Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Melbourne Cup 2020

bolty58

• Members

Gents - as you know, I usually make a comment when it's getting close. Seems the locals have already surrendered this year convinced that either the UK or Ireland will take the Cup home and the only danger being one German entry if the local pundits are to be believed.

I am already on Buckhurst (at an unbelieveable 51.00!), Master Of Reality ($21.00) and Stratum ($34.00) so I hope they are right! Obviously hoping for Buckhurst which I am sure you fine fellows will be able to give me a better rundown on than I have been able to access down here.

• Members

Cheers mate. Always appreciate your input. I know about Master Of Reality from last years race. Can you tell me anything about Stratum?

Just FYI and interest:

https://www.racenet.com.au//news/european-raiders-on-their-way-to-melbourne-for-the-spring-carnival-20201001

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/joseph-obrien-has-irish-eyes-for-another-melbourne-cup-20200930

Edited by bolty58

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Interesting few days. Two O'Brien horses been all the rage (Anthony Van Dyck and Tiger Moth). AVD was excellent in the Caulfield Cup.

A 'local' being backed big time now. Surprise Baby. It's a Kiwi but they'll claim it as an Aussie if it wins - just like they claimed Phar Lap and Crowded House.

• Members

Yes mate, they are. I ended up lumping on Tiger Moth for a place to cover all my other bets. That formula (European 3yo with a light weight has been goldn for the last few years now).

Missed 82% of the first four div ($40k) by an inch or two when The Chosen One pipped Persan for fourth on the line. That's racing as they say.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Sorry R - I would have sent you wrong anyway. I would have tipped you 2nd, 3rd and 4th!

Like an idiot, I discounted the classiest horse in the race (reigning Australian horse of the year FFS!) because the run before the Cox Plate was ordinary and her third in the Cox Plate was not all that impressive. I should have twigged what the very astute trainer (trained Winx) was up to but it only registered when they were three furlongs out from the winning post. 17/1 I could have had. I'd been following her until the bad run too! That's racing!

On the plus side I have had some very significant collects on my current darling - Godolphins bonny mare Colette. From around 9 bets she has now won for me 6 times at 6.50, 3.70, 34.00, 12.00, 2.50 & 12.00. Mainly Group 1's too one of which was the Empire Rose Stakes last Saturday was another and she's now backing up in the Group 1 McKinnon Stakes this coming Saturday at Flemington. The 34.00 win for me was in last years Golden Eagle (6.00 on the day but I'd been backing her for months at antepost odds) on an absolute bog track (heavy 9). They are predicting heavy rain in Melbourne in the next few days plus everyone will be wanting to back scratched Cox Plate favourite Zaaki so I am hoping the current offer of 5.00/2.00 will blow out a little and I'll be loading up again. May go 33% win 66% place this time as I would be confident of making profit and not giving them back any of the winnings from this spring carnival. Two weekends to go and I suspend operations until the beginnings of the Autumn Carnival in Sydney late Feb/early March. Hopefully Colette provides a further boost and then I only have to negotiate the Sandown Guineas/Sandown Cup meeting the weekend after. Donkeys going around all over the country after that - no thanks.

One to keep an eye on down here for future big races - Espiona. Another one trained by Chris Waller of Winx fame. This one will be a star. Remember the name - it might turn up at Royal Ascot one day.

• 10 months later...

Godolphins bonny mare Colette. From around 9 bets she has now won for me 6 times at 6.50, 3.70, 34.00, 12.00, 2.50 & 12.00. Mainly Group 1's too one of which was the Empire Rose Stakes last Saturday was another and she's now backing up in the Group 1 McKinnon Stakes this coming Saturday at Flemington. The 34.00 win for me was in last years Golden Eagle (6.00 on the day but I'd been backing her for months at antepost odds) on an absolute bog track (heavy 9). They are predicting heavy rain in Melbourne in the next few days plus everyone will be wanting to back scratched Cox Plate favourite Zaaki so I am hoping the current offer of 5.00/2.00 will blow out a little and I'll be loading up again. 

• Members

Daniela, thanks for reminding me what an utter balls up that was. I sincerely hope no one took my advice. Colette hasn't fired a shot since I posted that. Still, she was a little cracker for me before that so can't complain.

Never one to shy away, I am into one called Surefire for this years edition of the Melbourne Cup. 34.00/9.00 been available with money back for a non runner so too good to refuse. Won at Ascot and a few other UK tracks so will likely be known by the learned racing types on here. Certainly with the right trainer down here. Same bloke who trained Winx.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
On 23/09/2022 at 07:04, bolty58 said:

Daniela, thanks for reminding me what an utter balls up that was. I sincerely hope no one took my advice. Colette hasn't fired a shot since I posted that. Still, she was a little cracker for me before that so can't complain.

Never one to shy away, I am into one called Surefire for this years edition of the Melbourne Cup. 34.00/9.00 been available with money back for a non runner so too good to refuse. Won at Ascot and a few other UK tracks so will likely be known by the learned racing types on here. Certainly with the right trainer down here. Same bloke who trained Winx.

Update - sounds like Waller might bypass the Melbourne Cup and go to a race the following Saturday in Sydney called the 5 Diamonds.

That will simply be stake back for me and seeking advice from you up there re Deauville Legend and Camorra which are highly fancied by pundits down here for the Melbourne Cup?

Edited by bolty58

On 15/10/2022 at 10:24, bolty58 said:

Update - sounds like Waller might bypass the Melbourne Cup and go to a race the following Saturday in Sydney called the 5 Diamonds.

That will simply be stake back for me and seeking advice from you up there re Deauville Legend and Camorra which are highly fancied by pundits down here for the Melbourne Cup?

Deauville Legend will win the Melbourne cup.

• Members
11 hours ago, Offshore said:

Deauville Legend will win the Melbourne cup.

Cheers mate. Certainly taken the eye of many recognised pundits down here with his work at Werribee.

Probably the one I will have to have a smallish go at now Surefire just failed to make the cut in running second in the qualifying race the Geelong Cup. Oddly, the other three I  have a small fancy for all begin with 'D'! Caulfield Cup winner Durston seems remarkably well in at the weights even after a penalty. Duais is the class horse in the race but needs a dryer track than we have been seeing down here of late. Daqiansweet Junior won the Adelaide Cup and is a good long odds hope but again needs a dry track.

Not seeing it as a great edition so if Deauville Legend is anything like a decent stayer, should be a good time to be having a tilt at it.

• 7 months later...