Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

2 hours ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Fookin dogshit!

I know (apparently) that I need to be educated in how to play/watch football (again)

I may be wrong, but The Yorkie Shite Pricks literally had 2 opportunities  ..... & scored both of them!

If you're a manager that used to be a CB! & wants to play 3 Harlem Globetrotters at the back ... at least organise them properly to defend, be strong & dominate the aerial threats, fookin shite! Dickhead.

I was quite proud early days when he became our manager, strong full of conviction etc, crewe & today, becoming a wuss with excuses already like the pricks before him. Sort your shit out, be a man of character. Fook Baptiste off for a start 

Rioch & Allardyce didn't start off too great but built & built quickly, do the same IE, don't become a tart.

I hate losing, I hate losing to Yorkshire shite even more. Give your heads a wobble , sort your shit out, dominated a game & bloody lost! Thanks for the education 

2 chances? They could/should have easily had 3 before they scored their first in fairness. We were at 6s and 7s at the back  

But relax, it’s early days. 

I listened to Evatt’s post match interview and he definitely wasn’t “talking down” to us like Hill appeared to. Not sure what you heard?!

• Site Supporter

Anyone thinking of not going until the “taking a knee” stops is missing an opportunity.

If you feel so strongly about it; and if plenty enough others do too, everyone turning their backs on the pitch during the taking a knee will send a louder message that turning your back on the club.

• Site Supporter

Not the greatest of performances but still something to work on.

The defence was poor, let Bradford through far too easily. For me, Evatt has to find a way of getting Crawford in the starting 11 which could be harsh on White or Comley who I liked the look of.

im not a fan of 3 at the back either especially as neither full back impressed me going forward or defensively

3 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not the greatest of performances but still something to work on.

The defence was poor, let Bradford through far too easily. For me, Evatt has to find a way of getting Crawford in the starting 11 which could be harsh on White or Comley who I liked the look of.

im not a fan of 3 at the back either especially as neither full back impressed me going forward or defensively

It didn’t look good yesterday but apparently Barrow started last season poorly and it was the change to 3 at the back which coincided with their success, and then them gaining the most clean sheets in the division.

So

1) I think we should give it a bit before we all say it’s wrong

2) I can’t see him changing his mind on it based on the above anyway 

• Site Supporter

I will say it again... We had 11 players who are new to the club starting yesterday, it needs time & it's probably in our favour that games are behind closed doors given the impatience of some people. It might never come good but analysing it to death & writing it off after the first competitive game is madness. 

9 hours ago, meanderson93 said:

Don't think it's for this thread, but there aren't half as many black men/people in America, just saying. 

Irrelevant how volumes differ, when did you last see protests about whites being shot? They’ve made their point in bending the knee it’s now become political for black power and that’s not acceptable in our sport.

10 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Or alternatively we can say this team is better until they haven't won for a few months.... 

Arguably yes but the jury's out, we need evidence before we come to conclusions.  We did have a mini half decent run of 3 draws before lock down, there seems to be a perception we were losing 5-0 every week but in reality we've lost some decent players (including 1 to long term injury) and much of the current squad is an unknown quantity to date.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Arguably yes but the jury's out, we need evidence before we come to conclusions.  We did have a mini half decent run of 3 draws before lock down, there seems to be a perception we were losing 5-0 every week but in reality we've lost some decent players (including 1 to long term injury) and much of the current squad is an unknown quantity to date.

The jury certainly wasn't out on last seasons shite. 

57 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I will say it again... We had 11 players who are new to the club starting yesterday, it needs time & it's probably in our favour that games are behind closed doors given the impatience of some people. It might never come good but analysing it to death & writing it off after the first competitive game is madness. 

