Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

'Brand' Evatt

Mr Grey

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Dapo is definitely worth taking a punt on next season no matter which division we’re in. Can’t underestimate the value of the experience he’s gained over the last few months. He was superb in the first half against Morecambe and did well early on against Exeter. He just needs to do it consistently over the 90 minutes and over a few games. 

If he doesn't cost a fee then I agree he might be worth a punt.

If we do go up he would need to contribute more though, I reckon IE will be aware of his limitations and will be looking at options for that position.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If he doesn't cost a fee then I agree he might be worth a punt.

If we do go up he would need to contribute more though, I reckon IE will be aware of his limitations and will be looking at options for that position.

Agreed - he's still got something to prove for me. But I'd be keeping him on if he's happy to come here in a free. 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We'd be much more sure of Dapo's value to the team if we were even vaguely threatening from the free kicks he wins IMO

Yep, whatever division we're in, we need to improve with our free kicks, been shite this season.

He has done his job, fair play,

Positives: kept his cool considering some of our dominant displays deserved more goals and points, football played the correct way, keeping a settled team the 2nd half the season and bringing in Lee and Williams in the January window.

Negatives: Playing Crellin to long, we could have been up with half a dozen games to go. Otherwise he has done a cracking job considering the turnaround of players we had at the beginning of the season. Set pieces are shocking, need to work on these for next season, let's hope IE recognises it. 

Neutral: The Maddison project didn't work, luckily it didn't have a bearing on us going up.

I wasn't convinced pre-season & thought he was a bullshitter.

Our start ...  & first 5 months tbh ... were shite.

His 3 centre-halves & wing backs plan never looked like working & he persisted too long trying to make it work.

The less said about Crellin the better. Ditto the mysterious Tobias Pheonix.

Gilks in, Flat back 4 & then, January brought Lee, John, Dapo, Williams, Elbou and Maddison. Even with Madd's issues, that was great work. we 

I was extremely critical of him but said, always, that I wanted it to work & would be the first to congratulate him if he turned it round.

He turned it round. I congratulate him. Genuinely.

What I will say about Evatt is that even when things were going to shit, he never lost belief in himself or the team. Massive credit to him for that. Would have been very easy for him to panic and rip everything up and start again. 

33 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I wasn't convinced pre-season & thought he was a bullshitter.

Our start ...  & first 5 months tbh ... were shite.

His 3 centre-halves & wing backs plan never looked like working & he persisted too long trying to make it work.

The less said about Crellin the better. Ditto the mysterious Tobias Pheonix.

Gilks in, Flat back 4 & then, January brought Lee, John, Dapo, Williams, Elbou and Maddison. Even with Madd's issues, that was great work. we 

I was extremely critical of him but said, always, that I wanted it to work & would be the first to congratulate him if he turned it round.

He turned it round. I congratulate him. Genuinely.

i think once january come, something happened where cheapo tobias phoenix methods were fucked off and it was realized big money and going all in on it was needed. 

salford probably still spent more , mind.. 

Beautiful man. Took some serious bollocks to stick to his guns at Christmas time. And some of the signings he pulled out in January were unreal. Got a few mates who are Barrow fans (largely thanks to @leigh white) and they all genuinely wish IE well, not least because they’ve got a chance of playing Morecambe again next season. 

10 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Beautiful man. Took some serious bollocks to stick to his guns at Christmas time.

To be honest he didn't. He moved from 3 centre-halves plus wing backs, to a flat back 4.

He ousted, finally, the shite keeper he was determined would come good. He began playing Sarcevic as a No.10, box-to-box, with attacking intent.

A flexibility he heartily resisted for far too long. But, in fairness, eventually, he did. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

To be honest he didn't. He moved from 3 centre-halves plus wing backs, to a flat back 4.

He ousted, finally, the shite keeper he was determined would come good. He began playing Sarcevic as a No.10, box-to-box, with attacking intent.

A flexibility he heartily resisted for far too long. But, in fairness, eventually, he did. 

I meant his assertion that it was going to come good more than anything else. But, you’re right, the change of fortune was a huge call. And brought the best out of Sarcevic and Jones in particular.