Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What do you lads reckon of this...

My lads under 9 coach is the most qualified in the league. I forget what level he’s at but there’s only him that level across the fylde and some dudes from the FA regularly come and asses his sessions.

Hes had meetings with individual parents after concerns have been raised about his coaching, not by me may I add, and he’s says he’s sticking to the FA blue print.

All sounds good, until Saturday comes and they concede 8 every week as he fucks about with all their postisons as it’s in this blue print to try get every player competent in each position. 

Now for me, my lad will never be a defender as long as I’ve got hairs round my bum hole. He just hasn’t got it in him, he never will. He’s a cracking forward, can whizz past players without thinking. But every week he ends up being switched to the back, along with other kids who shouldn’t be there and they condcede a trillion goals. 

Some of the other kids are getting pissed off with getting beat more often than not and it’s the parents that have to deal with it.

Training seems to be match after match with very little drills, he kind of promotes the kids to be greedy and keep hold of the ball. 

I get it, I get what he’s trying to do, but other coaches aren’t doing that. We play some teams that are drilled to win, big lads at the back, nippy lads up top and all spray the ball about whereas ours are never taught to. 

Individualy our players are as good as any, played the right way and in their positions they are good as anyone. 

Any of you encountered this kind of stuff before?

Yes it's some time ago but my lad got selected for trials for the Wanderers, at the time he was a free scoring striker for his junior team and school. The trials were at canon spade and enough kids turned up for two games Jimmy Phillips was in charge with some other coaches and they proceeded to just randomly give every one a position to play in,my son got centre half I thought fuck me what a waste of time after all he'd been selected on his ability as a forward however he had a great game but all the coaches were watching the match on the other pitch so even if a young Lionel Messi had been on our pitch he'd have been missed. The irony is my lad grew into a big unit and lost that little yard required so was played at centre half by the lads club and every where else he played, he was playing open age at Eagley at 15 so maybe they got it right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, he's following the correct guidlines mate.  FA have a "long term player development" framework. Search it on Google, you'll find loads of info. He's doing the right thing. When they mo

It means a lot more to the kids than simply playing football. They learn so many life skills being part of a team going out every week trying their best for themselves and eachother. Its mor

His; Whilst I have fith in him, I dont for second expect him to make it pro. The last thing he needs is my pressure and expectations weighing him down, he hears it from others. I keep his feet on the

6 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Fleetwood academy is a fantastic set up.

Not got a bad word to say about the place or the coaches.

its only 40 minutes from the macron.

if u get the chance then take it.

Aye it’s not actually as far as fleetwood. Poolfoot is in Thornton.

Only 35-40 mins from buckhsaw max

Big new road going into that side soon as well. Although homos lad will be retired by the time it’s finished :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

What do you lads reckon of this...

My lads under 9 coach is the most qualified in the league. I forget what level he’s at but there’s only him that level across the fylde and some dudes from the FA regularly come and asses his sessions.

Hes had meetings with individual parents after concerns have been raised about his coaching, not by me may I add, and he’s says he’s sticking to the FA blue print.

All sounds good, until Saturday comes and they concede 8 every week as he fucks about with all their postisons as it’s in this blue print to try get every player competent in each position. 

Now for me, my lad will never be a defender as long as I’ve got hairs round my bum hole. He just hasn’t got it in him, he never will. He’s a cracking forward, can whizz past players without thinking. But every week he ends up being switched to the back, along with other kids who shouldn’t be there and they condcede a trillion goals. 

Some of the other kids are getting pissed off with getting beat more often than not and it’s the parents that have to deal with it.

Training seems to be match after match with very little drills, he kind of promotes the kids to be greedy and keep hold of the ball. 

I get it, I get what he’s trying to do, but other coaches aren’t doing that. We play some teams that are drilled to win, big lads at the back, nippy lads up top and all spray the ball about whereas ours are never taught to. 

Individualy our players are as good as any, played the right way and in their positions they are good as anyone. 

Any of you encountered this kind of stuff before?

I think I work with a lad that's part of the set up at Fylde, not Dale is it? Hahah, I know he's working on his UEFA A but you'd have thought it'd be a bit more in-depth that training matches and knocking lads' confidence by slotting them here there and everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gonzo said:

What do you lads reckon of this...

