Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Zico said:

Aye, well we know Sarcevic can score and Isgrove chips in, but its Afolyan that needs to do more for me, if he's here next season 

Not surprised the first player we've been linked with is a goal scoring winger (Kiltie)

All about opinions of course, but Afolayan is over rated for me. Skillful no doubt, but so little end product, and doesn't defend well at all. Teams have sussed him, and John is getting overloaded at times. Needs to engage his brain more and become more of a team player, which hopefully he will develop with experience. 

Isgrove was dropped previously, and when he went to talk to Evatt he was told he needed to contribute more assists and goals. 

He scored two soon after, works harder defensively and seems more likely to create something alongside Jones. Yet was taken off first. 

Couldn't work it out yesterday- Dapo was way off but stayed on for too long, and they raided down their right to great effect.

However that seems to be IE's preference, and I don't expect him to change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is probably the first time since BSA left that I've not had that unrealistic desire in the back of my mind, wishing that we still had Allardyce managing us. Disclaimer: I'm not saying Evatt

What do visiting managers say to their players just before sending their players out? "These blokes think they are Barcelona with their swanky stadium and tippy tappy building form the back... ta

Starting to get on my tits now this fucking idiot. Weve heard it all before pal. The only issue with our performances is you trying make a gaggle of spastics play like barca-fucking-lona.

  • Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

All about opinions of course, but Afolayan is over rated for me. Skillful no doubt, but so little end product, and doesn't defend well at all. Teams have sussed him, and John is getting overloaded at times. Needs to engage his brain more and become more of a team player, which hopefully he will develop with experience. 

Isgrove was dropped previously, and when he went to talk to Evatt he was told he needed to contribute more assists and goals. 

He scored two soon after, works harder defensively and seems more likely to create something alongside Jones. Yet was taken off first. 

Couldn't work it out yesterday- Dapo was way off but stayed on for too long, and they raided down their right to great effect.

However that seems to be IE's preference, and I don't expect him to change.

Aye, flattered to deceive for me after a promising start, he's not shit, but for me provides the least attacking threat of our forwards

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another with the jury still out on Dapo. Looks unplayable at times but is still raw 

The lack of goals is down to bad luck. Think he has hit the posts a few times but would i sign him if we go up proberbly not

Politic is a much more finished player despite being three years younger

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Dapo & Gnahoua are very similar/interchangeable and neither are showing they're worth a start right now.

We've gone down the route of pass pass pass to tire teams out, hope not to be behind after 65mins and then nick it.

It's at that point that Dapo & Arthur should be introduced. Fresh legs to run at them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
55 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Neither winger offers enough for me. They have to chip in with goals but Gethin Jones and Declan John have scored twice as many goals as our wingers

David Lee was about a 1 in 8 goal scorer. As a winger, however, I’d say he wasn’t there for goals scored but goals created or assisted. 
 

I’m quite sure if we found a couple of forwards like Walker and McGinlay now, nobody would be bothered that our wide players don’t chip in with a few goals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

We need to remember that our wide men aren't played as wingers.

They are often quite narrow, particularly Afolayan, and it is the full backs that are often putting in the crosses.

IE has stated he wants more goals from them, but neither seem to get in towards the far post when balls come in. Quite often see them around the edge of the box, rather than gambling on a ball coming across.

Obviously, Sarc is there to join in too, but if he's not fully fit, then that threat is diminished.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Traf said:

I think Dapo & Gnahoua are very similar/interchangeable and neither are showing they're worth a start right now.

We've gone down the route of pass pass pass to tire teams out, hope not to be behind after 65mins and then nick it.

It's at that point that Dapo & Arthur should be introduced. Fresh legs to run at them.

There was a run of games at the start of our upturn in form where Arthur’s form resulted in us collecting a few points. If I was the manager this week I’d be getting his confidence up, on his day a match winner

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me one of the reasons we don’t score enough is we don’t pull the trigger often enough, often trying another pass that isn’t on. With that in mind I wouldn’t have dropped Jackson as he showed real intent to get shots away (and he scored!).

