Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Equality in sport

Rudy

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Morgan Freeman has it right also, by saying let's stop banging on about it.

Seriously when I watch Bolton play, do I see 4 black, 5 whites, 1 Chinese, 1 mixed race, ....NO, I see 11 players representing my team. When we score we dont say "a blackie scored", we say "Donaldson" (ah maybe not in his case, cos the fucker never scored), we say "Get in Okocha, get in there Bibby lad" , we don't even see colour, we see a Bolton Wanderers player.

We then discuss post-match, but we dont mention colour, just which player we think was motm, had a decent game, played well, looked shite etc....

Yep. So why do people try to keep massively overstating the issue. What's the agenda?

• Members
8 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Surely thats the main reason there are so few coloured coaches/managers in the game then rather than the Sol Campbells and John Barnes banging on about in equality

Yeah I’d say so. I think with more black players in the game you will start to see more coaches

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

So, they're not being overlooked on the basis of skin colour, they're just not applying as often as white people?

Honestly Traf, there are so little. Kick it out want to bring in the Rooney rule, where a BAME candidate HAS to be interviewed. They aren’t there to be interviewed. In all my courses I have done I would be the token black fella. 
If I went for a job at another club,  I would  be incredibly confident I would get it, that’s not me being big headed but because of my qualifications and CV. I seriously doubt anyone would look at my CV and someone else’s CV and go nah he’s black give it to someone less qualified who isn’t black. 

Anyways, my original point is footballers are taking the knee to show solidarity and they should be commended for their efforts.

32 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’ve been a coach for about 12 years now and I’ll be honest, black coaches aren’t about, I do interviews and honestly I think iv only had one black candidate.

I think you will start to see more BAME coaches , but IMO it’s not because they don’t get the opportunities they simply aren’t there

33 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Another browbeating attempt to force the woke agenda on to people.

The problem we have here is that the vocal minority thinks that the vast majority who don't wish to spend every waking hour taking about identity and hierarchies of victimhood must therefore be racists/sexists/transphobes and all the rest of it by default. 

It's not dissimilar to Stalinist Russia. You don't just have to support "the cause" as part of a monoculture that is intolerant of any other trains of thought. You have to keep proving your pure views by re-stating them endlessly and monotonously. Hectoring and lecturing. Piously claiming the moral high ground. Absolute certainty that anyone who doesn't virtue signal in the same manner is a heretic or pariah.

It's all very sinister. It often verges on the censorious. It is completely illiberal.

I'm glad to see plenty of people disagree with you. They are absolutely entitled to do so. Not only that but they've now got a pretty keen grip on the whole woke mentality.

Much like the people you despise, you don't have to view everything through the lens of the culture war. If you think Rudy's "woke" you haven't read enough of his posts.

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It's not dissimilar to Stalinist Russia.

Give your head a wobble. If you think players taking the knee for 5 seconds is simiiar to living in Stalinist Russia, there's definitely something wrong with you.

Just now, Cheese said:

Give your head a wobble. If you think players taking the knee for 5 seconds is simiiar to living in Stalinist Russia, there's definitely something wrong with you.

Well I never. It's good old Cheese holding court again. What a delight for a Monday morning. Still taking things out of context and getting the wrong end of the stick I see. Keep up the good work.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Take it elsewhere then, where you say it exists.

The fact it's got lots of white men foaming at the mouth and talking about turning their backs because they can't bare to see someone expressing their thoughts for 5 seconds before a match suggests they're making a very good point.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Seriously when I watch Bolton play, do I see 4 black, 5 whites, 1 Chinese, 1 mixed race, ....NO, I see 11 players representing my team. When we score we dont say "a blackie scored", we say "Donaldson" (ah maybe not in his case, cos the fucker never scored), we say "Get in Okocha, get in there Bibby lad" , we don't even see colour, we see a Bolton Wanderers player.

We then discuss post-match, but we dont mention colour, just which player we think was motm, had a decent game, played well, looked shite etc....

This. 

Rudy, dont disagree with much of what you say, but the business about a message and promoting debate is weak for me. 

A massive amount of work has gone into race relations over the decades, of course there'll always be goons that won't buy into it, and thankfully we have legal measures to help stop this and punish individuals. 

The overbearing coverage at the moment isn't reinforcing the message though. In fact its pissing people off and potentially creating more division.

I'd add that the greatest message is that players from all walks of life share the same goals equally on the pitch during a match. Nothing to divide them, all treated equally. Take that forward as the positive. 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I’ve been a coach for about 12 years now and I’ll be honest, black coaches aren’t about, I do interviews and honestly I think iv only had one black candidate.

I think you will start to see more BAME coaches , but IMO it’s not because they don’t get the opportunities they simply aren’t there

you must be a poster boy for the club at the moment given you are in such short supply. Have you asked if they would run an article about it ? 

• Members
8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This. 

