Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy

HomerJay

12 hours ago, royal white said:

Just watching the Crystal palace documentary on 4. Many of the kids seem to be getting picked up from inner city areas,  its similar at the Manchester clubs, drive around Moss side, Cheetham hill, Broughton, etc and you see 4g pitches that are free for the kids to use. Last week my lads mate had the police called on him because he and 2 others sneaked onto a schools 4G for a kick about. There needs to be more free facilities for the kids in all areas. 

I live 5 mins away from the CP training ground, what they do for local kids across South London is excellent and really visable, really changed what they have done over the last 10 years. They work within places like Thornton Heath and as far out as Tooting to get them in.

Importankly, they work very closely with Bromley Council with their Palace for Life scheme which runs schools, disability teams and community engagement to help young people across South London, and even though the facilities are built within Bromley borough kids in Croydon and Lewisham can use them as well.

Its pretty impressive stuff; https://www.palaceforlife.org/whats-on/

• 4 weeks later...

My lads under 12s team play Fleetwood Gym this Saturday.

Theyve had to move the game from their ground in Fleetwood to a 'neutral' venue in Bispham on unity academy. (Where we train) 

Theyve had to bring the head of referees to ref the game and the league officials are going to be present to observe the behaviour of their players and parents.

This after our manager lodged complaints after their behaviour last time and other teams since have faced similar issues.

We've all had letters from the league and club warning us not to react to their behaviour and its being heavily monitored.

Im really glad I want there last time, but cant wait to be there for this one.

Anyone fancy a day out by the sea on sat? :D

🤣🤣 Kids footy is mad....and it wont get any better mate.

Parents are the worst, but some coaches are in a world of their own and they creat those monsters on the pitch.

Mums protecting their little angels too.

I do miss it, but we get enough drama at Charnock to keep our heart rate up.

Anyway, are mobbing up for the Fleetwood Gym firm on sat then ???

43 minutes ago, Pablo said:

🤣🤣 Kids footy is mad....and it wont get any better mate.

Parents are the worst, but some coaches are in a world of their own and they creat those monsters on the pitch.

Mums protecting their little angels too.

I do miss it, but we get enough drama at Charnock to keep our heart rate up.

Anyway, are mobbing up for the Fleetwood Gym firm on sat then ???

Got 70 coming on a moñg bus from Little Lever.

No colours.

K2K.

5 minutes ago, royal white said:

Has anyone been watching the Crystal Palace programme following the academy lads? 

Yep. It's great stuff.

One thing that really struck me, especially so with the young kids is how eloquent they are.

Blew my mind a bit. I'm sure when I was 10 you'd have barely got three badly mumbled words out of me.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

My lads under 12s team play Fleetwood Gym this Saturday.

Theyve had to move the game from their ground in Fleetwood to a 'neutral' venue in Bispham on unity academy. (Where we train) 

Theyve had to bring the head of referees to ref the game and the league officials are going to be present to observe the behaviour of their players and parents.

This after our manager lodged complaints after their behaviour last time and other teams since have faced similar issues.

We've all had letters from the league and club warning us not to react to their behaviour and its being heavily monitored.

Im really glad I want there last time, but cant wait to be there for this one.

Anyone fancy a day out by the sea on sat? :D

Westhoughton Rangers was rough as when we were kids.

Most games there'd be the proverbial man and dog watching us.

Play this lot there's be hordes of fat bastards screaming at you.

• Site Supporter

Alas, nothing changes.

Regarding the Fleetwood game, why on earth did the league pre-warn anyone of the attendance of league and referee’s officials?

All the Fleetwood dads will be politely applauding good play from both teams and the league will brush all future complaints under the carpet.

29 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Alas, nothing changes.

Regarding the Fleetwood game, why on earth did the league pre-warn anyone of the attendance of league and referee’s officials?

All the Fleetwood dads will be politely applauding good play from both teams and the league will brush all future complaints under the carpet.

Exaclty this. As well as moving it away from their ground. Theyve been at it for decades ffs.

Also found out last night their coach watched us play last Saturday and watched us train last night.

This is under 12s ffs

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Exaclty this. As well as moving it away from their ground. Theyve been at it for decades ffs.