With Dapo I think his inexperience shows and he’ll be better next season. Often he comes inside when you’re screaming for him to go past on the outside and when he was in the box on Saturday and you wanted him to come inside on his right foot and get a shot away he did the opposite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walkden White said:

For me one of the reasons we don’t score enough is we don’t pull the trigger often enough, often trying another pass that isn’t on. With that in mind I wouldn’t have dropped Jackson as he showed real intent to get shots away (and he scored!).

Yes agree with this, added to the fact that if we knew how to use a set piece in the opposition half properly, we could well be 5 or 6 points better off than we are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yes agree with this, added to the fact that if we knew how to use a set piece in the opposition half properly, we could well be 5 or 6 points better off than we are.

Our crossing is bad enough from open play but set pieces are embarrassing. There’s one thing setting up the players to attack the ball, beat the defender etc., but there’s a bigger problem when we don’t have anyone that can cross a ball.

For as good as John is, it amazes me just how bad he is a crossing from a dead ball - both he and Isgrove have now just resorted to floating it in to make sure they get it off the ground, which is a cop out and makes it easier to defend against, but John can’t even get that right with around 3 out of 4 just floating into the keepers hands.

There will be teams in the league that have scored 5-10 times the amount of set piece goals we have this season, which puts us on the back foot always having to create something in open play!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

I think the set pieces are practiced in that way. We've been doing it all season and if Evatt wanted it differently, he'd have worked at it more. John takes free kicks when shooting at goal, and can get some pace behind it, but when they're crossed in, they're generally floaty wank jobs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Declan Johns a bit overated imo, i prefer the look of Jackson, he's more aggressive going forward & gives the opposition something to think about. Kioso offered similar qualities on our right side before he fucked off to the mighty Northampton Town,

Edited by Burndens Bogs
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Declan Johns a bit overated imo, i prefer the look of Jackson, he's more aggressive going forward & gives the opposition something to think about. Kioso offered similar qualities on our right side before he fucked off to the mighty Northampton Town,

I agree BB. He goes missing defensively constantly, and with only Dapo to cover, its not working!  To be honest John hasnt played well for a number of games, and i was surprised Jackson got overlooked on Saturday, as, for me he was MOM at Morecambe. Mr Evatt as alot to think about on Saturday. I would personally drop Dapo, and use him for the last 20 if needed. He looked tired and lethargic in the 2nd half on Saturday, and hid body language was terrible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think John's form has mirrored that of Afolayan. 

When they first came, Dapo was more of a threat and they were predominantly on the front foot.

Now teams are pushing them both back a bit and it's not as effective. 

I think one of the biggest disappointments on Saturday was how we did not exploit their weaknesses. Right back and right midfielder booked for fouls on Dapo. You would think get him the ball and run at them but we could not string passes together. 
 

Dapo is 23 so not a kid but not very experienced, there is a player there but lack of end product is frustrating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think one of the biggest disappointments on Saturday was how we did not exploit their weaknesses. Right back and right midfielder booked for fouls on Dapo. You would think get him the ball and run at them but we could not string passes together. 
 

Dapo is 23 so not a kid but not very experienced, there is a player there but lack of end product is frustrating. 

Can see why west ham let him go on loan. Needs to develop his football brain.

Or give him a ball of his own 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/05/2021 at 10:27, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can see why west ham let him go on loan. Needs to develop his football brain.

Or give him a ball of his own 😁

Never going to get a league game for West Ham in a million years! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
3 hours ago, kent_white said:

Never going to get a league game for West Ham in a million years! 

Think he's out of contract as well, and they'll be looking for players to bolster an EL campaign probably 

And he's not great in L2 

Probably end up back at Solihull

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dapo is definitely worth taking a punt on next season no matter which division we’re in. Can’t underestimate the value of the experience he’s gained over the last few months. He was superb in the first half against Morecambe and did well early on against Exeter. He just needs to do it consistently over the 90 minutes and over a few games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.