Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Newport

gonzo

25 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Sadly, I don’t see it. I’m getting angrier all the time. It’s not good for the people around me. Time away is the only way - then it’s hard work getting back into it. I’m simply not enjoying football anymore, never mind Bolton

Corona, combined with BWFC, will take more than it gives.

FWIW we are going to Doncaster next week if you fancy it.

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The Colchester chairman said we got £14k from i follow for that game.  So lets say 40% drop off because we are losing, so its about a £5.6k "loss".  If we win a game, and 14 players get a £300 bonus, that's £4200.  Forgetting the figures, the principal remains, its a bit harsh to say its total bollocks when surely you can see the point that losing games saves money as well as generates it??

Most of the iFollow income will be from away games. That’s what the Colchester Chairman was miffed about. Our larger following ought to be to the benefit of the host club, with iFollow its very much to the benefit of us. Thing is, they’d  probably end up paying it all out to police it if we actually were travelling to games, especially as the fucking idiots now have a target to beat with the hooligan league table.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Cheers mate. Gonna go to Rammy Utd though. I’ve not got it in me to travel to Donny next week, I’m not feeling it

13 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Are you still going to the away games without actually going the game? Thought I recall you talking about going to Colchester away last week 

Some effort that 

Be careful that you don’t get sectioned under the mental health act though 

9 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I seem to remember Bruce Rioch didn’t get off to the greatest of starts, this mon has got 19 new players in, I’m sure it’ll take a little longer for them to gel than other clubs.

We scored a goal about 20 seconds into his first match

11 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Not a free pass the guy has some football ability

Hasn’t played well ‘once’ really?

Suppose that free kick against Dale was good, plus I have a vague recollection of him playing well against City u23s. Can't remember any others 

13 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

I seem to remember Bruce Rioch didn’t get off to the greatest of starts, this mon has got 19 new players in, I’m sure it’ll take a little longer for them to gel than other clubs.

Just had a look, Newport only played 3 players today who played the last league games in March (lost away to Carlisle which meant they finished 14). They have basically re built, likely with a much smaller budget 

We can’t hide behind the new players stuff. In league 1 & 2 50% of players contracts expired in June. It’s all short term stuff at this level (for most) 

For me, no excuses, we’ve been way below where we should be given our budget and the time we have had to prepare 

10 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Are you still going to the away games without actually going the game? Thought I recall you talking about going to Colchester away last week 

Some effort that 

Be careful that you don’t get sectioned under the mental health act though 

Yeah we’re going to the towns.

Something to do.

UTW.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Just had a look, Newport only played 3 players today who played the last league games in March (lost away to Carlisle which meant they finished 14). They have basically re built, likely with a much smaller budget 

We can’t hide behind the new players stuff. In league 1 & 2 50% of players contracts expired in June. It’s all short term stuff at this level (for most) 

For me, no excuses, we’ve been way below where we should be given our budget and the time we have had to prepare 

Totally agree. Today we were 3 separate components - defence, midfield and attack. Not a unit. All 3 components were poor

1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Totally agree. Today we were 3 separate components - defence, midfield and attack. Not a unit. All 3 components were poor

The standard of the players is awful; like a few said we might have 3-4 who would be good enough at this level with another 5-6 average players. We keep bringing in more and more dross and no matter if they start to play as a team they are not good enough. I just hope I am talking bollocks and Evatt proves me wrong but I doubt it

17 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Yeah we’re going to the towns.

Something to do.

UTW.

Some going that 

I think Cambridge away is on a Tuesday night, some going even if you were allowed in. If anyone goes to that, without actually being allowed to go to the match then the uber points league will be closed forever and they will be crowned champions 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Do you think there's enough quality to keep a clean sheet?  If we assume the answer to that in the short term is no, the next question is do you think we look like scoring 2 goals in a game?  2 decent shots looks beyond us at the moment, you're being optimistic as things stand.  

Yes to both. is that optimistic? Probably.

But from my perspective the goals we've conceded are sloppy mistakes that can be rectified and phased out, through analysing our errors and becoming more comfortable with our system.

As for scoring I mean, the goals we could've scored, Greenidge missed a sitter at the back post from a corner. Doyle had a good chance when he and Sarcevic kinda got in each other's way, Fonz has had a couple of big chances he should've buried and had a disallowed goal today. Baptiste also had a disallowed goal. Crawford and Sarcevic both come close too.

We need to do better no doubt and do it fast but I'm not going to condemn the team just yet.

Today we deserved to lose but I don't think our problems are irreparable. More down to confidence in my opinion. Once we get into the lead in a game I think we'll show our quality.

Edited by Mantra

59 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Some going that 

I think Cambridge away is on a Tuesday night, some going even if you were allowed in. If anyone goes to that, without actually being allowed to go to the match then the uber points league will be closed forever and they will be crowned champions 

We’re hoping to stay over in every away town, both mid-week or sat, where BWFC are playing.

• Site Supporter

Anybody giving up after 3 League games needs to give their head a wobble, or think back to this time last season. If you're writing us off with 43 games to go, I think you need to find a more fulfilling hobby. Maybe you just aren't cut out for lower League football. It's shite.

It's a shame the Shrewsbury EFL trophy game isn't this midweek. it would be pretty much a friendly, trial a back 4 and see how it goes.

Playing wing backs is all well and good if you have players in tune with each other. A newly formed team, as we are, it just seems like an open invitation to attack down the wings.