Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v forest green

radcliffe white

13 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d prefer an experienced ex premier league keeper organising my defensive line, we are conceding to many goals that can’t go on and that bit of experience might make all the difference. 

You also said yesterday he should change to 4-4-2. He’s come in with a plan and to try and change the mentality. Whether we have the players and whether it comes good we will see. But after one half of league football asking for 4-4-2 when I believe he has never played that before is not going to happen. We’ve gone for a fresh approach with a young manager. I suppose in your eyes we should have gone for mick McCarthy or warnock and just lumped it forward. Yesterday was crap I’ll give you that but I’ve had enough of those shit dinosaur managers that just defend and play percentage football. I’ve seen enough from the Bradford and Crewe games to see what he’s trying to do and am prepared to give it more that one bloody league game ffs

Edited by superkev

17 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d prefer an experienced ex premier league keeper organising my defensive line, we are conceding to many goals that can’t go on and that bit of experience might make all the difference. 

We're conceding too many goals because we're getting turned inside out too easily and because too many of our defensive line are in the opposition half when it happens. 

Crellin is fine.

7 minutes ago, superkev said:

You also said yesterday he should change to 4-4-2. He’s come in with a plan and to try and change the mentality. Whether we have the players and whether it comes good we will see. But after one half of league football asking for 4-4-2 when I believe he has never played that before is not going to happen. We’ve gone for a fresh approach with a young manager. I suppose in your eyes we should have gone for mick McCarthy or warnock and just lumped it forward. Yesterday was crap I’ll give you that but I’ve had enough of those shit dinosaur managers that just defend and play percentage football. I’ve seen enough from the Bradford and Crewe games to see what he’s trying to do and am prepared to give it more that one bloody league game ffs

Playing 4-4-2 doesn't have to mean we judt lump it forward. It's a different formation, that's all.

That’s what a lot of teams in this league do. He said he’s come in with a philosophy to change the mentality and play a passing, pressing game with wing backs etc. I presume he isn’t going to change that because we’ve lost a few games. Like I said I saw enough in the cup games to see some sort of plan, but admit yesterday was shit. The goalkeeper certainly doesn’t seem to be the problem for me. Admittedly if we are bottom of the league after ten games then maybe you could call him out, but it’s been one league game and the shit on Twitter to sarcevic does suggest an over reaction 

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Footballers ( or any other sportspersons) have to take the rough with smooth when using social media can’t pick & choose 

A sportsman on Twitter is stroking his ego when the going is good. To leave Twitter when the going gets tough is a bit cissy. I’d prefer him to ignore but know it’s there; use the negatives to spur on an improvement so that the ego stroking starts again.

3 minutes ago, superkev said:

That’s what a lot of teams in this league do. He said he’s come in with a philosophy to change the mentality and play a passing, pressing game with wing backs etc. I presume he isn’t going to change that because we’ve lost a few games. Like I said I saw enough in the cup games to see some sort of plan, but admit yesterday was shit. The goalkeeper certainly doesn’t seem to be the problem for me. Admittedly if we are bottom of the league after ten games then maybe you could call him out, but it’s been one league game and the shit on Twitter to sarcevic does suggest an over reaction 

I think you'd be surprised how few teams play 4-4-2 and hoof it in this league. 

I agree about the overreaction on Twitter though. There's a lot of bellends on that hashtag.

7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think you'd be surprised how few teams play 4-4-2 and hoof it in this league. 

I agree about the overreaction on Twitter though. There's a lot of bellends on that hashtag.

Ok maybe not hoof it but every side we have played has had a unit up front that they regularly play to. Maybe Evatt has one of those in the pipeline

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Footballers ( or any other sportspersons) have to take the rough with smooth when using social media can’t pick & choose 

Indeed. At times some of the posts are hideous, but looking at those gonzo put up, its hardly crime of the century. Maybe some were far worse i don't know.

Twitter etc can all go to fuckery though for me.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Fare shout Byro, but if your good enough your old enough in my book

12 hours ago, Cheese said:

How are you going to implement that then? Are you going to send a letter to Ian Evatt?

Not sure what you mean here, you asked how I intend to change things so assumed you wanted my suggestion on how how I would improve it.  Its just discussion/opinions, that's mine FWIW, but its upto to IE to do it his way and if there's enough improvement to win some games I'll happily say 3-5-2 etc is the right way to go for this squad.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Is that polite for stubborn? :)

He's not unique though, all managers will have an idea of how they want to play. If its not working do they stick with it until (if) it does or try something else.

My biggest concerns on yesterday's performance wasn't the system- he can try any formation and it won't work- if players can't pass it quickly and accurately a matter of a few feet then we've got a problem.

The players looked shot and devoid of confidence.

We have to give it more than 1 league game though surely? :)

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure what you mean here, you asked how I intend to change things so assumed you wanted my suggestion on how how I would improve it. 

No, I was asking you how you were actually going to change things, because you said to me:

12 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If you think that's going to change just by hoping for the best, fine

Which I obviously don't, because I don't believe in magical powers.

2 hours ago, superkev said:

People certainly have got carried away thinking we will piss the league with a new manager and some non league players, which I guess is why many are upset

I think it was more the big signings like Savacic and Doyle given their pedigree last season 

Doyle’s apparently on £5k a week so budgets aren’t an issue this season as we’ve got one of the biggest if not the biggest 

It’s down to Evatt and this DOF fella to spend the money wisely and get a team out that can beat the likes of Forest Green, Bradford and Crewe at home 

It’s early days, here’s hoping it comes together, but let’s not start making excuses about the personnel we have at our disposal 

36 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I think it was more the big signings like Savacic and Doyle given their pedigree last season 

Doyle’s apparently on £5k a week so budgets aren’t an issue this season as we’ve got one of the biggest if not the biggest 

It’s down to Evatt and this DOF fella to spend the money wisely and get a team out that can beat the likes of Forest Green, Bradford and Crewe at home 

It’s early days, here’s hoping it comes together, but let’s not start making excuses about the personnel we have at our disposal 

The question I keep asking myself is whether or not there was a promotion-winning sqaud available for us to sign from the free agents this summer. We will obviously find out in time, but one thing other clubs have in their favour is they've been able to shape their squads over a few seasons.