Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy

HomerJay

18 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Know of at least one junior side who did training this morning in place of the cancelled fixtures and everyone turned out.

Surely it would have been better to have a full fixture list with a minute of silence or applause which would mean the kids had been part of something they might remember and ask about rather than having a morning dicking about on xbox.

My grandsons' teams also had a training session, 

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

Seatbelts on or off would make little difference in a crash at speed.

Mechanics of injury would see the car coming to an immediate stop following a collision at high speed into an immovable object. The body, whether seat-belted or not continues to move at whatever speed the car was travelling until either the steering wheel, dashboard, front seat (if a rear seat passenger) or the limits of the seatbelt stop it. Then the internal organs continue to move at the speed of the car until they either hit the insides of the body or, in the case of Diana, until a large blood vessel gets beyond its elastic limits and ruptures. 

Top and bottom is, her survivability was down to a load of factors seatbelt was probably low down the list.

Wasn't the only survivor the only one wearing a seatbelt?

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Seems a pretty major factor to me.

Seriously, seatbelt or not, very few survive a deceleration from 60+ mph to 0 mph. That’s my point. I’m not advocating not wearing a seatbelt.

Of course, there is always an exception and some folk will survive such a collision but most don’t.

On 11/08/2022 at 21:34, royal white said:

Just watching the Crystal palace documentary on 4. Many of the kids seem to be getting picked up from inner city areas,  its similar at the Manchester clubs, drive around Moss side, Cheetham hill, Broughton, etc and you see 4g pitches that are free for the kids to use. Last week my lads mate had the police called on him because he and 2 others sneaked onto a schools 4G for a kick about. There needs to be more free facilities for the kids in all areas. 

Just watched South of the River on Netflix, fair play to the kids on there, though there’s huge crime in the areas where the documentary is filmed the majority of the kids seem to have a certain respect for the cages (outdoor football areas) they see football as a way out, whereas up here they just seem to get vandalised. Also explains why there’s so many black kids coming through the ranks especially in inner city areas. 

2 hours ago, royal white said:

Just watched South of the River on Netflix, fair play to the kids on there, though there’s huge crime in the areas where the documentary is filmed the majority of the kids seem to have a certain respect for the cages (outdoor football areas) they see football as a way out, whereas up here they just seem to get vandalised. Also explains why there’s so many black kids coming through the ranks especially in inner city areas. 

Nah football is institutionally racist and there's a lack of diversty.

Just under a year ago I bumped into an old friend in Tesco (booze isle). He told me his lad hadn't played a game in six weeks. His team had too many players, and they were picking 6 year olds 'on merit'. I couldn't believe it, and agreed to help him out until he qualified as a coach. They played their first game in November in a kit I purchased for them. We lost count of the score in a very heavy defeat at Moss Bank (I think).

Today, I was almost overcome with emotion- they played the best football I've seen from 7 year olds outside of an academy. We played most of the game with two players less than our opponents, won 12-1, and could've scored 20. Six different scorers, and the other two came close. We passed, communicated, fought and were ruthless. A year ago, these kids wouldn't shout their own name. 

Never been as proud as a coach... An hour earlier I was coaching another set of 7 year olds who are too shy to shout their own name... 

Football; I fucking love it

On the flip side, my lads team have entered the JPL league this year, the league consist of “high ability” teams from clubs like AFC flyde, Barrow, Stockport, Macclesfield etc. Macclesfield are charging kids £75 a month subs and £100 for all the kits with the promise of an academy style set up and their lads playing against other top teams. My lads team are playing a year up and beat them 22-1, and we didn’t play the full game. 

12 minutes ago, royal white said:

On the flip side, my lads team have entered the JPL league this year, the league consist of “high ability” teams from clubs like AFC flyde, Barrow, Stockport, Macclesfield etc. Macclesfield are charging kids £75 a month subs and £100 for all the kits with the promise of an academy style set up and their lads playing against other top teams. My lads team are playing a year up and beat them 22-1, and we didn’t play the full game. 

It's all bollocks. Macc as an academy? They are below Colls FFS. They pick up good kids, promise academy status, yet don't have the means to deliver, and charge the earth. Meanwhile, said kids miss out on better opportunities. That JPL will take you everywhere

Salford 'should' do it next year... We've heard that before though. Genuinely hope they do (could be a nice little earner 😂).

I also believe your B is above that level btw.

Oh, and NW could really do with the pair of you back if you're free 😁

39 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

It's all bollocks. Macc as an academy? They are below Colls FFS. They pick up good kids, promise academy status, yet don't have the means to deliver, and charge the earth. Meanwhile, said kids miss out on better opportunities. That JPL will take you everywhere

Salford 'should' do it next year... We've heard that before though. Genuinely hope they do (could be a nice little earner 😂).

Tell me about it, the idea of us joining JPL was because we were meant to be using AJ bell as a central venue, that fell through and theres now no under 10 league, hence playing up a year. All home games 1pm at platt lane. The away games are everywhere. Barrow away is a 170 mile round trip for a grass roots game 😫😫 my wanderers season ticket will be getting lent out most weeks! 

Id love nothing more to get back into it, I loved it but I’ve just not got the time now, plus our Dennis is a rugby man now 🤦‍♂️😂

1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

Just under a year ago I bumped into an old friend in Tesco (booze isle). He told me his lad hadn't played a game in six weeks. His team had too many players, and they were picking 6 year olds 'on merit'. I couldn't believe it, and agreed to help him out until he qualified as a coach. They played their first game in November in a kit I purchased for them. We lost count of the score in a very heavy defeat at Moss Bank (I think).

Today, I was almost overcome with emotion- they played the best football I've seen from 7 year olds outside of an academy. We played most of the game with two players less than our opponents, won 12-1, and could've scored 20. Six different scorers, and the other two came close. We passed, communicated, fought and were ruthless. A year ago, these kids wouldn't shout their own name. 

Never been as proud as a coach... An hour earlier I was coaching another set of 7 year olds who are too shy to shout their own name... 

Football; I fucking love it

Ace x

On 24/09/2022 at 18:28, Dr Faustus said:

Colls are in JPL too, and offer the same as all those other lower FL clubs and Non-league.

From what I have seen Colls offer much better coaching than most of the JPL teams, along-side the Chorley / Flyde / Tranmere lot that are in it.

At older ages you find many of the Town teams or schoolboy teams joiin it to help them develop the teams to win stuff at regional schoolboy level. Wirral, Kirkby, St Helens, etc.

But, it is just a jumped up Grass roots, painted as "academy"....just like all the BTEC Football college courses, false dreams n all that.

Edited by Pablo

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

Just heard about this at the weekend

read elsewhere that as well as a broken collar bone he had a broken nose, broken ribs , concussion and whiplash ! 
the FA “enough is enough” got involved now as well as the police . Basically GBH . 

also read this team is made up of people banned from other teams for violence, not sure if that’s just internet talk though. 

• Site Supporter

Just looked him up on Linked In. If it’s the same bloke, he’s on the league committee for appointing refs. Quite often, known problem games will get a committee person to referee so all the players know not to kick off.

Well, I think that’s the plan!