Also found out last night their coach watched us play last Saturday and watched us train last night.

This is under 12s ffs

still uncompetitive at that age too isnt it? unreal.

i have loads of issues with my parents- i took on a team at under 7s in november as they werent getting any game time in a big squad. these kids went from being shy and unconfident to going on a 3 month unbeaten run. i'm getting more kids in to set up another team, and hopefully do the sme with them. last saturday (a pre-season friendly, before an uncompetitive league), i let four boys play their first ever game of football. we went from 3-0 up to lose 6-3 because i rotated the players fairly.

if those boys werent there, there would have been no game- yet some parents are kicking off about them not being good enough, and we should have wrapped the game up! absolute hypocrites

1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

i have loads of issues with my parents- i took on a team at under 7s in november as they werent getting any game time in a big squad. these kids went from being shy and unconfident to going on a 3 month unbeaten run. i'm getting more kids in to set up another team, and hopefully do the sme with them. last saturday (a pre-season friendly, before an uncompetitive league), i let four boys play their first ever game of football. we went from 3-0 up to lose 6-3 because i rotated the players fairly.

if those boys werent there, there would have been no game- yet some parents are kicking off about them not being good enough, and we should have wrapped the game up! absolute hypocrites

They are starting the first proper league this season. Only the cups were competitive last season. All that aggro last season and nobody is even meant to keep score :D....that's cod heads for you.

Hate all the politics. Similar to your team my youngests team consisted of all the kids that couldn't really be arsed and pissed about in training. The group at under 7 were split in to 3 teams of what was meant to be mixed ability.

Absolute bollocks. The manager who oversees all 3 teams cherry picked all the best players. His best pal got the next group and those left were kids who were late to the party or just generally fucked about. Was really poor from the club as they just got left behind.

Thankfully our manager stuck with it. We are on a par with the middle team now, as the lads have got their shit together. 

In the words of Kevin Keegan...I would love it if we beat them :D

Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

Similar happened to my lad. He played at Eagley Rangers and was lucky to occasionally get on as a sub. About ten other kids were in the same position because the head coach’s philosophy was to fill a sports hall with as many paying kids as you can and then select the best 7 for the game. The rest to turn up in full kit and if Eagley were about 6 ot 7 goals up (and they often were) then the ‘subs’ would get introduced, often replacing another previously used sub. “To keep a strong core to the team” apparently.

We could see that this was damaging to the kids who weren’t considered good enough for the A & B teams so my wife stepped up as manager of a C team. Still utilising the same coaches except at matches when wife would be in charge.

Everything was going great until the club recruited friends of existing players. It turned out my wife’s team was used as a dumping ground for any players seen at training but who were unlikely to be an improvement to those A & B teams. (I recall they were referred to by colour so the kids weren’t seeing their team as better than any other but sorry, cut the bullshit, it was A, B & C!)

It ended up where my wife had a squad of about 20 kids to play a 7-a-side game so some kids were now in exactly the same position they’d come from. Wife was told it was up to her how she dealt with the situation. A proper shit show.

Kids football is a cutthroat world if you aren’t a naturally gifted footballer.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, gonzo said:

They are starting the first proper league this season. Only the cups were competitive last season. All that aggro last season and nobody is even meant to keep score :D....that's cod heads for you.

Hate all the politics. Similar to your team my youngests team consisted of all the kids that couldn't really be arsed and pissed about in training. The group at under 7 were split in to 3 teams of what was meant to be mixed ability.

Absolute bollocks. The manager who oversees all 3 teams cherry picked all the best players. His best pal got the next group and those left were kids who were late to the party or just generally fucked about. Was really poor from the club as they just got left behind.

Thankfully our manager stuck with it. We are on a par with the middle team now, as the lads have got their shit together. 

In the words of Kevin Keegan...I would love it if we beat them :D

Fucking hell, I was typing whilst you were typing. I may as well have cut and pasted your post and inserted team name.

Last season of kids football for us now....so has has been playing in a mens ressies team since end of last season.

The politics in the mens game is just as bad, actually shocked at how much. No real difference to the kids game....well only that the players now do the bitching that the parents used to.

