Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

2 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Dunno, if i found out i might not be getting paid for my work, think it would affect my performance.

Some that are out of contract from today (no idea if there are any) might refuse to play given that the club probably cant keep them for next season anyway.

36 minutes ago, Revelredne1961 said:

Don't care what they do this season, next season they are fu**ed

Are they? 

If they stay up and embargoed but no points deducted next season but a couple of other clubs go tits up early into next season they could be safe.

Doesn't bear thinking about! 

Well Coventry and Rotherham arent going to be a massive hurdle for them to finish above, and it could be Wycombe or Fleetwood too.

If they stop up this season they'll probably stop up next season.  Suddenly I want to Huddersfield to win and I wanted them to go down a few hours ago.

• Members

A friend of a friend works for them, before lockdown he turned down a job at Preston. He said he handed in his notice and they pretty much said how much do you want to stay, that along with a big bonus and a company car was throw in. He snatched their hand off because it was relatively big money they said yes to.

Preston wasn’t offering more money it was just closer to home.

Wigan’s way of negotiation was straight in with money, that’s crazy

I felt sorry for the Bury fans even though they've had an axe to grind with us for years. I won't be feeling sorry for this shower of shit. They've been punching above their weight for years and now Whelan and his broken leg are history it's the slippery slope for the cunts. Bring it on. Sooner or later we will pass them on the way back up and there'll be a few reminders of the early 90s for them. 

4 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

I used to work for him when I was a kid in his hotel, and at Springfield park on match days, in the boardroom, serving pies to the directors from the opposition at half time. There's not a chance he'll buy it back unless he can make some big cash out of it.

I also delivered his papers when I was 13 for a couple of years, never gave me a tip at xmas, the twat.

His son is an absolute loon - he was known as Whizzy Whelan in Parbold, total fruitcake, would do anything for a pint, and I mean anything. 

My cousin used to do that very same paper round out of McColls in Parbold. I did it with him a few times when staying over, must have been about 1996. I went to Parbold Douglas back then. 

On Wigan, got to be a few more Championship clubs teetering on the edge, big wage bills, little TV income and No matchday income. Crazy they have carried on. If a few more go then I can see the points deductions getting canned off given the exceptional circumstances 

Just now, birch-chorley said:

My cousin used to do that very same paper round out of McColls in Parbold. I did it with him a few times when staying over, must have been about 1996. I went to Parbold Douglas back then. 

On Wigan, got to be a few more Championship clubs teetering on the edge, big wage bills, little TV income and No matchday income. Crazy they have carried on. If a few more go then I can see the points deductions getting canned off given the exceptional circumstances 

It was a twat of a round. All big newspapers on a Sunday, all the houses miles apart.  I went to our ladys, the Catholic school, left in 84. I've got younger brothers and a sister, lived in Newburgh. In 1996 I was working for Whelan at wrightington Country club. It was an official Euro 96 Hotel. Russian and French squad both stayed there for a while. I took some of the Russian squad round standish when they got knocked out, Dobrovolski was a laugh. The French squad smoked like troopers, not always tobacco.

I was working at one of Whelans factorys , years ago.

Seen him walk up to one of the fitters whose sole was flapping off the bottom of his boot.

Whelan pulled him and asked why he hadnt got new boots over the weekend.

" Sorry Boss , its the end of the month and me and our lass are a bit skint "

" Well you cant walk round like that " said Whelan.

Puts his hand in his pocket pulls out massive wedge with an elastic band round it.

Pulls the band off and hands it to the guy.

" that will sort it , till pay day lad.

No wonder he was minted

Malcolm W's post

i think thats coz the chinese and/or taiwanese IEC people only just sold it on in the past month (forget the newer owners name .. just looked and it were 'Next Leader Fund LP' from Hong Kong ) but they didnt come through with any money.. (ie, transfer funds, or per diem money or whatever)

i forget where i read this, it were only about an hour ago too..

Edited by e2e4
added quote