My lads under 9 coach is the most qualified in the league. I forget what level he’s at but there’s only him that level across the fylde and some dudes from the FA regularly come and asses his sessions.

Hes had meetings with individual parents after concerns have been raised about his coaching, not by me may I add, and he’s says he’s sticking to the FA blue print.

All sounds good, until Saturday comes and they concede 8 every week as he fucks about with all their postisons as it’s in this blue print to try get every player competent in each position. 

Now for me, my lad will never be a defender as long as I’ve got hairs round my bum hole. He just hasn’t got it in him, he never will. He’s a cracking forward, can whizz past players without thinking. But every week he ends up being switched to the back, along with other kids who shouldn’t be there and they condcede a trillion goals. 

Some of the other kids are getting pissed off with getting beat more often than not and it’s the parents that have to deal with it.

Training seems to be match after match with very little drills, he kind of promotes the kids to be greedy and keep hold of the ball. 

I get it, I get what he’s trying to do, but other coaches aren’t doing that. We play some teams that are drilled to win, big lads at the back, nippy lads up top and all spray the ball about whereas ours are never taught to. 

Individualy our players are as good as any, played the right way and in their positions they are good as anyone. 

Any of you encountered this kind of stuff before?

The other coaches are doing it wrong. loads do it because they want to win. We all do secretly, but it is proven that it doesn’t make the kids as good as they can be. Before they become teenagers, kids learn by improving things that they aren't so good at, by having the confidence to try stuff that fails, repeatedly, until they work out their own way (with guidance when needed) to do it.

Constructing a game so that you need to win, puts pressure on the kids at the expense of their confidence. E.g. a defender getting better at shooting (even though he may end up missing 3 open goals, which makes his team lose) is good for the player in the long run. A striker scoring another goal, after he’s already scored 5 in a match, against players he can easily get past, isn't going to make him a better player. 

The theory is, in the main, it's not about winning at under 9, especially at grassroots.  It's about developing the individual into a rounded player, who isn't Pidgeon holed, that way they're more likely to stay in the game for longer. The best way of learning at their age is to learn from their own mistakes. Go to Man united academy and at under 5-10, they just have matches, 3v3, 4v4, with very little influence or comment, or structure from the side - they'll do fitness and independent ball mastery drills, but a lot of it is "just let them play". That’s how Messi and Maradona and Pele and Mahrez etc did it. 

The theory is, the kids care more about having fun, playing with their mates,  they want to win, but  they don't remember the scores or the results when they're older, unless adults make a point of it, or construct adult competitions and put pressure on them . I ask my lad about matches he played when he was 8, he can't even remember the names of the teams, let alone the scores.

 

Rotating them into different positions will build their all round game, make them better players for the future, more likely to stay in the game when they're older, and I agree with it, having seen my two lads progress.  It doesn’t happen often at grass roots, but if you put lads in a tournament and mix the players up into different teams, different positions every match, it doesn't become about winning, it becomes about playing well, individually.

tactics and drills are easy to learn, they can do that when they're older, and much better if they've got good ball control and passing ability - mastering the ball and being confident to try things that fail over and over again until they get it right is more important when they're young. If you put a lad in defence all the time because he's good at it when he's 8, doesn’t mean that’s where he'll be playing when he's 20. At the academies you get loads of lads that join wanting to be centre forwards,  usually because in their team they were the best player, scored most of the goals, so their coach played them up front because they wanted to win. Most of them don’t end up being centre forwards, and a lot of them have to learn stuff that they’ve never done before. 

Ball mastery is the most important, they only get a short window to learn it properly, get past 12 and its usually too late. Play a big strong lad at the back and make him tackle and hoof it up all the time and he'll not develop as well technically. play him up front or on the wing for a bit every week and he'll get more chance to develop. Play a striker at the back and he'll learn how to time his tackles better, how to make his body shape better when receiving the ball from the goalkeeper, how to mark better.  It's crap losing matches but it doesn't matter in the long run when they're so young. 

 

Edited by peelyfeet
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
4 hours ago, gonzo said:

What do you lads reckon of this...

My lads under 9 coach is the most qualified in the league. I forget what level he’s at but there’s only him that level across the fylde and some dudes from the FA regularly come and asses his sessions.

