Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Back int ground

stevieb

Couple of in-laws went to Middlesbrough match Saturday, said it felt safe and was very well organised. I suppose we'll find out how safe over the next week or so. I've been to a few non league matches and social distancing is non existent, rained one match and people were packed under the only standing roof. Doesn't feel safe to be honest but then no one seems to have got it from there yet so must be fairly safe I suppose hard to know.

2 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Couple of in-laws went to Middlesbrough match Saturday, said it felt safe and was very well organised. I suppose we'll find out how safe over the next week or so. I've been to a few non league matches and social distancing is non existent, rained one match and people were packed under the only standing roof. Doesn't feel safe to be honest but then no one seems to have got it from there yet so must be fairly safe I suppose hard to know.

If everyone was packed into one stand that's disregarding what each club agreed to when fans were first allowed back in.  Every club has to have a designated person responsible for ensuring restrictions are adhered to, and with only 3 or 400 people there it cant be that difficult to get them not to be packed together.  I've been to 3 games, admittedly only about 150 on at each, but there's more social distancing than in Tescos or walking around Southport or Rivington on a nice day.  I would just ask that live sport is treated like other forms of social gathering.  (And seems ridiculous that a ground the size of Middlesbro was restricted to having only double the number of fans that Atherton LR were allowed). 

I can only say what I've found there's 300 every week at matches I've been too and people are stood next to each other for three sides of the ground then one end is pretty much empty, theres only two small stands, the 100 seater stand has people socially distanced and besides when it rained theres slightly less in the terraced stand then usual (not socially distanced) but most spectators are just leaning on the fence round the pitch, my mates been to watch local non league near him down south and says the same unfortunately. On Saturday they made people gel there hands going in which was something I suppose. I've managed to socially distance but I end up moving a few times as people come and stand directly next to you if you find space at the start of the match. 

58 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

I can only say what I've found there's 300 every week at matches I've been too and people are stood next to each other for three sides of the ground then one end is pretty much empty, theres only two small stands, the 100 seater stand has people socially distanced and besides when it rained theres slightly less in the terraced stand then usual (not socially distanced) but most spectators are just leaning on the fence round the pitch, my mates been to watch local non league near him down south and says the same unfortunately. On Saturday they made people gel there hands going in which was something I suppose. I've managed to socially distance but I end up moving a few times as people come and stand directly next to you if you find space at the start of the match. 

I must say reading this it makes Colls look like they've worked wonders with the one way system that they've put in. 405 there on Saturday and everyone spread round the ground quite easily (albeit probably helped by the proportion of away fans). One way system in the clubhouse, separate entrance/exit for the outside bar. Seems a big step up compared to some of the stories I'm reading. Going to Grantham on Saturday so it will be interesting to see how attitudes differ.

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I must say reading this it makes Colls look like they've worked wonders with the one way system that they've put in. 405 there on Saturday and everyone spread round the ground quite easily (albeit probably helped by the proportion of away fans). One way system in the clubhouse, separate entrance/exit for the outside bar. Seems a big step up compared to some of the stories I'm reading. Going to Grantham on Saturday so it will be interesting to see how attitudes differ.

Yeah that sounds great, I've not been impressed with the team I watch, I will say they've got the clubhouse sorted really well with one way systems and socially distanced seating, once you're in the ground though its disappointing. Public use the ground during the week and theres mobile nets on the side of the pitch that haven't even been moved so they block some of the view pushing people closer together, yet they move them for big matches usually. It's weird because usually they're shit hot on stuff and averaged around 500 last season. I know a couple of blokes up here who support other teams, one said they all stand in the corner near the bar and rest of the ground is empty, other said that they're fine accept it rained one match and they all packed out the stand.

3 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

Yeah that sounds great, I've not been impressed with the team I watch, I will say they've got the clubhouse sorted really well with one way systems and socially distanced seating, once you're in the ground though its disappointing. Public use the ground during the week and theres mobile nets on the side of the pitch that haven't even been moved so they block some of the view pushing people closer together, yet they move them for big matches usually. It's weird because usually they're shit hot on stuff and averaged around 500 last season. I know a couple of blokes up here who support other teams, one said they all stand in the corner near the bar and rest of the ground is empty, other said that they're fine accept it rained one match and they all packed out the stand.

It's the prospect of it pissing down at Colls that will probably make the difference, albeit there are two new areas of cover compared to last season which will help.

• Moderators

It's fucked up that 250 can head over here from Scarborough when their home games (and Whitby) are behind closed doors because of Covid. Why you'd want to come to one of the country's hotspots is fucking beyond me, but no one has put any restrictions on travel.

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Disappointingly no FA Cup action tomorrow for Colls with Bamber Bridge cancelling the match due to Covid.  Colls get £2,250 prize money which might make up for loss of gate receipts.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

It's fucked up that 250 can head over here from Scarborough when their home games (and Whitby) are behind closed doors because of Covid. Why you'd want to come to one of the country's hotspots is fucking beyond me, but no one has put any restrictions on travel.

I’d say it’s much weirder that those two are being made to play behind closed doors yet thousands are allowed to pour in to their towns all weekend. 

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’d say it’s much weirder that those two are being made to play behind closed doors yet thousands are allowed to pour in to their towns all weekend. 

Like Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc etc you mean? What’s weird about the current ban of people inside football stadia?

or are these two clubs at the necessary lower level to allow fans in is that what you mean?

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Like Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc etc you mean? What’s weird about the current ban of people inside football stadia?

or are these two clubs at the necessary lower level to allow fans in is that what you mean?

Guinea pigs?

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

They’re both at a level where fans are allowed. So Scarborough fans were allowed to travel to Atherton to watch the game on Saturday but then can’t watch their game at home tomorrow night. Even more so when it isn’t a ruling from Government or the league/FA and instead imposed by their local council who are more than happy for crowds to gather on the respective seafronts all weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They’re both at a level where fans are allowed. So Scarborough fans were allowed to travel to Atherton to watch the game on Saturday but then can’t watch their game at home tomorrow night. Even more so when it isn’t a ruling from Government or the league/FA and instead imposed by their local council who are more than happy for crowds to gather on the respective seafronts all weekend. 

Thanks for that Matt. Does seem odd. Do the grounds not lend themselves to distancing perhaps? Otherwise seems very odd like you say. 

but I think shortly there will be no crowds gathering on no seafronts anywhere anyway. 

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Spider said:

No surprise, but no spectators at football until November at the earliest.

We all know it will be new year realistically.

dogshit

Think we'll be lucky to get in this season TBH

Happy with that Ifollow for now

6 minutes ago, stevieb said:

How many season ticket holders (at all clubs) are gonna want refunds if Ifollow is until the end of the season? 

Most probably expected 2 games tops before being allowed in. 

There's going to be a proper shit storm brewing 

I just took a look at the FAQs from when our STs were announced as I thought I'd seen a caveat regarding refunds not being applicable at all this season, but it actually only mentions fixtures in September not being refundable.

There may be some more detailed T&C that I havent seen but if we get into October, November and beyond with no open stadium then we might be well back into the club (and other clubs) relying on their fans' charity again.