Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Back int ground

stevieb

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

FA Cup draw tomoz, Conf North teams who aren't playing as they are "elite sport" are in it. Potentially Colls draw Chorley but at theirs it's behind closed doors or at ours there's 600 on.

Might not be quite as clear cut as that. There has been a joint statement that points out that the Conf North players have contracts that only begin with the "commencement of the season", something that an FA Cup game would trigger, regardless of the lack of league games. So they might end up ducking out en masse rather than risk being saddled to contracts. They'd only be missing out on prize money after all given the carrot of a big away tie has been removed.

2 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

I don't agree with them begging for taxpayers money.

Clubs had 6 years with no league football during the war and none were liquidated.

If players wages are the problem sack them all and cancel the league until its safe.They are healthy young men who can find other work like everyone else affected

Parody of a parody of a parody 🤣

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Clubs had 6 years with no league football during the war and none were liquidated.

If players wages are the problem sack them all and cancel the league until its safe.They are healthy young men who can find other work like everyone else affected

aye, football needs to sort itself out from the top down

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Football got furlough just like everyone else

Why should they be treated differently.

I agree with our pink friend on this. 

We're all in it together

11 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye, football needs to sort itself out from the top down

Well yes, despite pride of Stretford's wummage I do agree with the argument that for football to claim outside assistance it needs to show that its taking steps to help itself and that the "optics" of top clubs still spending hundreds of millions despite all this dont look good.

Sam Matterface was talking about this on the radio the other day, if the sport wants to be treated exceptionally, it needs to behave exceptionally too.

• Site Supporter

Re: Letter from House of Commons 

They talk about the falling revenue from TV broadcasting, I’d say on the contrary, TV broadcasting in a period where many of the target audience would normally be out watching a live football game ought to be increasing. 

2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

But they generally didnt play any games and didnt have to pay players for most of that time.  If any clubs choose not to play for a few months they'll be chucked out of the their league.

35 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Re: Letter from House of Commons 

They talk about the falling revenue from TV broadcasting, I’d say on the contrary, TV broadcasting in a period where many of the target audience would normally be out watching a live football game ought to be increasing. 

I can only speak for myself but the enjoyment of watching live sport (not just football) is ruined with no atmosphere and so I watch a lot less than before, I would guess viewing figures have reduced significantly and a lot will have cancelled Sky Sports etc. Normally I would say great if it means the clubs get less TV money but not at the expense of the Prem clubs potentially helping out EFL and National League clubs, which they should 100% be doing.

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But they generally didnt play any games and didnt have to pay players for most of that time.  If any clubs choose not to play for a few months they'll be chucked out of the their league.

Which he covers in the rest of his post.

"Stop the game".

Whether everyone agrees or not, it is an option.

2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

As long as greedy bastard footballers & their greedy bastard agents are taking obscene amounts of money from out of the game - a large part of that money should have dripped all the way down to grassroots football -  taxpayers cannot be expected to bail out football.

I think it’s been covered but if someone was offering me ridiculous money to play I’d not be saying it’s a bit much this. Clubs and Premier league to blame.

Clubs for keep offering the silly deals.

Premier league for agreeing obscene tv rights and selling their souls. If that money didn’t go on wages where would it go?

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I can only speak for myself but the enjoyment of watching live sport (not just football) is ruined with no atmosphere and so I watch a lot less than before, I would guess viewing figures have reduced significantly and a lot will have cancelled Sky Sports etc. Normally I would say great if it means the clubs get less TV money but not at the expense of the Prem clubs potentially helping out EFL and National League clubs, which they should 100% be doing.

Advertising revenue also down by about 50% given a huge number of firms who would normally buy air time have completely stopped due to Covid. Even when the restart marketing budgets will likely be slashed for years as these firms re balance the books (TV spend always first to go). A lot of pressure for the TV firms

Likely this drop off in revenue will work its way down stream to the PL teams, Players & Agents. With that in mind, and the billion the PL teams will lose in gate receipts themselves this season. Its hard to see the PL fully funding league football right down the pyramid even for a season.

Without the football pyramid would the PL generate the same revenue, probably wouldn’t be far off, I’d bet a few at the top wouldn’t mind some form of closed league system like the NLF 

Its just a colossal mess really, I keep coming back to the thinking that the answer to the question is to allow fans back in, even if it’s reduced numbers. Talk of the war further up the thread, even then the gates were open and money was changing hands 

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Which he covers in the rest of his post.

"Stop the game".

Whether everyone agrees or not, it is an option.

Yes I think I missed that last bit!  Apologies.  That may be the only option for National League if they aren't committed to fulfilling players contracts, although what a bummer that is for the players involved.  Its easy to say get another job, they aren't growing on trees at the moment plus for many it will realistically mean the end of their football career.  I wouldn't like to be making those calls, and all for a drop in the ocean compared to the Prem riches.