Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The official Wigan are shit thread

RUREADY2ROLL

The fact is anyone buying a football club at the moment must be crazy. 
But if you were that crazy would you jump in and buy Wigan today or wait to see who else becomes available as it seems inevitable other clubs will also go bust ? 

The way my work is at present and how bad it looks like getting, a season ticket is a luxury item that I probably can't afford, but would having that £350-ish make any discernible difference to my life? Probably not, the club probably need it more than I do. 

Edited by Traf

3 hours ago, Traf said:

The way my work is at present and how bad it looks like getting, a season ticket is a luxury item that I probably can't afford, but would having that £350-ish make any discernible difference to my life? Probably not, so Aunty Shaz is welcome to it. The club probably need it more than I do. 

Very good of you pal. More importantly I hope things pick up. FWIW I’ll not be asking for owt back either. Feel like it’s our time to shine. 

Equally if folk do want their money back I kind of get that as well. In any other transaction you’d be mental to not want it back. 

For me though and only my opinion this isn’t a transaction.

55 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If majority of our ST holders stick with it, we’re surely in better place than most clubs can’t be many in league 1 & 2 with over 8k ST holders. 

Be interested to see how the accounts stack up when they are published 

Last time we were in League 1 we lost a lot of money overall, assume the income would have been higher that season as well (League 1 solidarity, more ST’s, Matchday revenue etc) 

However costs are probably lower this year (playing budget likely a bit lower, no business rates) 

Cant be much in the profit and loss between the 2 seasons though 

40 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

I think Bradford - with there cheap season tickets are on about 7k

And by cheap, they are literally half of the price of ours so the bottom line is likely to be vastly different.

A big question though will be whether it is a help or a hindrance to have the hotel at the moment. 

Depends if it’s got any guests or not 

I stay at the Hilton Wembley a lot, similar hotel to The Whites given it relies on Business and Sports predominantly (all be it to different levels) 

I was chatting to an employee at Hilton Wembley and they have been getting around 10% occupancy vs the usual 90%. Should imagine that The Whites Hotel is seeing similar levels - not good when Furlough ends next month 

• Site Supporter

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And by cheap, they are literally half of the price of ours so the bottom line is likely to be vastly different.

Would Bolton’s season tickets at £175 for side stands and £150 for behind goals sell twice as many?

It is often a topic on here that selling cheap and getting folk in to spend on the concessions may be a money maker but obviously not this season.

44 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Would Bolton’s season tickets at £175 for side stands and £150 for behind goals sell twice as many?

It is often a topic on here that selling cheap and getting folk in to spend on the concessions may be a money maker but obviously not this season.

I think it would be close. It would be good to see but also a big gamble if it didn’t work.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Not sure selling them all at that price would be good as you don't know how many you would sell. Could do it on a sliding scale as in when they sell 9 thousand for example everyone gets a % back and all season tickets are then sold at that price, then when they hit another target you get more back. So the more you sell the cheaper they become. 

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

Absolutely no way whatsoever. Wasn't often we hit 16,000 in the Premier League so not chance we'd be hitting that in League Two, cheap or not.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Revelredne1961 said:

We hit 42000 in the old division two

42k crowds aren’t the same as 42k STs

1 hour ago, Andy Gee said:

Not sure selling them all at that price would be good as you don't know how many you would sell. Could do it on a sliding scale as in when they sell 9 thousand for example everyone gets a % back and all season tickets are then sold at that price, then when they hit another target you get more back. So the more you sell the cheaper they become. 

That’d be interesting.