Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy

HomerJay

Suppose we'll just keep on producing less technically skilful players than South America and most of Europe for the foreseeable. 

Twats

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/22/fa-cuts-to-hit-grassroots-football-and-futsal-hard-leaked-documents-show

https://www.thefa.com/news/2020/sep/24/statement-futsal-240920?s=08

Meanwhile in Spain €8 million, just for Futsal 

Edited by peelyfeet

On 25/09/2020 at 16:46, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Grandson's got their second league game tonight at home to Solihull Moors under 19's. In London at my sons so will miss it

how did they get on?

Many of the younger Academy boys up and down the country are playing their first official fixtures this coming weekend - seems like an age - my lad hasn't played a proper match since end of Feb. 

On 28/09/2020 at 13:58, peelyfeet said:

how did they get on?

Many of the younger Academy boys up and down the country are playing their first official fixtures this coming weekend - seems like an age - my lad hasn't played a proper match since end of Feb. 

They won 2-1 after coming back from 0-1 down at half time. Got a bit nasty and one of the Solihull lads got a straight red. Played Newcastle Town last night away and I didnt go again; won 3-0 and grandson got two assists. They are now 3rd in the league after 3 games but the team that beat them 6-0 are romping it and won all three with a goal difference of 15

Burnley Academy closed for training and games  for a bit.

Bolton had to field some mixed aged teams at the weekend because we had so many kids isolating.

My lad played at Eddie Davies, we weren't allowed to stay in the academy, had to drop off and pick up.  A load of dads tried to watch through the bushes on the path down from Regent park Golf - almost impossible to see, and got lots of funny looks from walkers passing buy, 20 odd middle aged men crouching in shrubberies for 2 hrs, like peeing toms.

6 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

Burnley Academy closed for training and games  for a bit.

Bolton had to field some mixed aged teams at the weekend because we had so many kids isolating.

My lad played at Eddie Davies, we weren't allowed to stay in the academy, had to drop off and pick up.  A load of dads tried to watch through the bushes on the path down from Regent park Golf - almost impossible to see, and got lots of funny looks from walkers passing buy, 20 odd middle aged men crouching in shrubberies for 2 hrs, like peeing toms.

Reviewed on a weekly basis... Gutted for the lad

16 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

Reviewed on a weekly basis... Gutted for the lad

My mate says he thinks  it's because Burnley coaches are isolating, don't know if that's true. At bwfc they're cracking on as best they can, making teams up from multiple age groups if they need to.

5 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

My mate says he thinks  it's because Burnley coaches are isolating, don't know if that's true. At bwfc they're cracking on as best they can, making teams up from multiple age groups if they need to.

we were told just a number of positive tests. 12 members of staff on the sidelines at the weekend; u11 v u12s!

what age is your lad peely?

11 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

we were told just a number of positive tests. 12 members of staff on the sidelines at the weekend; u11 v u12s!

what age is your lad peely?

U13, he's big so plays up sometimes, he played v rochdale u14s/15s at the weekend,  some were close to 6ft.

My grandson is at Chester city on a scholarship and signed for bury afc on a twelfth month contract been watching a couple of his games over the last couple of weeks its been great to watch live football have a few beers and visit a few grounds I would never have seen met some great people 

13 hours ago, parrybones said:

My grandson is at Chester city on a scholarship and signed for bury afc on a twelfth month contract been watching a couple of his games over the last couple of weeks its been great to watch live football have a few beers and visit a few grounds I would never have seen met some great people 

Totally agree. The standard of football is very good and the pace of the game is faster than that dross we served up yesterday

2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Totally agree. The standard of football is very good and the pace of the game is faster than that dross we served up yesterday

I was surprised at the standard of football I’ve seen some great games and watched some really good players my grandson is playing for Chester in the FA youth cup today against St. Helens but it’s behind closed doors 

• Moderators

Bury have players like Scott Metcalfe who has been in the Northern Prem forever, he’s dropped 4 levels down the pyramid, from playing against lads possibly all on over £200 a week to lads who likely don’t get paid, or maybe a couple of bottles of WKD. No massive surprise if him and the rest look a class above. It’s like supporting Man U, if that’s your thing.

It wasn’t the bury players I was on about it was players from other teams after watching my grandson play through the academies at bury,Burnley, Man City and fylde this his his first season playing against older guys in a proper league so was a surprise the level of football that was being played and how good some of the players were

My eldests team won 5-3 yesterday. Lad scored a belter by all accounts.

Was the first time they played fixed positions, the coach has introduced this and will make players play a full game in each position as opposed to changing throughout the game. 

All seems to be coming together 👍

• Moderators
3 hours ago, parrybones said:

It wasn’t the bury players I was on about it was players from other teams after watching my grandson play through the academies at bury,Burnley, Man City and fylde this his his first season playing against older guys in a proper league so was a surprise the level of football that was being played and how good some of the players were

Well yes, a large amount of the lads will have been in academies at some point and be technically proficient. They haven't made it but can still play. You also get time to play in the Counties. It's when you step up a couple of leagues and it gets a bit more competitive where there's less actual football played. It's a funny one. Plus all the pitches will have gone to shit in a few weeks anyway.