Hes had meetings with individual parents after concerns have been raised about his coaching, not by me may I add, and he’s says he’s sticking to the FA blue print.

All sounds good, until Saturday comes and they concede 8 every week as he fucks about with all their postisons as it’s in this blue print to try get every player competent in each position. 

Now for me, my lad will never be a defender as long as I’ve got hairs round my bum hole. He just hasn’t got it in him, he never will. He’s a cracking forward, can whizz past players without thinking. But every week he ends up being switched to the back, along with other kids who shouldn’t be there and they condcede a trillion goals. 

Some of the other kids are getting pissed off with getting beat more often than not and it’s the parents that have to deal with it.

Training seems to be match after match with very little drills, he kind of promotes the kids to be greedy and keep hold of the ball. 

I get it, I get what he’s trying to do, but other coaches aren’t doing that. We play some teams that are drilled to win, big lads at the back, nippy lads up top and all spray the ball about whereas ours are never taught to. 

Individualy our players are as good as any, played the right way and in their positions they are good as anyone. 

Any of you encountered this kind of stuff before?

Funnily enough, my lad was at burnley for a while, and they constantly played him where he said he didnt want to play. ie on the wing and up top, rather then centre back or centre mid. Wanting him to run at players and they told with the ball. I think its maybe comfort zone thing? Maybe they saw things he didnt.. Who knows. We didnt really get any feedback.

Now my lad wants to play. Head up and pass it. He is very comfortable on the ball. but doeskin really focus on going for goal.

But the coaches were having none of it, and then released him. Now we come across the coaches fairly often and they have nothing but praise for him. Confused is an understatement.

Edited by HomerJay
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

Funnily enough, my lad was at burnley for a while, and they constantly played him where he said he didnt want to play. ie on the wing, rather then centre back or centrr mid. wanting him to run at players and they told with the ball. I think its maybe comfort zone thing?

Now my lad wants to play. Head up and pass it. He is very comfortable on the ball. but doeskin really focus on going for goal.

But the coaches were having none of it, and then released him. All we come across the coaches fairly often and they have nothing but praise for him. Confused is an understatement.

At the academies, in the younger ages there's going to be 2 or 3 lads in each age group that make it, and of them, more than half will be out of the profesional game before they're 21. Getting released is normal, I know a  lad that was dropped by city, then scouted by them a few months later. A lad released by Everton when 8, then bought by Everton from Accrington 18 months later.  A lad dropped by BWFC as a defender, now plays in goals for Everton. Lads who've played for 7 academies by the time they're 12. lads who look like they're the best player at the best academy when they're 8 but end up dropping down through the academies and out of the game by 13.  It's ruthless.

Some of the academies may have one or 2 stand out players in the team that they already know are very likley to make it, and in some cases some of the team are makeweights, picked to help the star player(s) develop. There's a lad at Utd, awesome player,  scores 10 in matches against other Cat1 academies, Russian. Many of the lads in his team are giants, picked and played in positions where they can feed him. 

if you think your lad has a chance I'd concentrate on ball control and mastery, futsal skills are excellent, get some 1-1 coaching with an experienced high level coach, coerver coaching is a good resource. 

If you think he's a good player but hasn't really got a chance, just let him have fun.  

Edited by peelyfeet
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

At the academies, in the younger ages there's going to be 2 or 3 lads in each age group that make it, and of them, more than half will be out of the professional game before they're 21. Getting released is normal, I know a  lad that was dropped by city, then scouted by them a few months later. A lad released by Everton when 8, then bought by Everton from Accrington 18 months later.  A lad dropped by BWFC as a defender, now plays in goals for Everton. Lads who've played for 7 academies by the time they're 12. lads who look like they're the best player at the best academy when they're 8 but end up dropping down through the academies and out of the game by 13.  It's ruthless.

Some of the academies may have one or 2 stand out players in the team that they already know are very likley to make it, and in some cases some of the team are makeweights, picked to help the star player(s) develop. There's a lad at Utd, aewesome player,  scores 10 in matches against other Cat1 academies, Russian. Many of the lads in his team are giants, picked and played in positions where they can feed him. 

if you think your lad has a chance I'd concentrate on ball control and mastery, futsal skills are excellent, get some 1-1 coaching with an experienced high level coach, coerver coaching is a good resource. 

