Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v forest green

radcliffe white

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Irrespective of whether the players are better or worse, the sum total is worse because of the system.  Last year we often had the outlet of Verlinden or Politic, to either create chances or just give us a bit of possession.  No outlet today, that was the biggest factor for me, not one period in the game where it felt like we had some control in the opposition half.

We also had Verlinden being a pro shithouse to win us free kicks etc. 

It's amazing how much that can help

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Irrespective of whether the players are better or worse, the sum total is worse because of the system.  Last year we often had the outlet of Verlinden or Politic, to either create chances or just give us a bit of possession.  No outlet today, that was the biggest factor for me, not one period in the game where it felt like we had some control in the opposition half.

Loved Verlinden, wish we could get him back on loan.

At home, we seem to have played like the away team for 3 years -

Under 3 different managers and with about 60 different players.

WTF?

4 minutes ago, superkev said:

Also I thought greenidge was supposed to be lightening quick. I could run faster than him with a dodgy back

Looked well short of match practice and got a knock was blowing out of is arse in second half so hopefully he is a lot quicker when he gets up to speed 

1 hour ago, Deanu said:

it's a major loss losing our only direct winger Politic. 

Its not a loss to this system as we dont play with wingers, yes I think he would have come on as sub instead of that young lad, but the game was virtually lost by then.  No place of Politic in this system.  For me the midfield would be Crawford or Politic behind the front 2,  Darcy behind with 2 of either White, Sarcevic or Tutte, whoever's in form at the time, with Comley nowhere near the team unless there are injuries.  All this about having a defensive midfielder is bollocks, they give away free kicks more times than they win the ball and their distribution and lack of creativity negates any positives they bring.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

A load of misery guts on t'internet. Hope nobody at the club reads the shite that's posted on here.

Well i do.

Is it acceptable that less than 10 years ago our opening fixtures were like playing arsenal, West Ham, aston villa , even stoke city and qpr.

And today we play forest green rovers???

I honestly thought that was maybe a leafy suburb of South London near Wimbledon maybe.   

I have been there through the darkest days, Darlington , Scarborough and neatly gave up.

Wrexham was a good day and our best till the last day that supa john put the ball in the preston net. Onwards & upwards after that but history has a bad habit of repeating itself, so sorry all you younger viewers, we got lucky, maybe you won't.

Strap yerselves in, fast riders on the outside, hold tight!!

4 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Well i do.

Is it acceptable that less than 10 years ago our opening fixtures were like playing arsenal, West Ham, aston villa , even stoke city and qpr.

And today we play forest green rovers???

I honestly thought that was maybe a leafy suburb of South London near Wimbledon maybe.   

It's not the fault of the current regime though, is it?

It’s early days but I’m expecting big big improvements over the next month, think we have enough in the tank to be top half minimum, Evatt needs to earn his corn, his first half 11 today’s was poor, leaving Crawford out was ridiculous, after seeing Tutte replace a piss poor Comley another faux par, the 2 wing backs not worthy of the name, change the system were not Man City, and static keeper needs fucking off, it ain’t difficult to see, open your eyes and act. 

That's the annoying thing Mounts.  Whether you've been in the game for 5 minutes or 30 years, you know Crawford is worth a place in that team.  So how can a professional manager not see it?  The 3 at the back is less blindingly obvious, but nevertheless he needs to wise up that the team he has doesnt suit it (that's to say the full backs arent wing backs). Its worrying but only if its still the same in a few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Not saying that but if you inherit a legend do you want to see it wither and die?  NO!

Thats like buying a a former supercar brand,, say lotus and saying well we accept the current environment so we gonna power the new model with pot purree and yankee candles, is that ok? Peachy, enjoy.

Today's performance in a word - lethargic.

• Sarcevic looked like he was running in treacle.
  • Centre backs looked uncertain defensively and when playing out from the back.
  • The midfield wasn't dynamic enough in linking up attack and defence. No idea how Crawford isn't starting over Comley or White.
  • Strikers had good chances in first half but didn't take them. Delfounso's poor touch and Doyle snatching at his chance.

Really disappointing overall and I hope to god we drop this 3-5-2 soon. Please prove me wrong Evatt but I just don't get it. Too many hopeful balls down the channel and not enough short/sharp passing in the middle, which isn't what I expected from an Evatt team. Would rather play 4-4-2 diamond - Comley DM, Sarcevic & White CM, and Crawford CAM.

