just a pity we can’t go away as I think we would take thousands

@Hutch 

The sounds the club and manager are making are all extremely positive and I think that ethic will feed down from the top and give us a positive season.

I have to keep reminding myself that it's not a guaranteed though, we have a totally new squad which is really exciting but also I don't know much about many of them. Forgot to mention Crawford in my previous post, I think him and Delfounso are 100% above League 2 level and could be massive for us, while Sarcevic and Doyle also represent exciting senior players.

Hope that those four can help pull up some of the more inexperienced players like Gordon, Darcy, Hickman...

Only danger I can see is our limited squad depth due to the embargo, but we've recruited smartly to cover each position and still a couple more incomings on the way.

Edited by Mantra

9 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

William Hill have given 25/1 on consecutive promotions this and next season 

Anyone got a link to this? I can’t find it anywhere and fancy a bit of it.

Ever the optimist but I do think we’re in a false position due to off the field issues and if we get promoted this season will be one of the favourites for L1 next season.

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ever the optimist but I do think we’re in a false position due to off the field issues and if we get promoted this season will be one of the favourites for L1 next season.

Someone sent them a message on twitter asking for the odds and that’s what they replied with 

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Always enjoy reading some preseason optimism, it's what fans do of course but that's the first "we're gonna get consecutive promotions" I've ever seen 😆