Rudy, dont disagree with much of what you say, but the business about a message and promoting debate is weak for me. 

A massive amount of work has gone into race relations over the decades, of course there'll always be goons that won't buy into it, and thankfully we have legal measures to help stop this and punish individuals. 

The overbearing coverage at the moment isn't reinforcing the message though. In fact its pissing people off and potentially creating more division.

I'd add that the greatest message is that players from all walks of life share the same goals equally on the pitch during a match. Nothing to divide them, all treated equally. Take that forward as the positive. 

I totally get that, I get it’s a bit overkill.  I think the pot has bubbled and now it’s simmered and it’s now time to try and move forward. The message and symbol was great and that I think it will be a big step forward, but it does run the risk of ironically causing more division.

The point of people turning their back on players doing it is a bit weird and I don’t quite get that, I’m just glad football and sport has used it’s own platform to say Yknow what this has to stop.

• Members
1 minute ago, Big E said:

you must be a poster boy for the club at the moment given you are in such short supply. Have you asked if they would run an article about it ? 

I honestly couldn’t think of anything worse if I’m honest E, I wouldn’t like that level of spotlight on me, I’m happy to make my point on a forum, but I’d just prefer to sweep up and make the tea

• Moderators
13 hours ago, tkonion said:

I don't recall seeing a player booed for the colour of their skin in this country for a long, long time, when and where did you last witness it?

two spring to mind

TALKSPORT.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=10

skysports-21949284-7767483-image-a-4_157

it's not just about sport in the UK - some of these players get it when they play abroad and they've had enough

remember a guy calling in to radio 5 - he was a bulgarian who was ashamed of what their fans did when we played there

but he also pointed out that when he went to the game at wembley and were round the ground in their shirts, they got dogs abuse from england fans mostly around being gypos

and the knee thing, it's not just about sport

you'll also find a fair few videos on the tube showing folk thinking it's ok to racially abuse folk

it's a proble, here and globally

but most on here don't see it, because they aren't black

9 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

two spring to mind

TALKSPORT.jpg?strip=all&w=960&quality=10

skysports-21949284-7767483-image-a-4_157

it's not just about sport in the UK - some of these players get it when they play abroad and they've had enough

remember a guy calling in to radio 5 - he was a bulgarian who was ashamed of what their fans did when we played there

but he also pointed out that when he went to the game at wembley and were round the ground in their shirts, they got dogs abuse from england fans mostly around being gypos

and the knee thing, it's not just about sport

you'll also find a fair few videos on the tube showing folk thinking it's ok to racially abuse folk

it's a proble, here and globally

but most on here don't see it, because they aren't black

Just stop talking about it, Zico. Some on here have had enough about hearing about it. 🙄

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

I honestly couldn’t think of anything worse if I’m honest E, I wouldn’t like that level of spotlight on me, I’m happy to make my point on a forum, but I’d just prefer to sweep up and make the tea

fair enough. Seems a strange stance when given you position you have the platform to do so. 

• Members
50 minutes ago, Big E said:

fair enough. Seems a strange stance when given you position you have the platform to do so. 

Looking at setting up something to get more people involved with coaching regardless of ethnic background or gender. From grassroots to professionals

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

You are missing the point entirely. The fact you feel confident enough to air these ignorant views proves that footballers kneeling for 5 seconds is making a difference. Long may it continue. Nobody is forcing YOU to do anything. If you feel uncomfortable or annoyed that footballers are raising awareness of Racism in society, the footballers aren't the problem.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

and that's great, it's how it should be

but that doesn't mean those taking the knee have got it wrong, because, most importantly, it's not just about racism in football

so that's why I find it odd that folk would turn there back, or not let these guys have their 15 seconds taking a stand - no one should really be opposed to what they are saying

of course, the whole BLM thing has been taken to the next level by these extermist cranks, but you can just ignore them, they're irrelevant in resolving the core issues, in the same way the FLA and EDL weren't anything to do with resolving islamic extreism 

edit

thinking about it, this racism thing is like covid, just because you've not seen anyone affected by it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but there are plenty folk who think we should crack on as normal, despite the fact the evidence shows it's a big old problem

Edited by ZicoKelly

17 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

thinking about it, this racism thing is like covid, just because you've not seen anyone affected by it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but there are plenty folk who think we should crack on as normal, despite the fact the evidence shows it's a big old problem

What evidence do we have that it’s a big old problem? In this country at least 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

What evidence do we have that it’s a big old problem? In this country at least 

it was more a reference to covid, which is a big old problem

racism is older, but perhaps not as big right now

but

there's still an issue

look at the counter protests for a start

and the rise of figures like katie hopkins and tommy robinson

brexit uncovered a lot of ignorance

none of that is evidence, but, you see what you want to see and interpret it accordingly

we're not seeing lynchings or cops killing folk on a regular basis, but it doesn't mean there isn't a problem with it

I can see it's there, but not in my every day life

Edited by ZicoKelly