Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Project Big Picture


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cunts the lot of them. Premier league can fuck off Knee bending, virtue signalling shower of shit. 

He's still a rat-faced cunt.

Why should the taxpayer subsidise football when there is more than enough money in the game to do it itself? The PL earns more than the next four biggest European leagues combined. Oliver Dowden inter

A better idea would for the top six to leave the prem and join a new super European league. Re structure our football league with the teams left from the premier and form 4 divisions again .it would then give nearly every club a chance to win something rather than the big six closed shop all the time . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
1 hour ago, lofthouse said:

A better idea would for the top six to leave the prem and join a new super European league. Re structure our football league with the teams left from the premier and form 4 divisions again .it would then give nearly every club a chance to win something rather than the big six closed shop all the time . 

It’d be funny, rather than exile the top six clubs to European League, handicap them   to -2 goals each home game and -1 for away games. 
 

Watch them squirm with their own greatness and top-sixness then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, lofthouse said:

A better idea would for the top six to leave the prem and join a new super European league. Re structure our football league with the teams left from the premier and form 4 divisions again .it would then give nearly every club a chance to win something rather than the big six closed shop all the time . 

The big six would be replaced by the next big six except for everton

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54560148
 

£50m rescue package rejected by the EFL.

To be fair the rescue package is only £20M in grants, with the other £30M in loans - interest-free but repayable. That won't go far among 48 clubs and EFL want a package acceptable to each division, including Championship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct to reject, can’t throw a third of members under the Bus 

The EFL need to turn their attention towards the government, they want empty stadiums, they can pay. The HMRC has had over £30bn in tax from professional football over the past decade, not a big ask for them to give £200m back now 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not suggesting that the government pay £90m to a single club. Just replace (or part replace) the lost revenue from keeping the fans locked out 

If a Championship club like Stoke or Derby are spending £30m a year on wages then the HMRC is getting over £1m a month in tax revenue through PAYE & NI. Deferring that alone would more than cover lost revenue from not having fans in the ground 

If a load of football clubs go under then the biggest loser will be the HMRC as they get the biggest share of football’s wealth in the form of taxes 

OR they could just let fans in, limit capacity to allow for social distancing, no bail out required 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
1 hour ago, snowball said:

But why should likes of Stoke with a £90 million wage bill or Derby/Boro etc the ones who have thrown a ton of money about be bailed out? Especially by govt

 

I don’t think any club spunked money away in the hope of a pandemic creating a total shut-down so they’d get bailed out by the government.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

I’m not suggesting that the government pay £90m to a single club. Just replace (or part replace) the lost revenue from keeping the fans locked out 

If a Championship club like Stoke or Derby are spending £30m a year on wages then the HMRC is getting over £1m a month in tax revenue through PAYE & NI. Deferring that alone would more than cover lost revenue from not having fans in the ground 

If a load of football clubs go under then the biggest loser will be the HMRC as they get the biggest share of football’s wealth in the form of taxes 

OR they could just let fans in, limit capacity to allow for social distancing, no bail out required 

A socially distanced crowd is going to be a loss maker until the percentages are anything close to full capacity so, given a choice, the clubs would snap your hand off at any sort of tax relief. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

A socially distanced crowd is going to be a loss maker until the percentages are anything close to full capacity so, given a choice, the clubs would snap your hand off at any sort of tax relief. 

You’d imagine league 1 / league 2 clubs could get close to a flat revenue position with reasonable distancing measures in place. I think we would be fine, 8k to 10k fans spread around the whole ground mean 2 out of 3 seats are empty. With the business rates relief the club are also getting it should be enough to see us through 

Different kettle of fish in the championship as the gates are bigger. However so are the wage bills and tax payments. What’s the average wage bill in the Championship? Say £20m a season per club, so half a billion per season for the league, I’d bet the HMRC is bringing in £200m a year in tax and NI from Championship clubs every season. That’s before you look at VAT and other taxes 

These clubs shouldn’t have to beg other clubs for bailouts, if the government want the gates shut then give a bit of the tax revenue back OR defer current tax payments whilst the restrictions are in place. 

Just think, Championship clubs COULD have done a deal with the PFA and frozen player contracts until football resumed (with gates open), they could have furloughed their players on £2,500 a month. The HMRC would have had to pay about £10m in furlough, instead they have collected over £100m in tax / NI for the same 6 month period 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, masi 51 said:

Independent board made up of Gary Neville, David Bernstein, Andy Burnham   Denise Lewis

Manifesto,,,,,,,Save our beautiful game

 

Fuck right off the lot of you!!