If you think he's a good player but hasn't really got a chance, just let him have fun.  

We dont really push him. Everything is his decision. But equally we do say dont miss an opportunity if its there. As i say, he plays a year up in Futsal, and has been offered a year up at grass roots. But he want to play his current grass roots team, unless another academy comes for him. 

He certainly has hunger to just play footy and enjoy it. He doesnt have that drive to play for a "top" club... Dunno if thats a good thing or a "bad" thing. 

Edited by HomerJay
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Aye it’s not actually as far as fleetwood. Poolfoot is in Thornton.

Only 35-40 mins from buckhsaw max

Big new road going into that side soon as well. Although homos lad will be retired by the time it’s finished :)

aye, but still too far for us to get him there, around our working hours unfortunately.

the scout put me in touch with another more local :)  team, so we will see what comes of that over coming weeks.

Edited by HomerJay
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/08/2020 at 08:55, HomerJay said:

Fleetwood Town "academy". Whats the craic? 

They are a good set up, well funded and mad keen on development. They tend to give lads a better chance that have had at the bigger clubs.

Bolton scout I know now works for them, who I beleive you had spoke to when he was at Bolton.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

Nearly spat my tea out. 

 

If the FA allow the Futsal league this season, and if you get chance, you should go and watch Bolton's first team, they've got 5 England senior / u23 players this season, should finish in top 3. 

 

Only downside to the juniour futsal is the FA dont let any academy boys play in the national Cup competitions which is bonkers because there's 12,000 lads and about 11,700 of them won't be footballers.

 

Some lads must play under different names then.....

My lad trained with Bolton futsal for years, even went to Barcelaona with them, MP is a decent bloke who runs it.

Edited by Pablo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HomerJay said:

I dont really push him. Everything is his decision. As i say, he plays a year up in Futsal, and has been offered a year up at grass roots. But he want to play his current grass roots team, unless another academy comes for him. 

He certainly has hunger to just play footy and enjoy it. He doesnt have that drive to play for a "top" club... Dunno if thats a good thing or a bad thing. 

Depends what he wants to do, sounds like he's having fun which is the main thing. There are some lads that want it and get pushed - training or playing 5 times a week, strength and conditioning on top, modified diet, paying for  extra 1-1 coaching, seeing private physios,  £200 boots, protein shakes after training, when they're 11 years old.  

I've got two lads, like chalk and cheese - both good footballers but one wants it and they other plays for fun. The one that wants it doesn't see his school mates so often, goes to bed early, doesn't eat pizzas and chocolate and mcdonalds when offered to him, spends an hour a day stretching and excercising at home, the other one's on his xbox all day with his mates -  who's having the better life??

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Depends what he wants to do, sounds like he's having fun which is the main thing. There are some lads that want it and get pushed - training or playing 5 times a week, strength and conditioning on top, modified diet, paying for  extra 1-1 coaching, seeing private physios,  £200 boots, protein shakes after training, when they're 11 years old.  

I've got two lads, like chalk and cheese - both good footballers but one wants it and they other plays for fun. The one that wants it doesn't see his school mates so often, goes to bed early, doesn't eat pizzas and chocolate and mcdonalds when offered to him, spends an hour a day stretching and excercising at home, the other one's on his xbox all day with his mates -  who's having the better life??

i know one of these, poor lads been pushed all over the place.  Now, he was decent player but i reckon he's sick of footy now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Some lads must play under different names then.....

My lad trained with Bolton futsal for years, even went to Barcelaona with them, MP is a decent bloke who runs it.

MP doesn't play them in the FA competitions,  at least not for the last few years. He joins non FA affiliated competitions and friendlies so they can get games, some other futsal clubs do it too, and in the FA competitions they  enter grass roots lads.

Can't risk getting the club sanctioned, the first team is in the top FA league in the country, strict rules on registrations, player quotas, punishments etc , they were kicked out of the FA cup for an issue a few years ago.

 To play in the FA competitions or matches, the players have to be registered with the club on FA whole game system, photograph, name address etc - if the player is already registered with a pro club, it can't be done. 

