Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Goalkeeper Situation

desperado

In my world goalies need to be brave and command the defence. Should not be worried about coming out and taking one, the odd flattened nose and broken tooth is part of the job... that leads to an older ugly git, the young athletic keepers are too concerned about looking good on faceboook.

One thing with Gilks that hasn’t been mentioned. Evatt’s game relies on playing out from the back, and therefore the keeper being good with his feet - is Gilks capable or is he an old school, wait for it to go out of play and kick it as far as you can type?

I’d rather he started on Tuesday, because ultimately I want my keeper to stop shots and catch crosses, but I don’t think Evatt will see it that way.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

One thing with Gilks that hasn’t been mentioned. Evatt’s game relies on playing out from the back, and therefore the keeper being good with his feet - is Gilks capable or is he an old school, wait for it to go out of play and kick it as far as you can type?

I’d rather he started on Tuesday, because ultimately I want my keeper to stop shots and catch crosses, but I don’t think Evatt will see it that way.

I’d take a ‘kick as far as you can’ keeper. At least that way the first shit touch is in the opposition half.

• Site Supporter

Worryingly, during the Orient game, the commentator made the observation that Gilkes was away from the technical area and speaking directly to Crellin on two separate occasions during the game.

Have we ever before seen the GK coach counselling a keeper during a game?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Worryingly, during the Orient game, the commentator made the observation that Gilkes was away from the technical area and speaking directly to Crellin on two separate occasions during the game.

Have we ever before seen the GK coach counselling a keeper during a game?

Yes

Last season

• Site Supporter

If Crellin had been red carded yesterday and we’d had to put an outfield player I don’t think the result would have been as bad as it was. Obviously the level of expectation would change but I think so also would the remaining outfield players play up a bit to protect the non-keeper.

Maybe we ought to worry that they haven’t recognised that we’re already playing with a non-keeper.

Crellins heads gone, yes he's a professional player but beleive me the harder he'll try the worse it'll get for him at the moment, he'll be in the club houses after games embarrassed and ashamed I can guarantee it. Unfortunately he needs resting for at least till the New Year so he can re set himself. This will probably hurt him but I think its best for him, Ian Evatt and BWFC

• Site Supporter

Whatever way this pans out it will look as though it’s all down to Crellin when it’s probably more likely to do with Gilkes and the way he trains keepers. Crellin has got as far as playing for a big team in div4. You’d think his flaws would’ve manifested way before he got here.

• Members
9 hours ago, MickyD said:

Whatever way this pans out it will look as though it’s all down to Crellin when it’s probably more likely to do with Gilkes and the way he trains keepers. Crellin has got as far as playing for a big team in div4. You’d think his flaws would’ve manifested way before he got here.

If any coach has taught Crellin that positioning for the free kick they should be sacked 

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

If any coach has taught Crellin that positioning for the free kick they should be sacked 

BC and I have a mutual friend, and I told just that. He was nowhere near them, and it's either inexperience or poor coaching... His starting position all wrong and not impressed with his wall. 

• Members
13 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

BC and I have a mutual friend, and I told just that. He was nowhere near them, and it's either inexperience or poor coaching... His starting position all wrong and not impressed with his wall. 

I refuse to accept it’s a coach. There’s no way he’s passing his qualifications if that’s how he’s coached a keeper, let alone a former keeper ffs 😂

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

If a keeper has got far enough to make it to the pro game, he should already know himself how to set up a wall and position to take.  Shouldn't need a coach to tell him.

• Members
55 minutes ago, gregbwfc said:

If a keeper has got far enough to make it to the pro game, he should already know himself how to set up a wall and position to take.  Shouldn't need a coach to tell him.

Keepers are idiots. They need reminding 

13 hours ago, Ands1 said:

Crellins heads gone, yes he's a professional player but beleive me the harder he'll try the worse it'll get for him at the moment, he'll be in the club houses after games embarrassed and ashamed I can guarantee it. Unfortunately he needs resting for at least till the New Year so he can re set himself. This will probably hurt him but I think its best for him, Ian Evatt and BWFC

Send him back to Fleetwood.  Gilks can go in the sticks if he not good enough get rid. No sentiment in lge 2

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

He really wouldn’t. What a ridiculous statement 

I'm wondering if it's Keith Hill. 

On topic, the keeper must be having an adverse effect on the defenders.

Dibble mentioned above- I remember the impact he had on our back 4; much more solid.

I feel sorry for Crellin. He's doing his best & he's clearly not ready to be a League 2 No. 1 keeper. He looks fragile, flaps at crosses & his positioning for shots & that free kick vs LO was poor. 

He's costing us every week & whoever said it before is right - opposition team talks vs us are easy - pepper the keeper with shots & crosses & we'll get something.

It doesn't help him that Baptiste is in front of him who's also a liability.

He needs taking out of the firing line & the best of Alexander or Gilks putting in until we can find a proper replacement. Baptiste needs dropping, we need to go to a back 4 & start from the basis of protecting our goal. Plenty of time to build on that with more expansive football when we have some confidence & points to fall back on.