Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whoever it is, you’d think that we’ve already been in discussions and have a plan. It’s not like this has come out of nowhere after a big loss etc., they’ll have made this decision a while ago and with any luck they’ll already know who they want and what the chances of getting them are.

5 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Nolan - First team coach at West Ham, but out of contract at the end of the season. 42% win ratio across 99 games as a manager with two teams in League Two. Had both in and around the playoffs and both went down after he left, so he was probably working with some shite.

Ricketts - Decent spell at Wrexham and comes across well, but I'd not be getting too excited over his 23 wins from 78 at Shrewsbury. Career winning record as a manager is 35% off 102 games. Seems Bolton fans think he's a better manager than Shrewsbury fans do.

Holden - Three wins from 15 in a short spell at Oldham. Now assistant at Bristol City.

Even if none of them had ever played for us, I'm not sure what Holden or Ricketts have that would put them clear above Nolan. If anything, I think being seen as the sentimental option is being held against him. He's a good young coach. The fact that he's a club legend and would have the fans onside at a time we have little else is a bonus.

Of the established options Clough, Powell and Adkins are decent shouts. Don't think we need to be getting too cute by picking random coaches with no experience.

good stats there whats the big love in with Ricketts 

looking at that I would give Nolan a bash

I fear logic will kick in. Anyone half decent will want more than HillCroft were on. We don't have a pot to piss in, we have ditched the U23s so do you sack the U23 coaches or the first team coaches? The latter, ergo U23 coaches get promoted. David Lee plus his choice of assistant from within the coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

I fear logic will kick in. Anyone half decent will want more than HillCroft were on. We don't have a pot to piss in, we have ditched the U23s so do you sack the U23 coaches or the first team coaches? The latter, ergo U23 coaches get promoted. David Lee plus his choice of assistant from within the coaching staff.

Think you’re right plus with lee doing well with the kids he ticks that box plus being cheep and a ex player the owners may think it would be a good move 

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

What happened with him at Bradford he didn’t last long 

Think Bratford was a basket case anyway, but he did sign Chris Taylor and Clayton Donaldson for them which is very worrying.

14 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Think it seems obvious now we’re having a first team ‘coach’ and a Director of Football so that rules out half on the list

Mark Iles seemed to indicate that we're likely to be hiring a younger type manager, so probably rules out Clough, Adkins, etc, but I can't see us paying compo to another club for say a Ricketts, Wellens, Evatt younger type guy either.

3 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I really don't get this David Lee love in?? If we were looking at a an U23 manager from another team at our level we would all be apopletic!

So how's he even being considered?? Just coz a couple of kids have come through, it's crazy talk...

Spot on! Be different if he came in on a caretaker basis, but no way on this earth should he be considered for the main job.

For the life of me I don't see how that works.  If you're the manager how can you have all  your players imposed on you?  Whoever comes in now doesn't have a team, he has to sign one.  He needs to have the enthusiasm of using players he rates.  Its just asking for unnecessary tensions between players and manager, and manager and 'director of football'.

39 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

For the life of me I don't see how that works.  If you're the manager how can you have all  your players imposed on you?  Whoever comes in now doesn't have a team, he has to sign one.  He needs to have the enthusiasm of using players he rates.  Its just asking for unnecessary tensions between players and manager, and manager and 'director of football'.

Largely agree, but I think it's a lot more common in football now than we may realise.  Owners buy players and expect the coach to form them into a coherent unit, often giving them no say in potential purchases