All the large junior futsal clubs are in the same boat, they've got lads from every major club you can think of training and playing "friendlies", but they aren't registered players and so can't represent them in the FA matches. It's crazy because they can play rugby, cricket,  basketball etc for other teams, just not futsal.

It's the premier league clubs fault apparently, they dont want their players playing any organised matches with anyone but the club and school. 

It's bonkers because futsal aids football developmenat and vice versa. There's a lad called Max Killman, played futsal for England, had to quit when Wolves signed him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Kilman

I've been to barca 3 times with MP, had to cancel it this year unfortunately, with the corona shit.

Edited by peelyfeet
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

MP doesn't play them in the FA competitions,  at least not for the last few years. He joins non FA affiliated competitions and friendlies so they can get games, some other futsal clubs do it too, and in the FA competitions they just enter gras roots lads.

Can't risk getting the club sanctioned, the first team is in the top FA league in the country, strict rules on registrations, player quotas, punishments etc , they were kicked out of the FA cup for an issue a few years ago.

 To play in the FA competitions or matches, the players have to be registered with the club on FA whole game system, photograph, name address etc - if the player is already registered with a pro club, it can't be done. 

All the large junior futsal clubs are in the same boat, they've got lads from every major club you can think of training and playing "friendlies", but they aren't registered players and so can't represent them in the FA matches. It's crazy because they can play rugby, cricket,  basketball etc for other teams, just not futsal.

It's the premier league clubs fault apparently, they dont want their players playing any organised matches with anyone but the club and school. 

It's bonkers because futsal aids football developmenat and vice versa. There's a lad called Max Killman, played futsal for England, had to quit when Wolves signed him https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Kilman

I've been to barca 3 times with MP, had to cancel it this year unfortunately, with the corona shit.

 

Good company MP is, and my lad enjoyed playing with him for the younger years.

They did win the national competiton playing atleast 1 signed academy lad, was maybe U12/u13's at the time (currenlty u16's group)...some older aged lads played in some of the games along the way too....so maybe it was not regulated at that time, they was an absolutly cracking team...team was mainly managed by the other coach at that time rather than MP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pablo said:

 

Good company MP is, and my lad enjoyed playing with him for the younger years.

They did win the national competiton playing atleast 1 signed academy lad, was maybe U12/u13's at the time (currenlty u16's group)...some older aged lads played in some of the games along the way too....so maybe it was not regulated at that time, they was an absolutly cracking team...team was mainly managed by the other coach at that time rather than MP.

Can't play them any more unfortunately.

They've got some awesome players now, one invited to train with Barca last year U13, and they've started attracting players from other clubs at U16 and above. England played Germany last Autumn at St georges park, Bolton had 4 players who all palyed on the day, their new director of coaching is arguably Englands best ever futsal player. Mat is coaching fotball in Dubai now, Fahid (if you knew him) has left futsal for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Can't play them any more unfortunately.

They've got some awesome players now, one invited to train with Barca last year U13, and they've started attracting players from other clubs at U16 and above. England played Germany last Autumn at St georges park, Bolton had 4 players who all palyed on the day, their new director of coaching is arguably Englands best ever futsal player. Mat is coaching fotball in Dubai now, Fahid (if you knew him) has left futsal for now.

 

They have put some serious work in over the years, really grown that reputation. Its great for the area and the sport.

Yes, know Fahid, he trained my lad a bit before we stepped away from futsal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pablo said:

 

They have put some serious work in over the years, really grown that reputation. Its great for the area and the sport.

Yes, know Fahid, he trained my lad a bit before we stepped away from futsal.

All down to MP, he'll be back in OZ in next few years so will have to see if it continues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

Burnley gone up to cat 1. I know that means more education, further scouting etc; but any ideas what it means for parents? Do we get expenses? Does he get more freebies? 

Yep, gloves with 6 fingers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2020 at 11:21, peelyfeet said:

The other coaches are doing it wrong. loads do it because they want to win. We all do secretly, but it is proven that it doesn’t make the kids as good as they can be. Before they become teenagers, kids learn by improving things that they aren't so good at, by having the confidence to try stuff that fails, repeatedly, until they work out their own way (with guidance when needed) to do it.

