Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Back int ground

stevieb

5 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

I've not looked at it but aren't germany letting something like 5 or 10 thousand into grounds and France is letting fans in as well. I wouldn't have thought it was possible but germans seem pretty on top of most things.

France is capped at 5,000 and Germany had 4,600-9,300 (10%-25% capacity) at the weekend. Bit of an article here.

4 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Without significant financial aid the football league as we know it is absolutely fucked. 

Wigan would be the tip of the iceberg. 

Palios was saying earlier on that there will be a lot of clubs that will be able to manage in the short term, by kicking the can down the road, not paying creditors for a bit - he was saying they wouldnt make a penny if they let 1K fans in anyway, would just cover operating costs - but those with massive wage bills will be in serious danger.

Edited by peelyfeet

Just now, stevieb said:

Without significant financial aid the football league as we know it is absolutely fucked. 

Wigan would be the tip of the iceberg. 

I cant see it being anything other than a huge financial package with some sort of repayment scheme in the future maybe. It cant be anything else, without that then loads of clubs are going to the wall.

Unless we go to the football equivalent of Facebook Karen and think "they" will see this as a great opportunity to cut a lot of loss making chaff out of the game.

5 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Palios was saying earlier on that there will be a lot of clubs that will be able to manage in the short term, by kicking the can down the road, not paying creditors for a bit - he was saying they wouldnt make a penny if they let 1K fans in anyway, would just cover operating costs - but those with massive wage bills will be in serious danger.

The key to the 1,000 (or previous 2,500) was to open the possibility of getting back to a decent level though.

Wouldn't surprise me if the announcement comes out that clubs are allowed 1,000 but it stays at that limit for the next 6 months and then the clubs get the flak for choosing to go for the cost effective option of playing behind closed doors.

An incredible amount of work has gone in to assessing the stadiums - far more than hospitality venues, I'd suggest - and it's a scandal that this is being completely disregarded. 

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

I don't honestly see how leagues 1 & 2 can do a full season without fans.

Seems far fetched, but wouldn't be surprised if they scrap it at some point.

ifollow won't keep the lights on.

I wonder if last seasons experience has led to more clarity being written into the different leagues' laws about if, when and how seasons can be prematurely ended

• Members
1 minute ago, Traf said:

How would that help them?

Lessen operating costs.

All 20 pl league should be contributing into emergency relief pot to stop clubs going bust in unprecedented times. Even if it’s just a loan to get the payments back over the next ten years. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Lessen operating costs.

All 20 pl league should be contributing into emergency relief pot to stop clubs going bust in unprecedented times. Even if it’s just a loan to get the payments back over the next ten years. 

I agree

As soon as Wigan fold, that's what should happen

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Lessen operating costs.

Or maybe, just maybe, football pulls its finger out and settles on a fairer distribution of the income.

Clubs are facing extinction over debts amounting to less than a month's wages for a PL player.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Traf said:

Or maybe, just maybe, football pulls its finger out and settles on a fairer distribution of the income.

Clubs are facing extinction over debts amounting to less than a month's wages for a PL player.

That’s not happening any time soon. Would imagine with the eye watering wage bills some of the prem clubs have, giving some money away, whilst fans not in, would put the willies up em.

Reckon Rishi is going to come up with something, though wouldn't imagine it to be a massive hand out.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Traf said:

I totally agree. It was inevitable when the PL formed as a separate entity it would be a case of pull the ladder up Jack and sod the rest 

It’s a real real shame that every PL club could operate and probably make a comfortable profit for an entire season behind closed doors, and lower leagues might not see Christmas  

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I totally agree. It was inevitable when the PL formed as a separate entity it would be a case of pull the ladder up Jack and sod the rest 

It’s a real real shame that every PL club could operate and probably make a comfortable profit for an entire season behind closed doors, and lower leagues might not see Christmas  

Are you sure they all could?

Some will have transfer money to pay from previous deals etc

Can't see a benevolent fund suddenly appearing.