Spot on

Any chance of keeping the knee argument to its own thread; it always ends the same way 🙂

10 hours ago, Deanu said:

Thats exactly how most teams in this league will play at our ground, sit back, be well organized & hit us in behind because our back three look like they run through quick sand. The wing backs didn't get one cross in, Jones looked comfy but they turned back for the easy option they're meant to be the creators in this tactic now whether that was down to being scared to commit due to having to cover the lack of pace in the back 3 thats where Comley should drop back to turn into a back 4 in transition. White & Crellin were two who weren't the most exciting signings put they impressed the most for me. Delfouneso too, the only real pace and tried getting in behind. Sarce was iffy with his passing but very combatant all action & gets himself in the box to support. Doyle ain't scoring if played like this though, he was dropping deep attempting through balls trying to dribble down the wing... He made his name from off the ball movement not on the ball the less involved he is the better. All in all I think we can see we're trying to be a possession based team it's just they lacked the basics first. Also lacking bravery on the ball hopefully can start playing in between the lines & create dangerous situations for our better players to punish teams. Still think we need a striker of a target man sort though, somebody who can come on to bring others into play thats how Quigley was so influential to Evatts style at Barrow. This Morecambe lad seems a waste of a spot, would rather see Amoateng have had his role & see a target man come in. Also worrying that if Evatt changes formation we have no wingers at all now Politic is out, so our wing backs need improve going forward.

That's my concern with this formation.  It feels like we have no full backs defending (as evidenced by reports of our recent games) and no wingers.  And then the centre forwards come out wide to make up for the lack of wingers . That's 5 positions weakened - just so that we have an extra centre back?  I'm sure it will turn out fine but personally I just dont get it, I'm willing to be educated though.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Rudy said:

Composed on the ball, everyone looked comfortable on it. 
White was class

The defending was all about shape, that’s just training it’ll come. 

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Both of these comments spot on.

IE knows what needs to be done. Trust him to sort it out.

There can’t be many (if any?) cases where a starting team on day one fields no players from the season before. You can’t replicate the competitive game situation in training. They are going to be learning and gelling for some weeks yet.

11 debutants who haven't played any competitive football together went down by a goal to a more organised/knitted-together outfit in a fairly meaningless game.

Plenty of possession, but maybe a case of passing too often for the sake of it.

Opposition will have more tackles/interceptions/blocks etc if we've got the ball more, logic tells you that.

A couple of soft goals, granted, but this is a soft league and ALL teams will gift goals. Bradford should have done better with the one we scored in fairness.

Plenty of positives, though. Players looking to receive the ball rather than hiding, White was the best on the pitch, Comley very industrious, Delfouneso linked well, Crellin made some saves, but looks suspect on crosses so that's where the basketball players need to step up to the mark.

We've got to assume that this was Evatt's preferred eleven, so they should play Tuesday against Crewe in my opinion, before considering mass changes.  

4 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

IE is stuck with this system due to all his signings he will have to make it work otherwise we are fucked.

How is he stuck with it?

We've enough players available to play 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 4-4-3 etc etc.

1 minute ago, Traf said:

How is he stuck with it?

We've enough players available to play 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 3-4-3, 4-4-3 etc etc.

Because we have no real wingers with Politic out, the ideal would have been the ability to bring Politic on for one of the CBs and switch to a more traditional Back 4 and do either 4-4-2 with Gordon/Crawford on the left or 4-3-3 with Politic and Delfouneso wide of Doyle. 

Think we badly need a replacement for Politic's versatility, maybe a Championship or Prem loanee that can play as a winger/forward. 

1 minute ago, meanderson93 said:

It's a position he can certainly play comfortably, I'd say its where he's played most for us and arguably been most successful. 

He was no use on the right, but was more effectively on cutting in from the left as a wide forward. I think he's a No. 10 more than anything though.

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Wilder at Sheff Utd were bottom of L1 in his first 4 games, he stuck to his footballing principles and stormed the league in the end, they also had a shit load of new players as well.

If IE changed his philosophy after his first competitive game and one defeat in a cup game, what would we think of him then ?

Totally agree IE as to stick with it and give him time this squad as been brought together to play to his principles of 3-5-2 . I hope he plays the same team against Crewe which will give us a further idea of improvement because last time they was way better than us.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Wilder at Sheff Utd were bottom of L1 in his first 4 games, he stuck to his footballing principles and stormed the league in the end, they also had a shit load of new players as well.

If IE changed his philosophy after his first competitive game and one defeat in a cup game, what would we think of him then ?

Spot on all our recent managers seem to have started with their own strong principles and at the first sign of it not going to plan have resorted to ale house tactics, and inevitable failure.