Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is probably the first time since BSA left that I've not had that unrealistic desire in the back of my mind, wishing that we still had Allardyce managing us. Disclaimer: I'm not saying Evatt

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

Hugh, you are completely and utterly wrong. im actually embarrassed for u, I don’t care if u been supporting us since 1975, you are talking absolute Shyte!    I cannot believe that you fee

13 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I don't think he should change the style. It'll look like a massive climb down and he'll look ridiculous. Just need the players to be braver on the ball and move it more quickly. 

And to show a lot more intent

3 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Job saved?

Not for me.Evatt still does not know his first 11.He's trying to play a pass and move,quick press game with players (who he signed)that can not do it.Time to get rid before it's to late 

Evatt is here long term, 10 games in with a brand new squad, it would be a very harsh decision to sack him.

Yes some players haven't performed, mainly our so-called bigger players, hope Sarcevic gains confidence from that last minute equaliser, Doyle bagged as well, so hopefully that sets him off. Evatt needs a steady first 11.

Darcy needs to play more and Politic is turning out to be a big miss. Although Brockbank shouldn't be in a back three, he's a right back in a 4 at best.

I've said it before, he gets all this season and next, hopefully this is our bad patch. Plenty of games left in this shite league. 

14 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

Realistically I don't think Sharon and co are trigger happy so he's going nowhere. 

It's going to take time . Plenty of games left. Sacking managers after 5 games gets you nowhere 

i agree but that selection tonight? im seriously questioning his judgement over Crellin Comley and Baptiste.  Brockbank on left? Come on Ian get an out of contract keeper get your best X1 sorted and master the basics in defence & midfield. if you havent got the players to play the style you want - what then? you were a defender. peter atherton was a defender. WTF. first 5 mins tonight unacceptable and next 85 almost so.

2 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Why do people think FV have time? 

I think it's more that FV set up this whole Evatt/moneyball plan from the ground up so logically thinking they will continue to show faith in the process before making any hasty decisions. 

Saying that, "project bolton" didn't last too long with Hillcroft and Kawri but maybe that was just marketing/stop-gap rather than a footballing plan.

No one really knows how much money and time FV have and how long we can feasibly stay in L2/L1 with only Sharon/Michael James. So maybe they won't have time to let Evatt-ball develop but the impression I get from Sharon is that she will give this a chance because a lot of planning has gone into it and although the return at the moment isn't looking great, it was unlikely to happen overnight.

6 hours ago, Mantra said:

I think it's more that FV set up this whole Evatt/moneyball plan from the ground up so logically thinking they will continue to show faith in the process before making any hasty decisions. 

Saying that, "project bolton" didn't last too long with Hillcroft and Kawri but maybe that was just marketing/stop-gap rather than a footballing plan.

No one really knows how much money and time FV have and how long we can feasibly stay in L2/L1 with only Sharon/Michael James. So maybe they won't have time to let Evatt-ball develop but the impression I get from Sharon is that she will give this a chance because a lot of planning has gone into it and although the return at the moment isn't looking great, it was unlikely to happen overnight.

Yeah fair points and despite my negativity towards IE course I want him to succeed 

My concern is that FV have worked so hard to get the fans back onside and a mid table finish won’t get 8k season tickets back which in turn has a knock on another year paying high end wages Doyle etc

Edited by radcliffewhite1

I’m all for giving him as much time as it takes, We have no other choice really.

However, there are some strange selections going on. Baptiste is struggling so why play him when he had Taft on the bench or could have used Mascoll on the left. Likewise Tutte instead of Comley is a no brainier. Darcy has earned a run in the team so hopefully he will start the next few games.

If he is sticking with Crellin he should at least have Alexander on the bench. It is asking for trouble if we have an injury during the game. 

Doyle has only looked effective when we get decent balls in the box. We knew that when we signed him so he should not be coming deep to link up play.  Now that Kioso and Gnuhoua are playing we should get some decent crosses for him. 

