Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Newport

gonzo

11 minutes ago, roybarker said:

Worst Bolton team I have ever seen in 65 years,probably only 3 maybe 4  had any idea

Well you must be even older than me , but you are not far off .I am struggling to think of a worse set of players given that even in our darkest days we had a few who could play

Maybe we have four or five now  Doyle /Delfonso/Taft/Crawford/a.n.other.

• Members
2 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'm behind Evatt & know if he can sort it out we will be entertaining to watch but what worries me with playing around at the back is that even the top teams get caught out occasionally with international defenders.... How the hell do we get big donkeys like Santos to do it without conceding bucket loads? I'd prefer us to concentrate on teaching our defence that playing statues in our own box isn't conducive to getting results. 

4 at the back with a DM.

full backs go forward , DM drops. 
Communication from the GK, don’t play a high line because we aren’t quick enough, play deep with a DM, that’s how we’ll be hard to beat

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Can't argue with anything he said in that. I've still got every confidence he'll sort it. And there's no fucking way that was the "worst ever Bolton team performance". Think a few people got carried away with all the "we're gonna piss the league" nonsense. We'll be reet.

12 minutes ago, MickyD said:

If you can’t see us losing our first 9 then it follows that you CAN see us winning or drawing one of the next 6 games. Pray, tell which one that’d be because I’m buggered if I can see a point if IE insists on this defensive formation with defenders who look like they’ve never played football before.

I mean, they're all winnable games, it just doesn't feel like it right now. If I had to pick specifically, Barrow and Harrogate are new to the division so probably our best chance on paper.

We're in bad form now and it's easy to judge and say they're all shite but from what I've seen there's enough quality to pick up a win or a couple of draws from our next 6 at least. Can't see Evatt continuing with the current selection and formation if we lose our next two.

5 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'm behind Evatt & know if he can sort it out we will be entertaining to watch but what worries me with playing around at the back is that even the top teams get caught out occasionally with international defenders.... How the hell do we get big donkeys like Santos to do it without conceding bucket loads? I'd prefer us to concentrate on teaching our defence that playing statues in our own box isn't conducive to getting results. 

I don't mind us playing out from the back if it means the centre-halfs pass it to a midfielder who drops deep, but if it means Santos cruises forward into the opposition halfin posession I think I'd rather we just hoofed it.

• Site Supporter
Just now, victor meldrew said:

the TR 85 team were better than this lot, at least we scored goals

I’ve never been so close to jacking it in, I’m thoroughly pissed off with it. A tad unfair on this lot, it’s been building for the last few years but I ain’t seen anything to fire my enthusiasm yet from this group

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, victor meldrew said:

the TR 85 team were better than this lot, at least we scored goals

now that's a depressing thought, and can't argue against it.

for some reason though, I still feel more optimistic than then.

probably due to the rise we went through in the 90s and noughties

22 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

In your own words, complete guesswork, in fact total bollocks as you have no idea about the finances involved. Not having a pop, just seemed odd. 

The Colchester chairman said we got £14k from i follow for that game.  So lets say 40% drop off because we are losing, so its about a £5.6k "loss".  If we win a game, and 14 players get a £300 bonus, that's £4200.  Forgetting the figures, the principal remains, its a bit harsh to say its total bollocks when surely you can see the point that losing games saves money as well as generates it??

54 minutes ago, Mantra said:

From his comments to the BN it sounds like he's going to change something for next game at least. 

Think Gordon and Comley will make way personally, if not more.

I thought Gordon played OK today.  Looks more comfortable with the 4 at the back game, not having to bomb forward but when he does venture forward he's done OK, including the disallowed goal he set up.  Defensively he wasnt exposed like he was with IE's flawed 3 at the back.  Changing him would make very little difference unless you move Taft to left back for his height and physicality.  If IE was disappointed with Comley today he would have subb'd him, he will be in team next week, and I think Sarcevic will replace Crawford, and the new winger will replace the old winger.

