Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cambridge United away.

Marc505

Just now, Biggish Dave said:

He’s a young lad still (not football terms but life terms) if his heart ain’t in it, try and get a few quid, shake his hand and off he goes. Only what Doyle and Sarce have done but we could get a fee.

im a firm believer that if players are settled, kids at school, wives enjoy the area etc, you get the best of them. If any of it falls over, get rid. No malice, go and be happy 

Spot on. We would get a fee for him of that I’ve no doubt. You would hope the club wouldn’t stand in his way either. He owes us nothing and if it frees up space for someone like Darcy or someone more experienced in January I’m all for it. 

and for balance I’m a massive Crawford fan on what I saw of him before this season. He should be the best midfielder in this league by a long way. 
You can see it in him clear as day now though that something is amiss 

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Amoateng came on for Greenidge, played on the right wing, fish out of water. 

Not sure of the significance of the Mascoll and Gordon comments, if they arent ready for the first team I would have thought we should have signed a 1st team left back (Chicksen?).

Taft definitely wasnt signed as a luxury, I have no strong opinion on him either way, but if he's been signed its to be a first teamer, he isnt old and he isnt young, how does he not get in this 5 man defence unless opinion of him has changed?

I think Evatt rates him self very,very highly......the first game against FGR all 11 players were his signings.

Players who were already here Darcy,Delaney.Brockbank , Crawford were inferior in his opinion

If we had won our first 4/5 games we would have gone along with that,but it was soon clear we have signed some garbidge

Evatt said some are gambles but as much as his selections are piss poor......He is the best manager we have had since Big Sam

It will take time and some like Crellin,Baptiste,And Comley have not fitted in

11 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

There's two parts to it really from what I can see. The public slating is one thing, we are used to it, I'm sure the players are and it wouldn't be mentioned outside of a bwfc hashtag, but the "man up" comment is what has caught fire specifically, I notice Marvin Sordell has got involved on twitter, too.

I think it's another example of Evatt possibly being one of the worst managers I've known for heat of the moment comments, I bet he wont speak like this post match in 2 or 3 years time when hes more experienced.

Whatever your views on whether the "PC brigade" takes things too far or not, in the current climate hes definitely (possibly unwittingly) used one of the "do not say" buzzwords here.

The "man up" comment is definitely what's gained traction. I posted earlier in this thread that I don't think it helps that he's under so much pressure so early in his tenure. FV seem to be quite socially conscious, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a word.

9 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

George Taft played for England U17s and England U18s .

Now he's 27 years old on the bench for a league two team. 

i would rather  go with Casper Schmiechal who was playing for Bucket shakers at 20 and listning to there fans who said it was only the name getting him a game.

Crellin is not good enough for Bolton at 20, but dont crucify the lad

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

I think Evatt rates him self very,very highly......the first game against FGR all 11 players were his signings.

Players who were already here Darcy,Delaney.Brockbank , Crawford were inferior in his opinion

If we had won our first 4/5 games we would have gone along with that,but it was soon clear we have signed some garbidge

Evatt said some are gambles but as much as his selections are piss poor......He is the best manager we have had since Big Sam

It will take time and some like Crellin,Baptiste,And Comley have not fitted in

Personally, I think TP has signed a few and IE has signed a few but let’s feed their stats into the computer (Tutte training for a week, released then came back).

I reckon IE is revolting against TP by playing Brocky at LB, Tutte instead on Comley. If my thoughts are right, IE wants rid of TP and bring his own men in

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Personally, I think TP has signed a few and IE has signed a few but let’s feed their stats into the computer (Tutte training for a week, released then came back).

I reckon IE is revolting against TP by playing Brocky at LB, Tutte instead on Comley. If my thoughts are right, IE wants rid of TP and bring his own men in

If IE had been here for a few years I might give that idea some credence but he would be a fucking idiot to be playing those games in the 1st few weeks of his career here. 

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Said that all along......only room for one top dog,

17 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

What a load of bollocks. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

If IE had been here for a few years I might give that idea some credence but he would be a fucking idiot to be playing those games in the 1st few weeks of his career here. 

I think (don’t know) they had to get people in quickly and lots of them. While in general they had the same idea, it was too much for 1 man in the time he had so a few had to be lined up.

i expect TP to be gone well before IE

20 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

i would rather  go with Casper Schmiechal who was playing for Bucket shakers at 20 and listning to there fans who said it was only the name getting him a game.

Crellin is not good enough for Bolton at 20, but dont crucify the lad

Just making the point that being an England youth international doesn't necessarily correlate to making it etc.

I hope he is a success for us.  Some people will say he's not ready . Some people will say hes not good enough. At the moment id say the latter but I hope I'm proved wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

Just making the point that being an England youth international doesn't necessarily correlate to making it etc.

I hope he is a success for us.  Some people will say he's not ready . Some people will say hes not good enough. At the moment id say the latter but I hope I'm proved wrong. 

hes certainly not ready for us......what if Evatt said in his shell your my number 1...i have total confidence in you

The shirts yours until your contract runs out, but i then want you signed on a three year contract at Bolton.