Hopefully IE will find his best eleven soon and then we can start to improve. At the moment some of his selections are hindering progress.

Looking for any reason for optimism at the moment I found these post match comments on the Barrow fans forum interesting 

" I also think that Bolton are a good side, they are similar to us at the start of last season. I think when they click they will fly up that table. "

"Agree on Bolton. Just look at possession stats (I'm guessing it's been this way in most of their matches) They looked good on the ball but shakey and vulnerable at the back.

Think they will make the playoffs at least.

Very early days still."

Edited by Benny The Ball
On 21/10/2020 at 08:12, Farrelli said:

I’m all for giving him as much time as it takes, We have no other choice really.

However, there are some strange selections going on. Baptiste is struggling so why play him when he had Taft on the bench or could have used Mascoll on the left. Likewise Tutte instead of Comley is a no brainier. Darcy has earned a run in the team so hopefully he will start the next few games.

If he is sticking with Crellin he should at least have Alexander on the bench. It is asking for trouble if we have an injury during the game. 

Doyle has only looked effective when we get decent balls in the box. We knew that when we signed him so he should not be coming deep to link up play.  Now that Kioso and Gnuhoua are playing we should get some decent crosses for him. 

Hopefully IE will find his best eleven soon and then we can start to improve. At the moment some of his selections are hindering progress.

1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

Looking for any reason for optimism at the moment I found these post match comments on the Barrow fans forum interesting 

" I also think that Bolton are a good side, they are similar to us at the start of last season. I think when they click they will fly up that table. "

"Agree on Bolton. Just look at possession stats (I'm guessing it's been this way in most of their matches) They looked good on the ball but shakey and vulnerable at the back.

Think they will make the playoffs at least.

Very early days still."

Two good posts, which without ignoring the problems, offer some rational realism and positivity.

Another interesting question is are we willing to alter our expectations? I imagine opinion will be split. 

What is unquestionable is that nobody predicted as poor a start as this.

So were we the fans, Evatt, the players all wrong to expect promotion this season?

Easy with hindsight, but for me it probably was wrong. Other than being Bolton Wanderers, we didn’t have a base, foundation, philosophy or  collective experience to make a case for promotion.

The transitional changes we’ve had to make, (above and beyond injuries, Covid, etc), throwing a squad together of players who were free transfers/loans, with a new manager, coaching team, relatively new inexperienced owners with a plan to do things differently, surely means we have to alter our expectations.

I’m happy for the manager and players to come out and say they still believe they can do it. And I’m not completely writing this off, but it would take a drastic turn in form/results.

IMO we have to back the process, accept it might not be promotion this season. The board, the manager, the squad, the players are learning through this experience, as difficult as it might be to accept, as fans, lowering our expectations might be the only way to accept that this is a long term project that may take more than one season in the bottom tier.

As things stand I’d take top 10, keeping a distant sniff of the play-offs which could, if things take a decent turn after Christmas keep the dream alive...

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, desperado said:

Another interesting question is are we willing to alter our expectations? I imagine opinion will be split. 

yes

i expected to finish top

will now glady accept 7th or above

33 minutes ago, desperado said:

What is unquestionable is that nobody predicted as poor a start as this.

So were we the fans, Evatt, the players all wrong to expect promotion this season?

I was as over-confident as anyone for weeks before we started, bought into everything, convinced we were champions in waiting.

Then there were a couple of predictions just before the season, one from a contributor to LOV and another on the NTT20 podcast which had us struggling (NTT20 had us finishing about 10th) and laid the reality out about us being a new team, new manager, many players not tested at even L2 level.

Most importantly they compared us against other teams in L2 that are consistently finishing in play offs with relatively settled squads and asked why we should expect to be immediately better than them. It definitely brought a few truths home. Play offs now look like being a huge achievements for all concerned, to me.

Edited by Marc505