Constructing a game so that you need to win, puts pressure on the kids at the expense of their confidence. E.g. a defender getting better at shooting (even though he may end up missing 3 open goals, which makes his team lose) is good for the player in the long run. A striker scoring another goal, after he’s already scored 5 in a match, against players he can easily get past, isn't going to make him a better player. 

The theory is, in the main, it's not about winning at under 9, especially at grassroots.  It's about developing the individual into a rounded player, who isn't Pidgeon holed, that way they're more likely to stay in the game for longer. The best way of learning at their age is to learn from their own mistakes. Go to Man united academy and at under 5-10, they just have matches, 3v3, 4v4, with very little influence or comment, or structure from the side - they'll do fitness and independent ball mastery drills, but a lot of it is "just let them play". That’s how Messi and Maradona and Pele and Mahrez etc did it. 

The theory is, the kids care more about having fun, playing with their mates,  they want to win, but  they don't remember the scores or the results when they're older, unless adults make a point of it, or construct adult competitions and put pressure on them . I ask my lad about matches he played when he was 8, he can't even remember the names of the teams, let alone the scores.

 

Rotating them into different positions will build their all round game, make them better players for the future, more likely to stay in the game when they're older, and I agree with it, having seen my two lads progress.  It doesn’t happen often at grass roots, but if you put lads in a tournament and mix the players up into different teams, different positions every match, it doesn't become about winning, it becomes about playing well, individually.

tactics and drills are easy to learn, they can do that when they're older, and much better if they've got good ball control and passing ability - mastering the ball and being confident to try things that fail over and over again until they get it right is more important when they're young. If you put a lad in defence all the time because he's good at it when he's 8, doesn’t mean that’s where he'll be playing when he's 20. At the academies you get loads of lads that join wanting to be centre forwards,  usually because in their team they were the best player, scored most of the goals, so their coach played them up front because they wanted to win. Most of them don’t end up being centre forwards, and a lot of them have to learn stuff that they’ve never done before. 

Ball mastery is the most important, they only get a short window to learn it properly, get past 12 and its usually too late. Play a big strong lad at the back and make him tackle and hoof it up all the time and he'll not develop as well technically. play him up front or on the wing for a bit every week and he'll get more chance to develop. Play a striker at the back and he'll learn how to time his tackles better, how to make his body shape better when receiving the ball from the goalkeeper, how to mark better.  It's crap losing matches but it doesn't matter in the long run when they're so young. 

 

Sorry slow reply on my hollibobos.

Thats top pal and exactly what the coach was trying to get across to parents in meetings. 

Its the parents, as ever that are cunts. 

Cheers for all the other responses too, put my mind at rest. 

 

Meanderson...it’s not dale but I know who dale is haha. Well respected him. My lads At BJFF. Ace set up, they always have been since I was a kid, however fylde coast soccer are new on the scene and ruffling feathers! Some ex villa coach running the operation and it’s a different level from the normal parents of players coaching etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Sorry slow reply on my hollibobos.

Thats top pal and exactly what the coach was trying to get across to parents in meetings. 

Its the parents, as ever that are cunts. 

Cheers for all the other responses too, put my mind at rest. 

 

Meanderson...it’s not dale but I know who dale is haha. Well respected him. My lads At BJFF. Ace set up, they always have been since I was a kid, however fylde coast soccer are new on the scene and ruffling feathers! Some ex villa coach running the operation and it’s a different level from the normal parents of players coaching etc.

is a good set up there- decent tournaments.

 

again I'd echo what everyone else has said, let them become footballers before they become players. Positions etc will develop around 12; one of the main things Burnley constantly compliment my lad on (their keeper) is his distribution, and ability to start attacks. He played outfield constantly rotating until a couple of years back until the exclusivity kicked in. Ederson played outfield until 12 or so, and the amount of European teams they have played without a standalone keeper was surprising.

Even at u11 academies they switch positions somewhat, all the kids have a range of abilities and the whole point of the foundation stage is development.

I used to hate being a grassroots parent; not because of the coach or the results, but other parents. I hated the screaming and shouting from the sidelines, and using terms that no 9/10 year old would understand. The previous coach put emphasis on developing, and most were too short sighted to see it. However, I understood their frustration. When I took over the team I tried to compromise; I explained that as they were approaching competitive football (this season u12s), I would keep the same ethos on development, whilst also teaching the kids not to like defeat. It wasnt the be all and end all, however I wanted to give them some lessons in life; try your best, express yourself, be respectful, and enjoy yourself. That's all any coach wants- anyone who just wants to chase trophies can join Tika Taka or Fletcher Moss

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Burnley gone up to cat 1. I know that means more education, further scouting etc; but any ideas what it means for parents? Do we get expenses? Does he get more freebies? 

