Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Cambridge United away.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looks like that comeback against Barrow has really galvanised the team. Only two negatives from today, Baptiste and Crellin. Don't need to dwell on those as they're plain as day. There are m

I thought Crawford and Delaney were fine tbh. Game of opinions though. 

Delaney - you must be taking the piss because he was very good

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

That'd be a bonkers statement to make if he'd won all 11 games so far, never mind one.

Whatever people think of them, the high points of Parky's, Megson's, Coyle's and even Freedman's tenures all just about edge beating Harrogate away.

See what you're saying but those managers had international footballers to work with, because of where we are he only as cast offs and bargain basement players and can only beat what's in front of him.

6 minutes ago, Good Knee said:

See what you're saying but those managers had international footballers to work with, because of where we are he only as cast offs and bargain basement players and can only beat what's in front of him.

I think IE could be long-term, but for this level he’s hardly been left with scraps - signing Doyle, Sarc etc

And we’ve won 1 league game. So RIGHT NOW to put him anywhere in the pecking order is a bit bonkers. hopefully we are saying otherwise at the end of the season.

Back to his comments; there’s 2 elements 

1) The public blame; he said he’d spoken to him directly first; and everyone reacts to different stimulus - carrot and stick. So I hope he knows what he’s doing. Personally I’m not sure I like it, especially when you take his age into account. I said yesterday IE was upset after we’d played so well and for me he put his own ego ahead of Crellin’s mentality. iE is also young in “mgt years” and he’s learning too though I suppose.

2) The man-up phrase. It’s been rightly criticised when used for people struggling with mental health etc. Here it was used in a completely different context, but using it was clumsy; Crellin makes more mistakes and a few will say that it’s IE’s fault now.

If he doesn’t use that phrase but still “outs him” it gets no attention as folk are jumping on the bandwagon. Some managers hands criticised players publicly for years, he’s hardly gone first. 

39 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

I think IE could be long-term, but for this level he’s hardly been left with scraps - signing Doyle, Sarc etc

And we’ve won 1 league game. So RIGHT NOW to put him anywhere in the pecking order is a bit bonkers. hopefully we are saying otherwise at the end of the season.

Back to his comments; there’s 2 elements 

1) The public blame; he said he’d spoken to him directly first; and everyone reacts to different stimulus - carrot and stick. So I hope he knows what he’s doing. Personally I’m not sure I like it, especially when you take his age into account. I said yesterday IE was upset after we’d played so well and for me he put his own ego ahead of Crellin’s mentality. iE is also young in “mgt years” and he’s learning too though I suppose.

2) The man-up phrase. It’s been rightly criticised when used for people struggling with mental health etc. Here it was used in a completely different context, but using it was clumsy; Crellin makes more mistakes and a few will say that it’s IE’s fault now.

If he doesn’t use that phrase but still “outs him” it gets no attention as folk are jumping on the bandwagon. Some managers hands criticised players publicly for years, he’s hardly gone first. 

Spot on.

I have exactly the same opinion. I’m uncomfortable with IE’s public criticism of the players especially today with Crellin. But the context you add about IE himself being young and learning makes sense.

Similarly with the “man-up” phrase - in the modern world it’s now viewed as harmful and damaging, in particular when associated with mental health. But again the context in this situation, while not making it right, helps explain the reasoning. It’s a football game where a manager is looking for a positive reaction.

I’d have much preferred IE coming out saying, he doesn’t need me telling him he’s made a mistake, this isn’t to do with his attitude or ability, he’s a young lad who’s still learning, the conditions were appalling out there today, many a talented keeper would have struggled with that ball today. I trust him, his coaches and players trust him and he’ll come out a better player for this.

The massive counter argument to this though is that you’d hope IE has a good understanding (or better/developing understanding) of his players and what makes them tick, he got a reaction after Barrow, he’s no doubt hoping similar with Crellin, however I worry a 20 year old lad who is trying to establish himself in the professional game, will react positively in the same way. I hope he does without being negatively affected by the comments

Using one of IE phrases, the proof will be in the pudding.

• Members

I wonder if anyone would even bother with Crelin's howler if the linesman had done his job. 

That's where IE's anger ought to have been directed to highlight how shit some of the officials are at this level. 

2 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

So where is this criticism of IE coming from, for those of us not on Twitter??

And what they objecting to exactly, ta.

A couple of ex-pros. Marvin Sordell being the most high profile, linked with  the damage comments like this can have on mental health and well-being. Iles to be fair has commented back using the context argument as Jules and I have outlined above.

Crellin should have had his arse handed to him in the dressing room, the full hairdryer treatment in front of everyone.

NEVER EVER to the press. Thats a golden rule. 
IE should have deflected it onto the officials costing us the game not the keeper, even if he didn’t fully believe it.
That sort of thing loses a dressing room. 

• Site Supporter

Getting better and for longer periods in each game. Long way to go, but looking upward rather than down at last

IE can say what the fuck he wants about the players. He is the Manager, he lives by the sword he dies by the sword. You read in press what you see. You dont SEE or hear what he says face to face. FACT

He should know each of players (as staff members) well enough to know who responds best to criticism in which way. 

