Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Equality in sport

Rudy

18 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

There is difference between anger and not wanting to see it. People have there opinions about it and just because they don't agree with it, doesn't make them angry

Some are angry though are nt they ? Not saying you are but it has got to some. 

• Members
On 13/09/2020 at 15:08, Rudy said:

Really wish I didn’t do this thread

Twisted firestarter ;)

Good to get things aired mate. Don't worry about it.

Hopefully one day we'll arrive at 'a man is a man is a man' and skin colour won't even be noticed or be a factor and nor will there need to be a song and dance any time anyone uses what a bunch of self important cunts with fuck all else to do deem an inappropriate word.

It is a very thought provoking thread.

Has anyone asked their black friends what they think abot BLM ? 

Has anyone ever been with a black person when they have been abused? It is a very upsetting experience. I was with one of my friends walking on the pavement  a van pulled up alongside us and we were spat at ... it missed . FYI No witnesses, no cctv , she is black , i am white. 

I experienced another issue on a bus, i confronted the abuser , a bit stupid as i am 60 something and he was in his 30s . He did it as he was getting off the bus , so verbally abused an old black guy and in effect ran off . 

Anyway thats my two penneth  view. If anyone wants to take the knee it is OK by me.

BTW , i do not see so much "noise" on a thread when the FA have there " rainbow laces" day ...players have rainbow laces and the corner flags are "rainbow flags" in support of LGBTQ+ . Does that tell us anything? Just saying / asking.

Edited by Nottm_Wanderer

1 hour ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

BTW , i do not see so much "noise" on a thread when the FA have there " rainbow laces" day ...players have rainbow laces and the corner flags are "rainbow flags" in support of LGBTQ+ . Does that tell us anything? Just saying / asking.

Just wait for the outrage on here when the players decide to bend over before kick-off in support of the gays, and their movement known as BUM - Benders and Unsures Matter

Anyway, stop talking about it.  it's all a myth, there are no problems with racism in this country.  Talking about it only turns it into a problem.

F30F1A30-4E0C-4676-AF83-9B1DF9F992B8_102

Edited by DazBob

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Has anyone ever been with a black person when they have been abused? It is a very upsetting experience. I was with one of my friends walking on the pavement  a van pulled up alongside us and we were spat at ... it missed . FYI No witnesses, no cctv , she is black , i am white. 

I experienced another issue on a bus, i confronted the abuser , a bit stupid as i am 60 something and he was in his 30s . He did it as he was getting off the bus , so verbally abused an old black guy and in effect ran off . 

Anyway thats my two penneth  view. If anyone wants to take the knee it is OK by me.

I don't have any

2 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

I’ve no issue with BLM, Kick it out, rainbow laces etc getting a run out once a year. But every week forever more, seems vastly greater than the proportion of the problem for me 

I’m quite sure their is plenty of racism in the U.K. predominantly knuckle dragging idiots who have little or no significance in anything meaningful (I think kick it out has done a great job getting a lot of this out of football) 

my issue with BLM is that they seem to be saying that the racism issue goes beyond knuckle draggers and is ingrained in our system (systemic racism). That white people have an advantage with our system just based on skin colour. That’s where I take issue, the system broadly encompasses education, welfare, employment and healthcare. For me, ‘the system’ is a level playing field based on skin colour in this country 

A piece in the Times today saying that young men from certain parts of the country (old industrial rust belt towns) are at a major disadvantage financially to other young males who live in more affluent areas  like London (where 80% of the Black population live). I guess having multi millionaire sportsmen take the knee every week is a bit of a piss take if they are saying a white male from Barrow or Burnley is privileged when compared to a black lad from London 

If tgat makes me a Gammon then fair enough, I’ll wear that badge 

51 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I’ve no issue with BLM, Kick it out, rainbow laces etc getting a run out once a year. But every week forever more, seems vastly greater than the proportion of the problem for me 

