Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

EFL Trophy 2020/2021

Leyther_Matt

Didn't see the game live but from the highlights, there were some cracking goals.

- Crawford's cross, poked back across the box by White? Tap in. Lovely stuff.

- Their second goal, phwoar, great strike.

- Crawford again making things happen for our equaliser. Drives into the space, looks like he's lining up a shot, disguises a pass into Miller and a lovely finish.

Despite 2/2 losses in competitive games, there's lots to be positive about. Do still think we'll end up switching to a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 eventually but hopefully we can get this wingback system working as it's good to have the option.

9 hours ago, Ani said:

Is it not incredibly obvious that we need a holding midfield player to sit in front of the defence to cut out the through balls ? 

They should have two defensive minded midfielders who can drop in behind the wide midfielders and cover as required in tougher games, but it is a flexible formation in that these five midfielders can be rotated depending on the opposition and state of the game. This is where the manager leaves himself open to criticism as he will decide on the mix of the midfield and therefore the success of the formation in each match.

The fact still remains that this sort of tactical approach will not bear fruit overnight and therefore I still think we will lose/draw as many as we win before Christmas but then hopefully things click and we push up the table.

2 hours ago, Nowack said:

They should have two defensive minded midfielders who can drop in behind the wide midfielders and cover as required in tougher games, but it is a flexible formation in that these five midfielders can be rotated depending on the opposition and state of the game. This is where the manager leaves himself open to criticism as he will decide on the mix of the midfield and therefore the success of the formation in each match.

The fact still remains that this sort of tactical approach will not bear fruit overnight and therefore I still think we will lose/draw as many as we win before Christmas but then hopefully things click and we push up the table.

Great points or one of the 3 defenders drops deeper and cuts out the trough ball. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

Wanderers have been placed in Group D in the Northern Section, in the first round of the 2021/22 Papa John’s Trophy campaign, along with Sky Bet League Two sides Rochdale, and Port Vale.

The three sides will be joined in the group by an invited club, which will be one from the following list:

Invited Clubs:

Everton U21.

Leeds United U21.

Leicester City U21.

Liverpool U21.

Manchester City U21.

Manchester United U21.

Newcastle United U21.

Wolverhampton Wanderers U21.

A draw will take place live on Sky Sports from 4:30pm on Thursday (June 23) where one of the above Invited Clubs will be drawn into Group D.

Confirmation of the fixture dates for the competition will be announced in due course.

• Members
1 minute ago, Traf said:

I doubt many people care

#BTeamBoycott

I’m with you sister. Only been to one game and that’s when the kids played against Bradford, apart from that the tournament can bite my bollocks 

Just now, Rudy said:

I’m with you sister. Only been to one game and that’s when the kids played against Bradford, apart from that the tournament can bite my bollocks 

Cheers, hunni xx