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I dont know where you're coming from.  Manager picks team. Fans comment. Some right, some wrong.  England had Kane taking corners and Big Sam had Campo at left back.  If you dont think we are allowed to comment, why do we bother.  We are all fans, lets just agree to disagree on how we go about it.  Re choosing one player above another, its because sometimes I think he's got it wrong, and from day one v FGR I havent seen anything to change my mind.  Baptiste, Amoateng, Greenidge, Comley, White and wingbacks that arent really upto being wingbacks,  could have been improved on.  I'm not sure which bit of it you dont agree with other than you dont like disagreeing with the manager.

Oh my goodness where do I start with this!

If I criticise the manager, I’ll do it in context and with an understanding of the bigger picture that surrounds it (see above with IE re “man-up” phrase.)

Granted, I make more comments about players who I think have played well in games rather than negative ones. What’s wrong with that?

Doesn’t mean to say I don’t have them and quite often it’s been said before, so why repeat it? Such as I see Tutte offering a lot more than Comley - but then I’ll show a bigger picture understanding that Tutte might not have 180 mins in him, so if Comley plays Tuesday I understand it.

I just find your negative comments lack context, or they sound irreversible and final, so I’ll pull you up on them. 

To write off so many of the players when you haven’t seen them play properly seems rash. Amoateng, Greenidge, and White for example. If you were interested I could go on and give you my fan view of these players, but in truth I haven’t seen enough of them to make a substantial judgement. 

It wasn’t long ago you were telling us that we won’t be progressing with Santos, Delaney and Brockbank in our back line. Ok you’ve since admitted you were wrong, fair play. So when you make judgements like this don’t be surprised that people will pick you up on them.

2 hours ago, Good Knee said:

Sure but...

A. It's all relative. None of the teams we're playing now have international footballers either, and their players are all cast offs and bargain basement players too.

B. We're not beating what's in front of us.

Edited by Tombwfc
27 minutes ago, hughmungus said:

Evatt is a liability and will be shown to be what he is, a backstreet bully with little actual coaching knowledge.

Whilst I'm not going to throw out anything quite as kneejerk as this, it does appear that he's done what a lot of managers do and end up going a bit daft, only without the usual 18 months of relative sanity first. 

Freedmanish. 

A few things from yesterday have given me hope for the rest of the season - Our defence looks tighter, we are working harder off the ball and finally (and most encouraging) our football in the build up to our offside goal and our equaliser would tear apart any team in this division - if we can tap into that more, then we’ll fly up this league.

4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

A few things from yesterday have given me hope for the rest of the season - Our defence looks tighter, we are working harder off the ball and finally (and most encouraging) our football in the build up to our offside goal and our equaliser would tear apart any team in this division - if we can tap into that more, then we’ll fly up this league.

Kioso as made the world of difference for me , plenty of pace and skill have helped to make us look a much more dynamic attack . Let's just hope Doyle isn't too bad.

28 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Whilst I'm not going to throw out anything quite as kneejerk as this, it does appear that he's done what a lot of managers do and end up going a bit daft, only without the usual 18 months of relative sanity first. 

Freedmanish. 

Well there is a manager who lost the dressing room big time, so let’s hope he doesn’t follow 

5 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Well there is a manager who lost the dressing room big time, so let’s hope he doesn’t follow 

Given we have come from behind including 2 in first few minutes at Barrow the biggest shining light in last 2 games has been the spirit. Easy again after another disallowed goal and keeper fuck up for heads to drop. So any talk of losing dressing room seems unfounded or implying it might be going as the original post said is unfounded. 
The comments on Crellin like the comments post Oldham were misjudged. Easy to say ‘ he is a young kid who has made mistakes, he knows that. We work on getting those mistakes out of his game.  ‘Man up’ is very Dave Bassett. 
On the team we have seen glimpses of how they can play but only in patches building a bit of confidence should se that happen more. 
Also looking at the disallowed goal yesterday we ain’t half due some luck in a game. 

I know 'man up' is not a phrase that's generally acceptable anymore and I know Sordell had his problems, but it doesnt half grind my gears hearing him weigh in.

He'll be sat in some stately home somewhere, that we paid for, crying at how tough life is for footballers today.

6 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I know 'man up' is not a phrase that's generally acceptable anymore and I know Sordell had his problems, but it doesnt half grind my gears hearing him weigh in.

He'll be sat in some stately home somewhere, that we paid for, crying at how tough life is for footballers today.

In those days when the club was receiving £40 million a year Sky money is when  a director of football  was needed to be helping the manager with potential signings

4 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

In those days when the club was receiving £40 million a year Sky money is when  a director of football  was needed to be helping the manager with potential signings

From  memory wasn't Sordell an extremely last minute Panic buy? .

Edited by dusan nikolic
45 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Kioso as made the world of difference for me , plenty of pace and skill have helped to make us look a much more dynamic attack . Let's just hope Doyle isn't too bad.

Agreed on Kioso, he looks the real deal at this level.

Doyles got a hammy strain - 4 weeks maybe?