Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Equality in sport

Rudy

Good post. However - even as someone probably filed in the lefty liberal club - I would say the current situation has got to the point where it is probably beyond contrived and, in becoming routine, loses the impact of the original gesture in the NFL.

Personally speaking, I’d like to see the en masse knee quietly retired but I would very much like to see a combined effort between the clubs and the FA to improve race relations and integration in to football throughout the country. That would certainly be something BWFC could lead given the ethnic mix of the town’s population. Maybe turn a few towards their hometown club instead of Liverpool at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

I'm not a massive fan in all honesty.

I've no idea of the England line up agaist Iceland, I didnt watch it.  Genuine question, how diverse was it?

Not Very

5 From the North West (Manchester & Merseyside clubs), 4 From London(Spurs & West Ham), 1 from the South Coast(Southampton) & 1 from a German Club (Dortmund).

No Represenentatives from Yorkshire, the Midlands, the South East or the Other Home Nations.

I guess thats the problem with picking on ability & availability rather than fulfilling quotas.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

Just looked it up, the team that finished (as that suits the argument more 😂) had 5 black fellas out of 11.

I dont know the UK demographic but surely that alsone says theres not really an issue?

Aye. Racism doesn't exist in England because the National team fielded 5 black players. That's exactly how it works.

4 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

I'm not a massive fan in all honesty.

I've no idea of the England line up agaist Iceland, I didnt watch it.  Genuine question, how diverse was it?

Not very diverse 

All male, all under 40 so clear age and gender discrimination 

No sign of any British Indian or British Chinese either, so clear ethnicity discrimination  

2 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Isn't there more equality in sport than any other part of society?

Less equality as it’s best person for the job

East Africans win long distance events, West Africans / Caribbean win shorter distance etc etc 

No handicapping based on ethnicity, age etc 

Edited by birch-chorley

4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Less equality as it’s best person for the job

East Africans win long distance events, West Africans / Caribbean win shorter distance etc etc 

No handicapping based on ethnicity, age etc 

But that's not we are talking about. We're looking at the social aspect not the geographical talent aspect.

Sports people, like actors, musicians etc are in the public eye.  If they get an opportunity to make a statement against perceived injustice, why shouldn't they?

You can ignore them or disagree with them if you like.   Thank God that there are people in the public eye, who are brave enough to stick their head above the parapet and make a point. 

• Members
16 minutes ago, tkonion said:

Sport should be a chance to escape from everyday pressures of life. It's no place for virtue signalling and politics IMO.

Which is all well and good until someone is booed for the colour Of their skin 

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Not seen too much booing for skin colour. Certainly not this side of 1970s. I remember the “Ooh, ooh, ooh” chants from the Burnden Terrace, bananas being thrown on the pitch, chants like, “Zigger-zagger -zigger, Chelsea’s got a n******”

looking back, you’ve got to wonder what the hell was going on in the heads of some supporters. At the time I remembered wondering why. Was it to put the black guy off his game thus giving us the edge. In reality, I think it probably spurred on the black players so they had a blinder. I remember Viv Anderson suffering all the torment from the terrace and he responded by ripping us a new arsehole.

• Members
18 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I think they are more likely to get booed because they are shit or because of performances rather than the colour of their skin, nobody booed Jay-Jay, but Chris Taylor got dogs abuse, and it wasn't because he was white. 

If you’re shit you should be booed, but don’t think it was too long ago that Tyrone Mings was getting it, Sterling was getting it. As a coach who’s around these players let me tell you, it sticks with them, it’s not easy to brush off.

So it may have stemmed recently from an issue across the pond but it’s a protest against it in general. It shouldn’t even be a topic of debate Grey but unfortunately it is.

31 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Totally agree mate. But, none of this is going to make that change. Racists will still be racist. People might call it out more but they will still exist on all sides of the colour spectrum. 

I feel this taking the knee will just serve to become highly decisive once fans are allowed back into stadia across many sports. 

• Members
10 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Totally agree mate. But, none of this is going to make that change. Racists will still be racist. People might call it out more but they will still exist on all sides of the colour spectrum. 

I feel this taking the knee will just serve to become highly decisive once fans are allowed back into stadia across many sports. 

To be honest pal, I’m not for it being all the time because it can become a gimmick, I am glad it has happened in the first weekend so the issue isn’t forgotten, it needs to move on from here though and hopefully it’s remembered in time that footballers took a stand and did their part for equality.