Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v forest green

radcliffe white

35 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Glad it's not just me who thinks this. Been anonymous in every game bar his goal.

Had our only shot on target if we're being positive (1st half, keeper a bit lucky to save it), and same as Doyle its clear he's got a scoring track record.  Did virtually nothing else, looked laboured compared to their midfield and then our 2 subs. But there's zero chance of him being dropped, captain and main man. 

24 minutes ago, desperado said:

As a one off performance I can’t disagree with any of the negative comments being made; Players not living up to their billings, looking tactically naive, no defensive gelling what-so-ever, combinations of players  in defence/midfield/attack not seeming to connect together.

The early confident start soon turned into 70-80 minutes of a side lacking the know-how and experience of getting a stronghold back into the game, there was only the odd glimpse.

But it’s these odd glimpses that I’m going to hold onto as positives. Those are comments and observations of ONE LEAGUE GAME. (Yes you could count the cup games, but  for me they were just an extension of pre-season for a side that are so fresh in coming together for the first time)  

All the above, to me, are understandable to a side that haven’t played together. Let’s not forget that these players haven’t played competitive football together. You can’t replicate a competitive league game in training and it’s only more games that are going to allow IE to address the major concerns; right personnel on the field, playing the possession game effectively, gelling the players together particularly at the back.

Yes criticise today, but don’t right-off the manager, players and system and make irreversible and definitive judgements after one game. 

Yes there will be over reactions after our 3 convincing home defeats, but its difficult to see the evidence of 3 games and not jump to conclusions.  If you had a player on trial and he played 3 games and was poor in all 3, you wouldn't have any hesitation in turning him down.  Can anyone seriously say Santos and Comley are good enough?  Or either of our so called wing backs? (I feel for them being asked to do a job they cant do, let them just stick to being full backs).  Those things arent going to go away, they are here to stay and they arent upto it, either in style of play or execution.  Its not about whether these players improve - they wont - its whether IE has the balls to admit his errors.

47 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Thing is, I don’t think anyone thought it would be the finished article, and I’m sure it will improve, but fuck me there wasn’t one thing in there that showed what we are heading towards.

I hate 5 at the back, it only works if you have very good wingbacks and from what I’ve seen of the 2 that played today we haven’t!

A back 4 with Hickman at right back, 2 in midfield (White and Comley/Tutte) with 3 (Crawford, Sarcevic and Darcy/Delfounso) behind Doyle seems a far better set up to me.

Granted I’m pissed off after watching that shite so it’s probably a bit knee jerk to write his system off already.

Yeah, I don't understand all this fancy football formations, even a bog standard 442 formation should be fine for us in League 2, especially with Delfounso and Doyle up top. Burnley have done just fine playing the same system in the Premiership for a few years now.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes there will be over reactions after our 3 convincing home defeats, but its difficult to see the evidence of 3 games and not jump to conclusions.  If you had a player on trial and he played 3 games and was poor in all 3, you wouldn't have any hesitation in turning him down.  Can anyone seriously say Santos and Comley are good enough?  Or either of our so called wing backs? (I feel for them being asked to do a job they cant do, let them just stick to being full backs).  Those things arent going to go away, they are here to stay and they arent upto it, either in style of play or execution.  Its not about whether these players improve - they wont - its whether IE has the balls to admit his errors.

It’s those comments for me that are are completely reactionary after ONE GAME

A job they can’t do - They aren’t up to it- They won’t improve 

Absolute lunacy to be making those definitive judgements after one league game.

Yes today wasn’t good - doesn’t mean it will be like that for the rest of the season 

46 minutes ago, desperado said:

As a one off performance I can’t disagree with any of the negative comments being made; Players not living up to their billings, looking tactically naive, no defensive gelling what-so-ever, combinations of players  in defence/midfield/attack not seeming to connect together.

The early confident start soon turned into 70-80 minutes of a side lacking the know-how and experience of getting a stronghold back into the game, there was only the odd glimpse.

But it’s these odd glimpses that I’m going to hold onto as positives. Those are comments and observations of ONE LEAGUE GAME. (Yes you could count the cup games, but  for me they were just an extension of pre-season for a side that are so fresh in coming together for the first time)  

All the above, to me, are understandable to a side that haven’t played together. Let’s not forget that these players haven’t played competitive football together. You can’t replicate a competitive league game in training and it’s only more games that are going to allow IE to address the major concerns; right personnel on the field, playing the possession game effectively, gelling the players together particularly at the back.

