Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mansfield Home

DomRepWanderer

• Site Supporter
Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

Too right I am!  I'll take anything positive at the moment, amongst all the many negatives.  When the 2nd half was settling down and it was clear we were 2nd best, I would have snatched your hands off not only for a point, but to actually score a late, 2nd half goal.

And also a well made and taken goal into the bargain, from 2 players that most of us would like to see have an impact.

Good lad, the future is bright 😆

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

That goal just masks the huge issues we've got, almost wish we hadn't scored

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Too right I am!  I'll take anything positive at the moment, amongst all the many negatives.  When the 2nd half was settling down and it was clear we were 2nd best, I would have snatched your hands off not only for a point, but to actually score a late, 2nd half goal.

And also a well made and taken goal into the bargain, from 2 players that most of us would like to see have an impact.

I’m so pleased you don’t fall into the category above. Regardless of how poor a situation is, how much you don’t like the manager, how much you want things to change, I can never understand the attitude of “almost wish we hadn’t scored”. Crikey that point could be vital at the end of the season....... it might keep us up 😊

22 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I find that hard to believe - not saying you aren't right, I simply don't know.  But if he's being forced to pick those 3, or any 3 come to that, we might as well jack it in and he might as well clear off because his reputation and CV is effectively in their hands. 

I think the fact that he's choosing to use a very right-footed player who wasn't even in his original thinking as the LWB speaks volumes about Gordon & Mascoll.

12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I find that hard to believe - not saying you aren't right, I simply don't know.  But if he's being forced to pick those 3, or any 3 come to that, we might as well jack it in and he might as well clear off because his reputation and CV is effectively in their hands. 

Gordon and Mascoll have been so poor he has to replace them, and I can understand why he chose to replace them with Brockbank

If we had a capable left wing-back, Brockbank would be on the right of the back three instead of Baptiste

I can also understand why he wanted to give Crellin the opportunity to prove himself, but I think he'll replace him pretty quickly now

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

A positive to take from last night is now hopefully folk will now shut the fuck up about proclaiming Darcy to be a world beater.

Nobody thinks he's a world beater, but maybe good enough to play in a bottom half League 2 team?

In contrast to some of the players picked in this team that dont look upto EFL standard, to me.

So I think IE has made our team weaker this season by largely ignoring him.  You obviously don't but its all about opinions. 

From where I'm looking the halves where he has played (2 and a bit?) have been improvements on the halves he hasn't played, generally, and he also proved last season he has more to his game than most midfielders in this squad.

5 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Shame that we're still missing Politic, think he would have been a real asset this season.

Agreed.  When he got injured I remember thinking we could cope without him, as the swashbuckling midfield, wingbacks and strikers would have enough to brush the opposition aside!  I think that was when we believed in IEs bigging up of the likes of Comley and White.

To be fair to Sarcevic, he has stepped up.  4 goals this season, all in the 2nd half, all equalisers.  I bet no-one could name  a recent midfielder with the character and ability to score four late-ish decisive goals in a season never mind a month or 2.

4 hours ago, Ratwhite said:

we missed Brockbank when he went off.

Darcy and Crawford, could be good together if left to progress.

Mascoll is better the Gordon.

Get the forwards fit and we'll improve

Baptiste had best 30mins ive seen him have

Everyone is better than Gordon

36 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Darcy was one of our better players last night IMO.

Same, kept the ball well and made good runs which were not picked up, drifted out if the game second half when we were out battled. Seems we have an abundance of number 10s at the moment. Although 99% of the time Crawford's decision making is abysmal, I suppose that is why he has spent his career in the bottom tiers. I would like to see Saracevic in a more attacking role, maybe number 10, but that leaves us short f creativity in centre mid. We need a plan B, pass, pass, pass but what is wrong with taking a man on, it doesn't happen.