I will bollock you and call you out but you will be my number one keeper for the next 3 years

2 hours ago, masi 51 said:

That'd be a bonkers statement to make if he'd won all 11 games so far, never mind one.

Whatever people think of them, the high points of Parky's, Megson's, Coyle's and even Freedman's tenures all just about edge beating Harrogate away.

2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Aye, the comments seem to have attracted criticism from beyomd our own supporters. I wouldn't be surprised if he's forced to apologise for making them.

I'm surprised at the traction it's got. Surely in context he was talking about how Crellin can't hide behind his age - he's our senior keeper and needs to act like it? Clumsy wording I guess.

Time will tell what reaction it gets out of Crellin, but from his performances so far he'd be lucky ever to start a game for us again. So from that perspective, he's gotten off lightly with just being dug out by the manager and keeping his place.

5 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I'm surprised at the traction it's got. Surely in context he was talking about how Crellin can't hide behind his age - he's our senior keeper and needs to act like it? Clumsy wording I guess.

Time will tell what reaction it gets out of Crellin, but from his performances so far he'd be lucky ever to start a game for us again. So from that perspective, he's gotten off lightly with just being dug out by the manager and keeping his place.

I think it's the phrase "man up" people object to. I'm not saying I'm particularly bothered myslf, but Ican see why people might take issue with it.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

That'd be a bonkers statement to make if he'd won all 11 games so far, never mind one.

Whatever people think of them, the high points of Parky's, Megson's, Coyle's and even Freedman's tenures all just about edge beating Harrogate away.

See what you're saying but those managers had international footballers to work with, because of where we are he only as cast offs and bargain basement players and can only beat what's in front of him.

6 minutes ago, Good Knee said:

See what you're saying but those managers had international footballers to work with, because of where we are he only as cast offs and bargain basement players and can only beat what's in front of him.

I think IE could be long-term, but for this level he’s hardly been left with scraps - signing Doyle, Sarc etc

And we’ve won 1 league game. So RIGHT NOW to put him anywhere in the pecking order is a bit bonkers. hopefully we are saying otherwise at the end of the season.

Back to his comments; there’s 2 elements 

1) The public blame; he said he’d spoken to him directly first; and everyone reacts to different stimulus - carrot and stick. So I hope he knows what he’s doing. Personally I’m not sure I like it, especially when you take his age into account. I said yesterday IE was upset after we’d played so well and for me he put his own ego ahead of Crellin’s mentality. iE is also young in “mgt years” and he’s learning too though I suppose.

2) The man-up phrase. It’s been rightly criticised when used for people struggling with mental health etc. Here it was used in a completely different context, but using it was clumsy; Crellin makes more mistakes and a few will say that it’s IE’s fault now.

If he doesn’t use that phrase but still “outs him” it gets no attention as folk are jumping on the bandwagon. Some managers hands criticised players publicly for years, he’s hardly gone first. 

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

I think IE could be long-term, but for this level he’s hardly been left with scraps - signing Doyle, Sarc etc

And we’ve won 1 league game. So RIGHT NOW to put him anywhere in the pecking order is a bit bonkers. hopefully we are saying otherwise at the end of the season.

Back to his comments; there’s 2 elements 

1) The public blame; he said he’d spoken to him directly first; and everyone reacts to different stimulus - carrot and stick. So I hope he knows what he’s doing. Personally I’m not sure I like it, especially when you take his age into account. I said yesterday IE was upset after we’d played so well and for me he put his own ego ahead of Crellin’s mentality. iE is also young in “mgt years” and he’s learning too though I suppose.

2) The man-up phrase. It’s been rightly criticised when used for people struggling with mental health etc. Here it was used in a completely different context, but using it was clumsy; Crellin makes more mistakes and a few will say that it’s IE’s fault now.

If he doesn’t use that phrase but still “outs him” it gets no attention as folk are jumping on the bandwagon. Some managers hands criticised players publicly for years, he’s hardly gone first. 

Spot on.

I have exactly the same opinion. I’m uncomfortable with IE’s public criticism of the players especially today with Crellin. But the context you add about IE himself being young and learning makes sense.

Similarly with the “man-up” phrase - in the modern world it’s now viewed as harmful and damaging, in particular when associated with mental health. But again the context in this situation, while not making it right, helps explain the reasoning. It’s a football game where a manager is looking for a positive reaction.

I’d have much preferred IE coming out saying, he doesn’t need me telling him he’s made a mistake, this isn’t to do with his attitude or ability, he’s a young lad who’s still learning, the conditions were appalling out there today, many a talented keeper would have struggled with that ball today. I trust him, his coaches and players trust him and he’ll come out a better player for this.

The massive counter argument to this though is that you’d hope IE has a good understanding (or better/developing understanding) of his players and what makes them tick, he got a reaction after Barrow, he’s no doubt hoping similar with Crellin, however I worry a 20 year old lad who is trying to establish himself in the professional game, will react positively in the same way. I hope he does without being negatively affected by the comments

Using one of IE phrases, the proof will be in the pudding.

• Site Supporter

I wonder if anyone would even bother with Crelin's howler if the linesman had done his job. 

That's where IE's anger ought to have been directed to highlight how shit some of the officials are at this level.