I’m quite sure their is plenty of racism in the U.K. predominantly knuckle dragging idiots who have little or no significance in anything meaningful (I think kick it out has done a great job getting a lot of this out of football) 

my issue with BLM is that they seem to be saying that the racism issue goes beyond knuckle draggers and is ingrained in our system (systemic racism). That white people have an advantage with our system just based on skin colour. That’s where I take issue, the system broadly encompasses education, welfare, employment and healthcare. For me, ‘the system’ is a level playing field based on skin colour in this country 

A piece in the Times today saying that young men from certain parts of the country (old industrial rust belt towns) are at a major disadvantage financially to other young males who live in more affluent areas  like London (where 80% of the Black population live). I guess having multi millionaire sportsmen take the knee every week is a bit of a piss take if they are saying a white male from Barrow or Burnley is privileged when compared to a black lad from London 

Would you like a fried egg and some pineapple with that, sir?

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Get a number of the badges and go for the lady gaga look.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

If that makes me a Gammon then fair enough, I’ll wear that badge 

You're misunderstanding what is meant by 'White Privilege'. It isn't an attack on white people. It's just one more thing that makes life a bit more difficult for a non-white person in our society. It can be subtle, or it can be overt. As you rightly point out, people from poorer regions (Barrow or Burnley) face certain disadvantages in life that are impossible to define, but we know they exist. "White privilege" is just having one less disadvantage. It's nothing to be offended by.

Edited by Cheese

18 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You're misunderstanding what is meant by 'White Privilege'. It isn't an attack on white people. It's just one more thing that makes life a bit more difficult for a non-white person in our society. It can be subtle, or it can be overt. As you rightly point out, people from poorer regions (Barrow or Burnley) face certain disadvantages in life that are impossible to define, but we know they exist. "White privilege" is just having one less disadvantage. It's nothing to be offended by.

The theory that ‘white privileg’ is evident in all aspects of the system I fundamentally disagree with. Education, Healthcare, welfare - not a chance, it’s a level playing field for me. Justice, your back onto the stop and search stuff but then again that’s disproportionate as much against males and young people as it is against non whites (is our justice system sexist and ageist then?) 

I just don’t see why this cause needs supporting at sporting events every single week for ever more, completely out of proportion to the size of the issue for me. Do it once a year like a lot of the other stuff and I’m fine with it 

If we are going to protest about something every single week forever more then let it be something much more serious and substantial like climate change 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
Just now, birch-chorley said:

The theory that ‘white privileg’ is evident in all aspects of the system I fundamentally disagree with. Education, Healthcare, welfare - not a chance it’s a level playing field. Justice, your back onto the stop and search stuff but then again that’s disproportionate as much against males and young people as it is against non whites (is our justice system sexist and ageist then?) 

I just don’t see why this cause needs supporting at sporting events every single week for ever more, completely out of proportion to the size of the issue for me. Do it once a year like a lot of the other stuff and I’m fine with it 

If we are going to protest about something every single week forever more then let it be something much more serious and substantial like climate change 

But you say that as someone who hasn't lived as a non-white person in any of those systems.

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

But you say that as someone who hasn't lived as a non-white person in any of those systems.

Do you think our healthcare system, the NHS works better if your white? Surely not 

Welfare is the same for everyone, in fact the average black person gets more per head than a white person due to the fact 50% of the fathers are absent

Education? Black African kids perform better than white at GCSE, as do Chinese and Indian. Non white are more likely to go to Uni than white 

Struggling to see the disadvantage to be honest 

Ah, stop and searches 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

Do you think our healthcare system, the NHS works better if your white? Surely not 

Welfare is the same for everyone, in fact the average black person gets more per head than a white person due to the fact 50% of the fathers are absent

Education? Black African kids perform better than white at GCSE, as do Chinese and Indian. Non white are more likely to go to Uni than white 

Struggling to see the disadvantage to be honest 

Ah, stop and searches 

Can you share the sources for all these stats?

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

How very gammon of you 😁

Seriously though, do they get pulled over that much ? 

You could say people who drive fast cars like BMW, Audi, Merc etc .. get pulled over more than average Micra, Corsa or Yaris driver.

Gammmooonnnn

fuck knows if it’s that much danny rose was bleating he got picked on regularly

people get pulled for a reason not skin colour