Expenses and freebies are down to the individual team.

You'll play the same teams in Cat 1 as now, well in a normal season - there's rumours going around that this season we'll be playing in local bubbles, only a few teams per bubble, to reduce travelling and to avoid local locokdowns affecting the fixtures of teams in other areas - someone has said they've heard it's 4 or 5 teams per bubble - so you might be playing Blackburn, Preston, Accrington a lot. Apparently Bolton are in with Wigan, Liverpool and Everton, but it's only a rumour so may be total rubbish.   Fixtures planned to start on October 4th

There's not much difference between cat 1 and 2, apart from the education bit.

Cat 1 can recruit nationally from u12 as long as they provide full time eductaion for the lad, the compenastion is £15k a year more than Cat2 from u12 upwards for transfers, minimunm training hours per week is a couple of hours higher but most do over the minimum anyway, there has to be minimum 2 full time coaches  below under 12s, instead of 1, and there has to be enough grass pitches pitches for all teams to play on, one floodlit, and an indoor pitch, needs to be 3 classroomms with 20 computers - that's about it really.

 

Edited by peelyfeet
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Expenses and freebies are down to the individual team.

You'll play the same teams in Cat 1 as now, well in a normal season - there's rumours going around that this season we'll be playing in local bubbles, only a few teams per bubble, to reduce travelling and to avoid local locokdowns affecting the fixtures of teams in other areas - someone has said they've heard it's 4 or 5 teams per bubble - so you might be playing Blackburn, Preston, Accrington a lot. Apparently Bolton are in with Wigan, Liverpool and Everton, but it's only a rumour so may be total rubbish.   Fixtures planned to start on October 4th

There's not much difference between cat 1 and 2 really, apart from they education bit.

Cat 1 can recruit nationally from u12 as long as they provide full time eductaion for the lad, the compenastion is £15k a year more than Cat2 from u12 upwards for transfers, minimunm training hours per week is a couple of hours higher but most do over the minimum anyway, there has to be minimum 2 full time coaches  below under 12s, instead of 1, and there has to be enough grass pitches pitches for all teams to play on, one floodlit, and an indoor pitch, needs to be 3 classroomms with 20 computers - that's about it really.

 

So no different at all then, other than being the other side of the country at daft o'clock on a Sunday. Little sh#t turned down Wigan and Man City which would've saved us a fortune over the past five years

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

So no different at all then, other than being the other side of the country at daft o'clock on a Sunday. Little sh#t turned down Wigan and Man City which would've saved us a fortune over the past five years

Not really that you'll notice. Main thing is the national recruitment and eductaion, so if Burnley offer eductaion, they'll either put the lads in a local high school, or take them out of ther own school for a day a week and give them a bit more training. They dont have to offer it and the kids dont have to take it.

You  may get some lads who re-locate from other parts of the country to come and play - there's not many who do it at a young age, unless they're total superstars, because they don't want to move house and school when they're 11, and in all honesty they usually go to united, city, liverpool or a london club.

We left city because it's too far, we live 40 miles away from Etihad, so I was having to finish work early, and he was having to get out of school early to try and avoid the rush hour on the motorways so we could get to training on time,  and then he'd fall asleep in the car on the way home, not want to do any homework when he got back, was a nightmare. Did it for about 18 months.

I can get to lostock in under 25 mins, so ideal.

A lad out of his class plays for Stoke, with part time education - once a week a mini bus picks him up at 7am and drops him home in the early evening - but his dad has to drive to stoke and back 3 times a week, it takes 4 and a half hours out of his day every time, and costs him about £200 a month in petrol, he gets nothing back.   

Travelling isn't so bad at first, and all the dads are eager when the kids are young, watching all the training sessions. When they get to 14 and you've been doing it for 4 days a week for 8 years, the novelty wears off, the conversations with the same people become more boring 

Edited by peelyfeet
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.