For what it is worth I think IE will be with us for a while, but the balance of the squad is all wrong and we need to cut out all these stupid basic errors from both young and experienced alike. Plus some of the team just don't look fit, I thought Mansfield looked fitter and stronger.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, nantwichwhite said:

Same, kept the ball well and made good runs which were not picked up, drifted out if the game second half when we were out battled. Seems we have an abundance of number 10s at the moment. Although 99% of the time Crawford's decision making is abysmal, I suppose that is why he has spent his career in the bottom tiers. I would like to see Saracevic in a more attacking role, maybe number 10, but that leaves us short f creativity in centre mid. We need a plan B, pass, pass, pass but what is wrong with taking a man on, it doesn't happen.

For what it is worth I think IE will be with us for a while, but the balance of the squad is all wrong and we need to cut out all these stupid basic errors from both young and experienced alike. Plus some of the team just don't look fit, I thought Mansfield looked fitter and stronger.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think Darcy still needs to fill out. Some good movement etc last night, but dawdled occasionally and was dispossessed. 

Definitely needs more movement around him to link with. Nothing like that last night from Fonz, who didn't seem fit.

I reckon Evatt must be equally as puzzled about the contributions of Crawford and Darcy.

I don’t think both can play in the same side, they’re too similar. Darcy never hides, he’s always wanting the ball, gives 100% but as TMGJ says he’s easily dispossessed. 

Whereas Crawford hides occasionally, gives the ball away too many times, but when he does click he produces moments of real quality and looks a really good player, just doesn’t happen enough.

I’d play Darcy without Crawford Saturday.

Evatt needs to sort out his 'jobs for the boys'. The 2 he brought in are unarguably the 2 that have so far been his biggest let downs. The less said about Baptiste the better, then Gilks brings in & coaches the lad with him from Fleetwood.

Crellin & Baptiste need dropping & Gilks needs a bloody good roasting. We're in a position were it's hard to drop Crellin as Gilks isn't really ready to replace him & Alexander could be just as young, inexperienced & bad as Crellin. However, if a young lad is going to gain experience & make mistakes, I'd rather it be our young lad that is developed rather than Fleetwood's. Either way, it was a stupid position to put ourselves in, especially when we have about 8 centre backs, crazy!

Alexander will probably get his chance in the cup with a changed & injury hit team, against a higher league side. If he does & we get beat convincingly it's an easy out to bring Crellin back in when the cards were stacked against Alexander. 

FWIW, I still back Evatt, I can see what he's trying to do & like he's already said, there are too many players consistently being inconsistent. I for one think that may be down to a lack of confidence in the keeper & Baptiste's persistent cock ups whilst both seem undropable, he needs to address that or it won't get better. 

1 hour ago, desperado said:

I reckon Evatt must be equally as puzzled about the contributions of Crawford and Darcy.

I don’t think both can play in the same side, they’re too similar. Darcy never hides, he’s always wanting the ball, gives 100% but as TMGJ says he’s easily dispossessed. 

Whereas Crawford hides occasionally, gives the ball away too many times, but when he does click he produces moments of real quality and looks a really good player, just doesn’t happen enough.

Not disagreeing - a good summary of both players at the moment - but "without Crawford" means "with..." and that's the tough bit.  We can all drop under performing players, its the next bit that's the problem.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not disagreeing - a good summary of both players at the moment - but "without Crawford" means "with..." and that's the tough bit.  We can all drop under performing players, its the next bit that's the problem.

If it was a league game I’d go for a midfield 3 of Tutte/Sarcevic//Darcy. As it’s a league game there’s more room for experimentation, so I’m not overly fussed who we see there as long as there’s some plan/passion/goals and/or clean sheet.... I know it’s a big ask 😊

• Site Supporter
22 hours ago, desperado said:

Sadly, perhaps with the exception of sarcevic, too many were easily dispossessed, or just gave possession up themselves. Hope they've been working on a formation with a fit striker.

2 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Could do with giving Taft a run out can't be worse than Baptiste ?

Can't remember if he is left footed though.

Ps welcome back !

Taft has been terrible whenever he's played so far. Would be keen to keep him as far away from the side as possible. Even over Baptiste.