Having said that, if Doyle scores that first half chance, or Greenidge puts that backpost header in, it would've boosted our confidence and we probably would've come into our own more.

I take on board what Evatt says about goals changing games and can fully empathise with "looking good in training" but not brining it into a real game. That competitive edge changes everything.

Not the time to panic now or judge too harshly but if we're not seeing major improvements after 9 or 10 games then we've really got to look at the recruitment.

8 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Not saying that but if you inherit a legend do you want to see it wither and die?  NO!

Thats like buying a a former supercar brand,, say lotus and saying well we accept the current environment so we gonna power the new model with pot purree and yankee candles, is that ok? Peachy, enjoy.

I don't get it. The best way for us to get out of this league is to knickle down and work hard. We need to drop the superiority complex.

Just now, Mantra said:

Today's performance in a word - lethargic.

• Sarcevic looked like he was running in treacle.
  • Centre backs looked uncertain defensively and when playing out from the back.
  • The midfield wasn't dynamic enough in linking up attack and defence. No idea how Crawford isn't starting over Comley or White.
  • Strikers had good chances in first half but didn't take them. Delfounso's poor touch and Doyle snatching at his chance.

Really disappointing overall and I hope to god we drop this 3-5-2 soon. Please prove me wrong Evatt but I just don't get it. Too many hopeful balls down the channel and not enough short/sharp passing in the middle, which isn't what I expected from an Evatt team. Would rather play 4-4-2 diamond - Comley DM, Sarcevic & White CM, and Crawford CAM.

Having said that, if Doyle scores that first half chance, or Greenidge puts that backpost header in, it would've boosted our confidence and we probably would've come into our own more.

I take on board what Evatt says about goals changing games and can fully empathise with "looking good in training" but not brining it into a real game. That competitive edge changes everything.

Not the time to panic now or judge too harshly but if we're not seeing major improvements after 9 or 10 games then we've really got to look at the recruitment.

I wouldn't change the shape. If he does then it'll make him look stupid.

We just need to move the ball much more quickly. I can see what he's trying to do.

• Site Supporter

Right. I've calmed down, my heart rate is back to what passes for normal for a 66 year old Bolton fan.

By Christ that was bad, but if Crawford starts next match, and IE can get a bit of confidence in the rest of them we might be able to put it all behind us.

Positives, we're not bottom and we're 12 points better off than we were this time last season.

FGR didn't look like scoring until that free kick, and that was the only shot I remember.

The lack of ball people helped them slow the game down, and it will be a lot livelier when we can get back in.

It was still shite, mind.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The ‘current regime’ are not the club. They are, however, the current custodians. If 40, 30, 20, 10 years ago there were plaudits aplenty for great opening day wins, or there were brickbats for opening day defeats, they were for the club, not the custodian.

if the club historically accepts those plaudits, you’d better be sure they can’t also accept the shitstorm coming their way after this inept performance.

31 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s early days but I’m expecting big big improvements over the next month, think we have enough in the tank to be top half minimum, Evatt needs to earn his corn, his first half 11 today’s was poor, leaving Crawford out was ridiculous, after seeing Tutte replace a piss poor Comley another faux par, the 2 wing backs not worthy of the name, change the system were not Man City, and static keeper needs fucking off, it ain’t difficult to see, open your eyes and act. 

Bit harsh on the keeper. He’s been one of the better performers in these games

9 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I wouldn't change the shape. If he does then it'll make him look stupid.

We just need to move the ball much more quickly. I can see what he's trying to do.

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

One thought. He’s brought in 4 Players who are in essence wing backs. He ain’t dropping 3-5-2 so let’s get used to that idea.

Aye, I can't see us changing it anytime soon for these reasons but I'm personally not a fan of it, especially after seeing it today. We need to get the most out of our best players, which on paper are probably Delfounso, Doyle, Crawford and Sarcevic and the wingback system relies heavily on Gordon and Jones and even our CBs to create things.

Surely our wingbacks could play the role of a fullback or a winger though if we do switch systems, otherwise we've just penned ourselves into only playing wingback systems which just seems stupid to me.