Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Back int ground

stevieb

1 hour ago, Marc505 said:

It's full of expressions that really sum things up for me.

"Last weekend it was possible to watch live Premier League football from midday to 10pm, all of it basically the same homogenised, unceasing, geographically nonspecific substance."

And that is so true. These games we are watching right now for me are just "A Team v A Team at A Stadium". Could be any match, anywhere and apart from a few star players here and there, any team. Theres no unique flavour to a match without a crowd or away end.

The longer this goes on, the more normalised it becomes. They say football without fans is nothing but apart from people who physically go to matches and travel about, who actually believes that anymore? For many, as long as theres a match on telly, bets are running, fantasy team is ticking over, twitter is updating, and crowd noise is on, who gives a fuck?

Very true, its mind numbing.  But I disagree that things are becoming normal.  I'm in a fantasy league, also one where we predict weekly results, and I like a bet on the fixed odds. Many of us have commented about how we are just going through the motions, its lost its spark.  If anything this period without fans has confirmed that its not about the football or the results, its about the passion and spark created by having a crowd, so the return to normality should bring with it even more appreciation of what fans bring to the game than pre-Covid.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Kane57 said:

Maybe they could do that and then have the draw done (in virtual secrecy) on BoltonFM (but keep the names of the winners top secret)

To be fair, I think even doing the draw on Bolton FM with full listenership would qualify as ‘in secret’.

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Think the losses will be narrower though, the Business rates waiver is a massive one, think we were paying something like £1.5m a year - I bet we don’t make much more than that selling 8k season tickets 

Fag packet maths suggests you're about right.

Bums on seats averages out at around the £8.25 mark.
8,000 x 8.25 = £66,000 per game
23 x £66,000 = £1.518m

7 hours ago, Traf said:

Fag packet maths suggests you're about right.

Bums on seats averages out at around the £8.25 mark.
8,000 x 8.25 = £66,000 per game
23 x £66,000 = £1.518m

Doesn’t bode well for next year then, we will need to sell 8k season tickets just to pay the Business rates, potentially another waiver but I doubt the treasury can stretch to it 

Really need to get out of League 2 at the first time of asking 

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Doesn’t bode well for next year then, we will need to sell 8k season tickets just to pay the Business rates, potentially another waiver but I doubt the treasury can stretch to it 

Really need to get out of League 2 at the first time of asking 

I can't see a 4th division club paying the £1.5 million rates they used to pay in the Premier League.Surely Ken or Sharon will have got that reduced to a more realistic level

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Im pretty sure Kenneth did.

aye, recall him saying it was ridiculous we paid Bolton council the same amount we did when we were in the PL

he either sorted it, or just didn't pay

• Moderators

this is what I recalled, doesn't go into the finer points of it though

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17424522.bolton-wanderers-owe-1m-business-rates-bolton-council/

Business rates bills are sent out by the council at the end of February and are calculated according to a ‘rateable value’ which is based on a domestic or commercial building’s size and location.

Ken Anderson and his board advisor Paul Aldridge met with council chiefs in January 2017 in an attempt to reduce the rates, which he claims were established when the team was still playing in the Premier League.

He said at the time: “Paul Aldridge and I had a meeting last week with Cllr (Cliff) Morris and Margaret Asquith at Bolton Council to see if anything can be done to help us with the very high level of rates that the club and hotel are paying whereas other nearby clubs and hotels/businesses are paying a fraction of this.

"Unfortunately, this is because of an ambiguity of the rates system and we are still being rated as a Premier League club.

“The council are being very supportive and hopefully a solution will be achieved, which would go a long way to helping us achieve a financially sustainable base.”

in any case, it looks like he never bothered paying them

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Interesting idea.

Not sure if it has to be with food, but that's not a problem really. 

How much do you charge

would think running costs wouldn’t make it viable tbh it’s ok if you live close but folk ain’t going to drive up to watch ifollow on a big screen

just read it can’t be done as you can’t use ifollow for commercial or business purposes 

Edited by radcliffe white

1 hour ago, marple whites said:

Can’t really see any other options than-

- paid for away game passes

- money off next season

- voucher for the shop

- money back (least likely)

They could tap up some illustrious ex players for some memorabilia. Signed and mounted locks of Campo's hair, some mud scrapings off JJ's boot that he used to score the free kick goal against Villa, a blood-splattered shirt from Gerry_McElhinney, a Polish sausage signed by Taddy. That kind of thing.

25 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

A couple of the National League clubs were planning on doing that but have been knocked back. 

Why though. 

If it wasn't 1 Ifollow pass and we all paid £5 in and the EFL benefited... 

Can't have no fans all season. Every club is going to be fucked. We'll do better than most but a lot of clubs will have people shopping for cushions every Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Why though. 

If it wasn't 1 Ifollow pass and we all paid £5 in and the EFL benefited... 

Can't have no fans all season. Every club is going to be fucked. We'll do better than most but a lot of clubs will have people shopping for cushions every Saturday. 

They haven’t given a particular reason other than the National League asked them to cancel the event. 

Seems they’re still allowed to show away games in their clubhouse, but it’s debatable as to how successful that would be in our situation.  

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

They haven’t given a particular reason other than the National League asked them to cancel the event. 

Seems they’re still allowed to show away games in their clubhouse, but it’s debatable as to how successful that would be in our situation.  

Hotel 

Jobs a gooden 

5 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Hotel 

Jobs a gooden 

Get the fan zone or lov or whatever open with Ifollow on 6 to a table. 2m distance with table service. 

I'm desperate to give you £4.40 for a piss poor pint of coors!