Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Goalkeeper Situation

desperado

29 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Not happening Crellin will be in the team tuesday though i see Baptiste to be on the bench.

I tend to agree, I don't see Crellin being replaced.  There is clearly no confidence in Alexander judging by the subs bench and the theory stated by others that Gilks simply isn't here to play matches rings true.  If Gilks replaced Crellin it would look like the teacher saying "I give up, just let me do it for you".  And IE stated early on Crellin was his No 1, to go back on that wouldn't look good either for IE or Crellin.  Not that it should matter - what matters is picking the best team available.

I think any future argument for or against IE staying or going (for another day), can almost come with the rider that if IE stays its IE-with-Crellin.  The debate then becomes do we want Evatt/Crellin or new manager/new keeper?  I might be completely wrong in 24 hours when the team's announced but that's my gut feeling.

Edited by Johnnyrotten
error

24 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

If BC was our keeper for longer than a season i could see reason to stick with him and try and build him up. He's not and was brought in to be first choice so if he's not up to the job there should be a replacement.

The fact that Phoenix and Evatt haven't brought one in is baffling.

Is an odd one, what if Crellin had broken his arm in the first game? There must be some scope for replacing him.

6 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Is an odd one, what if Crellin had broken his arm in the first game? There must be some scope for replacing him.

There's just nobody in the chain with any experience.

Crellin hardly any league experience and not much cop at Chorley.

Gilks. Never been a GK coach before Evatt brought him in.

Evatt. No coaching experience at League level . People go on about Sean Dyche but he worked as a Academy, Then No 2 for about 10 years.

Phoenix. About 6 months at Macc' That's it. Most fans only knew that he was there when he left.

Board level. Anyone with football experience?

So it's not surprising we are where we are.

See that our ex Jake Turner is getting some top reviews at Morecambe. He's a much better bet than Crellin and good on crosses.

10 minutes ago, passmosster said:

There's just nobody in the chain with any experience.

Crellin hardly any league experience and not much cop at Chorley.

Gilks. Never been a GK coach before Evatt brought him in.

Evatt. No coaching experience at League level . People go on about Sean Dyche but he worked as a Academy, Then No 2 for about 10 years.

Phoenix. About 6 months at Macc' That's it. Most fans only knew that he was there when he left.

Board level. Anyone with football experience?

So it's not surprising we are where we are.

See that our ex Jake Turner is getting some top reviews at Morecambe. He's a much better bet than Crellin and good on crosses.

Take your points but surely you don't need much football experience to know you need at least 2 solid choice GKs.

If Alexander and Gilks are really not fit to step in then that's a massive issue that's been overlooked, so my point is - Crellin can't be our only option to play as I don't think they (the board, Evatt, Phoenix) would've been that naive to only have one choice for GK.

Believe Kenyon has helped the board and he has plenty of experience. Phoenix, Evatt and Gilks all lacking experience yes but couldn't expect too much being in L2. I guess we could've gone for a Grayson or a Bowyer but think most fans were optimistic about the appointments at start of the season.

Alexander is even less experienced than Crellin, he won't be getting a league start any time soon. Yeah, he made some saves v Coventry, but adrenaline and it being that team's "moment" saw him through. Some slightly less generous linesmen in place and we lose 3-0 that day.

No keeper on bench is silly, but it would mean one of the five/six substitute defenders making way.

18 hours ago, Mantra said:

Think you can make an emergency loan signing for goal keepers . You could in the past May be breaking is arm would be a good option 

IEs comments do nothing to reduce concern.  Gilks is "stepping up training" - confirmation that he wasn;t previously considered as a 1st teamer, and with Alexander not being considered we went into the season with no competition for the goalie.  It seems bizarre that Gilks wasnt training at full throttle in the same way Alexander would.  And nobody can suggest physical fitness for a keeper has to be near that of outfield players anyway, so how unfit can he be?

IE also says mistakes "get highlighted when you lose games".  Well against Bradford we won, he kept a clean sheet, made a decent penalty save and still every Bolton fan knew he'd had a poor game.  And we got 2 decent enough draws at Barrow and Cambridge - no defeats in 3, but those were the games pre-Orient when it became obvious where the main problem lies.

• Site Supporter

I reckon a keeper needs to be very fit. The ability to fling themselves about and get up again as quickly as possible, to take hits whether on the ground on in the air, etc as well as mental strength to keep focused are all paramount. 

Perhaps Rudy may be able to offer more detail. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

IEs comments do nothing to reduce concern.  Gilks is "stepping up training" - confirmation that he wasn;t previously considered as a 1st teamer, and with Alexander not being considered we went into the season with no competition for the goalie.  It seems bizarre that Gilks wasnt training at full throttle in the same way Alexander would.  And nobody can suggest physical fitness for a keeper has to be near that of outfield players anyway, so how unfit can he be?

You do spout some shit, but that really takes the biscuit... You still think they are the fat kids who get picked last? 

What a whopper 

20 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

You do spout some shit, but that really takes the biscuit... You still think they are the fat kids who get picked last? 

What a whopper 

Sorry for spouting shit but you dont have to read it.

I'm going off the fact that he's a professional footballer who was goes to training every day with the 1st team.  He was signed as a professional keeper a few months ago and as far as we're aware hasnt been injured, so he's already quite fit.  He's not been signed from Clitheroe vets league, he's come from a division above.