11 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I’ve never been so close to jacking it in, I’m thoroughly pissed off with it. A tad unfair on this lot, it’s been building for the last few years but I ain’t seen anything to fire my enthusiasm yet from this group

Couple of wins and you’ll be firing on all cylinders. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not being flippant, but the limited funds gained by i-follow sales should be more than offset by the lack of win bonuses being paid out currently.  If we win a game, the increased sales for the following match may just about cover the extra wages (complete guesswork of course).

Can’t see the win bonus being anywhere near the 54k  game we received for the Colchester game from ifollow . 
But the main point was what Radcliffe white said people on DD could cancel  and that would be a big hit on the club financially . Hopefully it will not  come to that but we need a win quick 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Couple of wins and you’ll be firing on all cylinders. 

Sadly, I don’t see it. I’m getting angrier all the time. It’s not good for the people around me. Time away is the only way - then it’s hard work getting back into it. I’m simply not enjoying football anymore, never mind Bolton

28 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I mean, they're all winnable games, it just doesn't feel like it right now. If I had to pick specifically, Barrow and Harrogate are new to the division so probably our best chance on paper.

We're in bad form now and it's easy to judge and say they're all shite but from what I've seen there's enough quality to pick up a win or a couple of draws from our next 6 at least. Can't see Evatt continuing with the current selection and formation if we lose our next two.

Do you think there's enough quality to keep a clean sheet?  If we assume the answer to that in the short term is no, the next question is do you think we look like scoring 2 goals in a game?  2 decent shots looks beyond us at the moment, you're being optimistic as things stand.  

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The Colchester chairman said we got £14k from i follow for that game.  So lets say 40% drop off because we are losing, so its about a £5.6k "loss".  If we win a game, and 14 players get a £300 bonus, that's £4200.  Forgetting the figures, the principal remains, its a bit harsh to say its total bollocks when surely you can see the point that losing games saves money as well as generates it??

You've just done it again... 14 players, £300. Just making up numbers to suit 😂

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Sadly, I don’t see it. I’m getting angrier all the time. It’s not good for the people around me. Time away is the only way - then it’s hard work getting back into it. I’m simply not enjoying football anymore, never mind Bolton

Come on pal - yes it’s hard and all we have to look forward to each week is shite (if you can get ifollow to work) but we will be back and enjoy days out (with the exception of football) like we have done for years.  Kept the faith fella

To think, Coyle got hammered just for playing LCY against these lot, a few years later they have handed our arses to us at home! 

This really is the lowest of the low, makes the 80’s look like a European run 

It’s even worse than last seasons start, when we had kids playing, even they got a draw in the first 5 games 

I’d give IE the season, that’s what we do at BWFC, unless we are in a relegation scrap which is much more likely than a promotion push 

No excuses about budgets either, we are comfortably at the top end of the division 

Just poor recruitment / management thus far 

1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

To think, Coyle got hammered just for playing LCY against these lot, a few years later they have handed our arses to us at home! 

This really is the lowest of the low, makes the 80’s look like a European run 

It’s even worse than last seasons start, when we had kids playing, even they got a draw in the first 5 games 

I’d give IE the season, that’s what we do at BWFC, unless we are in a relegation scrap which is much more likely than a promotion push 

No excuses about budgets either, we are comfortably at the top end of the division 

Just poor recruitment / management thus far 

It does look that way.  Particularly given players signed early, good pre season and started dog shite

I only watched half a hour then decided to go to Blackpool. Listened to 5 live and they said it was 1 all, then 5 minutes later it was 2-0. 

In the half hour I managed to endure its clear we have no penetration be it through the middle or out wide, just passing  it in front of the opposition defence won't get us many goals. 

As for our "defence" we signed big and fast non league players. They might be fast but they are still non league. Same reason Usain Bolt never made it as a footballer. 

59 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Well you must be even older than me , but you are not far off .I am struggling to think of a worse set of players given that even in our darkest days we had a few who could play

Maybe we have four or five now  Doyle /Delfonso/Taft/Crawford/a.n.other.

Why does Crawford get a free pass? Guy hasn't played well for us once since joining