Mmmmmm.........not so sure with this one. Encouraging to see folk talking about the redistribution of wealth in football. Simply has to happen and I'd be more inclined to trust a bunch of well meaning independents than the two big sets of red bastards or the fuckers who engineered the 'sucking the life out of English football' Premier League in the first place.

Unless I have been completely taken in by an accomplished actor, Gary Neville seems to have morphed into a respectable force for good as far as the general health of English football is concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
13 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Correct to reject, can’t throw a third of members under the Bus 

The EFL need to turn their attention towards the government, they want empty stadiums, they can pay. The HMRC has had over £30bn in tax from professional football over the past decade, not a big ask for them to give £200m back now 

You make this point a lot, and it does stand up. The money paid in tax hasn't been sat in an account though, its been spent on public services for us all. 

Anything given now, has to be paid for later. So does the government forward it in loans, or pay for it in future cuts to services or tax rises?

We often get comments that "working folk are getting poorer as others get wealthier" etc, but if there's one industry that really does funnel cash from poorer folk to a small number of very wealthy individuals, it's football. The working man's game.

I can see both ways of looking at this, seems a bit of mutual effort by both parties is the best way forward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

You’d imagine league 1 / league 2 clubs could get close to a flat revenue position with reasonable distancing measures in place. I think we would be fine, 8k to 10k fans spread around the whole ground mean 2 out of 3 seats are empty. With the business rates relief the club are also getting it should be enough to see us through 

Different kettle of fish in the championship as the gates are bigger. However so are the wage bills and tax payments. What’s the average wage bill in the Championship? Say £20m a season per club, so half a billion per season for the league, I’d bet the HMRC is bringing in £200m a year in tax and NI from Championship clubs every season. That’s before you look at VAT and other taxes 

These clubs shouldn’t have to beg other clubs for bailouts, if the government want the gates shut then give a bit of the tax revenue back OR defer current tax payments whilst the restrictions are in place. 

Just think, Championship clubs COULD have done a deal with the PFA and frozen player contracts until football resumed (with gates open), they could have furloughed their players on £2,500 a month. The HMRC would have had to pay about £10m in furlough, instead they have collected over £100m in tax / NI for the same 6 month period 

With an 8k crowd our gate receipts are zero but would have the running costs of opening the full stadium (and then some as the guidance relies on more stewards than normal). The only thing it might relieve is the number of refunds that we potentially would have to pay out, though that certainly become a prospect if only a proportion of season ticket holders are allowed in.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

You make this point a lot, and it does stand up. The money paid in tax hasn't been sat in an account though, its been spent on public services for us all. 

Anything given now, has to be paid for later. So does the government forward it in loans, or pay for it in future cuts to services or tax rises?

We often get comments that "working folk are getting poorer as others get wealthier" etc, but if there's one industry that really does funnel cash from poorer folk to a small number of very wealthy individuals, it's football. The working man's game.

I can see both ways of looking at this, seems a bit of mutual effort by both parties is the best way forward. 

The government have seemingly washed their hands of league football clubs

The biggest loser if league football goes under us the HMRC as they make a fortune in tax out of the industry, it’s very short sited of them IMO 

The solution needs to be joined up across all the stakeholders including the government. The Secretary for Sport saying football can sort itself out isn’t helpful at all, he should be ashamed of himself 

 

Edited by birch-chorley
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

With an 8k crowd our gate receipts are zero but would have the running costs of opening the full stadium (and then some as the guidance relies on more stewards than normal). The only thing it might relieve is the number of refunds that we potentially would have to pay out, though that certainly become a prospect if only a proportion of season ticket holders are allowed in.  

I guess Bolton’s a funny one given the club have sold 8k ST’s 

However if the gates are shut for the thick end of the season, the likelihood is, a lot of it will have to be given back somehow (refunds this season or off next year) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

I guess Bolton’s a funny one given the club have sold 8k ST’s 

However if the gates are shut for the thick end of the season, the likelihood is, a lot of it will have to be given back somehow (refunds this season or off next year) 

Bank the money for this year and hope for the best the following year. Much the same as when they went on sale this time around tbf. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.