Plus, you hear what the crowd say about your lad, that can be a shock tbh.

Edited by Pablo

The North West Grassroots page on FB is good for morale if ever you’re  bored (I know you only do Grinder Gonzo) there’s some right clowns on that page. 

One thing I do agree with at grass roots is different ability leagues/teams. A lot of folk (mainly on that page) are dead against it but it stops kids getting hammered week in week out. 

50 minutes ago, royal white said:

The North West Grassroots page on FB is good for morale if ever you’re  bored (I know you only do Grinder Gonzo) there’s some right clowns on that page. 

One thing I do agree with at grass roots is different ability leagues/teams. A lot of folk (mainly on that page) are dead against it but it stops kids getting hammered week in week out. 

Do you see the whopper I got? The Welsh Ronnie Pickering 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Similar happened to my lad. He played at Eagley Rangers and was lucky to occasionally get on as a sub. About ten other kids were in the same position because the head coach’s philosophy was to fill a sports hall with as many paying kids as you can and then select the best 7 for the game. The rest to turn up in full kit and if Eagley were about 6 ot 7 goals up (and they often were) then the ‘subs’ would get introduced, often replacing another previously used sub. “To keep a strong core to the team” apparently.

We could see that this was damaging to the kids who weren’t considered good enough for the A & B teams so my wife stepped up as manager of a C team. Still utilising the same coaches except at matches when wife would be in charge.

Everything was going great until the club recruited friends of existing players. It turned out my wife’s team was used as a dumping ground for any players seen at training but who were unlikely to be an improvement to those A & B teams. (I recall they were referred to by colour so the kids weren’t seeing their team as better than any other but sorry, cut the bullshit, it was A, B & C!)

It ended up where my wife had a squad of about 20 kids to play a 7-a-side game so some kids were now in exactly the same position they’d come from. Wife was told it was up to her how she dealt with the situation. A proper shit show.

Kids football is a cutthroat world if you aren’t a naturally gifted footballer.

Under 7's shouldn't be playing organised football. Jeez, they shouldn't have goals & nets, or marked out pitches ffs.

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Under 7's shouldn't be playing organised football. Jeez, they shouldn't have goals & nets, or marked out pitches ffs.

This was Bolton and Bury Junior Football League about 2002 or 3. 

• Site Supporter

Was on a local pitch in the summer having a friendly, pitch next to us was having a 3 way round robin, I’d say u7 but certainly no older than 8.

while the kids were playing, some balloon was shouting over to the coach on the opposite side, the coach waved over with possibly the mouthy gesture  , next thing this balloon is on the pitch doing the pavement dance “ cmon then “ in the middle of the kids , others had to go on to keep apart an the teams playing got taking off crying while balloon had to be restrained and dragged off. 

due to age of my kids, been involved in kids football constantly since 2002 and still am , have seen loads over the years but nothing as bad as that . 

10 hours ago, fatolive said:

Was on a local pitch in the summer having a friendly, pitch next to us was having a 3 way round robin, I’d say u7 but certainly no older than 8.

while the kids were playing, some balloon was shouting over to the coach on the opposite side, the coach waved over with possibly the mouthy gesture  , next thing this balloon is on the pitch doing the pavement dance “ cmon then “ in the middle of the kids , others had to go on to keep apart an the teams playing got taking off crying while balloon had to be restrained and dragged off. 

due to age of my kids, been involved in kids football constantly since 2002 and still am , have seen loads over the years but nothing as bad as that . 

• Site Supporter

Would never laugh at abuse of refs, but this topic reminded me of a time I took an u11 team to play Whelley Alexander in Wigan years ago. 
as was often the case, coaches reffed .  Their coach was reffing and one little scrote of a player of his team was effing and blinding at the ref, that’s a “fucking joke ref “ “ are you fucking blind” etc , ref shouts at him, if you don’t shut up I’ll get Jason take you off

doest listen, ref gives a throw in to us that this little lad doesn’t agree with, shouts out “ yer a nob head ref that was ours” 

Ref says “ right that’s it , Jason take billy  off sub him for Charlie , had enough of his cheek “ 

little scrote then says “ aww Dad “! 😁