Yes criticise today, but don’t right-off the manager, players and system and make irreversible and definitive judgements after one game. 

Spot on

Disappointingly, Sarcevic looks well off it. I don't know if it's the role he's playing or the occasion is too big for him but he hasn't settled yet. 

I don't want to abandon the 3-5-2 yet, I think it can work, we're just trying to run before we can walk with it. 

Next week I'd like to see - 

Crellin

Brockbank, Delaney, Taft

Hickman, Tutte, White, Gordon

Crawford

Delfouneso, Doyle

Midfield has a bit more movement and energy to it, should show for the ball quicker and earlier and be able to support in more areas of the pitch. Gordon needs to be given more confidence, he's quick, strong and direct. He'd cause teams lots of problems if he just drove at them.

Jones isn't bad, just steady, need more attacking intent and by all accounts Hickman offers that. 

Crawford is key though, if he's not there we simply don't create anything and Doyle gets starved. 

I also wouldn't mind Zouma back after seeing some of the defending on display, he's miles better than Santos. Also, does anyone have a number Greenidge's agent? Reckon he could get me a gig at Championship level based on the absolute swindling he's done to get Greenidge a job here. 

52 minutes ago, Cheese said:

A "winning mentality" isn't saying "we're shite and we've got no chance" after losing ONE League game.

evatt  saying in is interview about getting rid of the clubs loosing mentality. Well changing the manager the  owners the whole coaching staff the whole playing staff and playing without  the fans 
May be a exorcism will work  we’re running out of options 

Parked up at Redditch United going to watch my grandson play for the under 19’s. Still numb after that awful performance and having seen them against Bradford and today I can’t see us doing anything apart from fighting to stay up with this squad. Just hope I am wrong but at least I will see some good football tonight

15 minutes ago, desperado said:

It’s those comments for me that are are completely reactionary after ONE GAME

A job they can’t do - They aren’t up to it- They won’t improve 

Absolute lunacy to be making those definitive judgements after one league game.

Yes today wasn’t good - doesn’t mean it will be like that for the rest of the season 

The concern I have is the centre backs don't look like they have the composure nor ball control to play out from the back successfully. Its been the same in 3 games. You can't teach players this in a few training sessions. Wouldnt surprise me if he  changes it up at the back.

That was like having a Root Canal treatment, Really bad 

3 competitive home fixtures against teams we expect to be in the mix with and 3 poor performances/ results. Needs to improve and quick 

We've got a decent budget for the level we are at, some good players for the division and we’ve had a reasonable amount of time to organise them 

No excuses this season 

3-4-1-2 the wing backs are genuinely useless for us forcing Delf & Doyle to drift wide leaving nobody in the centre. John Rooney was the main guy at Barrow in the hole behind the front two yet Sarce has been anonymous three games straight. The lack of pace & width is the main concern as without that it's ridiculously slow & lethargic no ideas. It doesn't matter who plays back three as they're all slow & can't control a simple ball whilst misplacing square three yard passes. I'll keep saying it if three at the back I want  Jones on the right of the three he's safe but useless going forward yet keeping a wing back in Hickman out who put more crosses in 60 mins than Jones & Gordon have in three matches. 3-4-3. Time to see Mascoll too Gordon doesn't even believe that hes capable of league 2 level. Sarce needs to drop deeper & be the steel opposed to the guile he's probably better breaking things up than being on the ball. White or Tutte alongside him as Comley hasn't provided anything yet he's looked lightweight for a supposed holding midfielde. The attack we need a solution to stop Doyle drifting wide maybe have Delf operate the Auba role, Doyle Centre which would mean Crawford/Miller operating right wing it's a major loss losing our only direct winger Politic. 

Edited by Deanu

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

The concern I have is the centre backs don't look like they have the composure nor ball control to play out from the back successfully. Its been the same in 3 games. You can't teach players this in a few training sessions. Wouldnt surprise me if he  changes it up at the back.

He’s not stopped trying to change it up:

He went Santos- Baptiste- Taft.  to  Brockbank- Delaney - Taft to Santos- Baptiste - Greenidge

He needs time to work out his best combination