Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ratwhite

10 hours ago, kent_white said:

Right - I've had a drink now but........

Look at Southampton last season then,

Look at Southampton this season.

When we get it right we're pretty much unplayable at this level.

When we get it wrong we're not.

Isn't every team unplayable when they get it right? 

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

I know I didn’t pay a tenner. Already smashed a phone this season after a Crellin cock up, not ready to buy a new iPad as well yet

It's nice to know it isn't just me who sits there fuming and getting angry at a TV when I'm watching players go through the motions and the hapless Crellin flapping at the ball. While I'm on it those commentators get my blood pressure up before a ball is kicked. 

6 minutes ago, Popeye doyle said:

It's nice to know it isn't just me who sits there fuming and getting angry at a TV when I'm watching players go through the motions and the hapless Crellin flapping at the ball. While I'm on it those commentators get my blood pressure up before a ball is kicked. 

The back pass from Baptiste and subsequent penalty had me leaping out of my sofa, shouting and blaspheming for 5 minutes at top of my voice , wife and son looking at me as though I was a loon. 😂

Edited by Mounts Kipper

With Crellin in goal we are effectively starting 1-0 down because he will gift 1 goal and another manager would have dropped in so what is going in because surely Evatt ain't that stubborn! 

Just listened to his post match comments he does talk some shit  but again hes another manager who as his favourites but if he continues with his 3-5-2 system without a decent left wing back then its another relegation battle for us. 

Sick of losing all the time been going on way too long now!!!!!!

Our signings from semi-pro worry me too. FWIW I think there is a player in Gordon, someone said earlier that he is 12-18 months from being ready as a league player, and that is probably right. Thinking of our previous signings from non league, and it is a long time ago so please correct me, I can only remember Caldwell straight in the team and scoring, Oghani was on the subs bench for ages, Came and Macateer playing reserve team football for a while before stepping up. These new players have no reserve team football to play and are getting used to training and practising every day, they are just not ready at the moment.

Gordon should be nowhere near our first eleven.Poor recruitment has given us Hobson’s choice between him & Mascoll as left sided wingbacks .

Kioso’s early promise has more or less evaporated , I think he realises how poor we are & doesn’t want to get injured busting a gut for us when he isn’t even our player. Gethin could be back soon but again I don’t see a wingback in him although he could do a job in a conventional back four.

Santos ,Delaney are fine in this league.Crawford has been disappointing overall but still got to start, his pass to spot Saravic’s run last tues was top drawer.

Comley & White want too much time on the ball & tend to pass safe & square.Tutte is a better option he can at least move the ball quicker.

Of course Crellin is the biggest problem , Evatt can back him & back him & keep picking him until the cows come home but even he must be able to see the draining of morale from this team everytime Crellin messes up.Is it pure bloody mindedness on his part or worse delusion ? 

If you have planA & it fails to work because your players aren’t good enough to play it (wingback system) you have to give plan B a shot (back four) No sign of that happening .Again bloody mindedness or delusion?

13 hours ago, Traf said:

Of the current squad, I'd play Jones, Kioso, Hickman, Brockbank or Senior before I'd pick Baptiste.

Jones and Brockbank are injured so that leaves Kioso, Hickman and Senior.  I wouldn't have thought Senior is right back material but I haven't seen enough to know.  I wouldn't trust Hickman or Kioso at right back from what I've seen, but accept if you think they are better defensively.  I'm no fan of Baptiste but picking him at right back at the moment isn't something I would hold against IE.

36 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Jones and Brockbank are injured so that leaves Kioso, Hickman and Senior.  I wouldn't have thought Senior is right back material but I haven't seen enough to know.  I wouldn't trust Hickman or Kioso at right back from what I've seen, but accept if you think they are better defensively.  I'm no fan of Baptiste but picking him at right back at the moment isn't something I would hold against IE.

Your right I dont think IE has any options; it shouldn't have been like this because Baptiste is garbage and IE brought him here because its his mate. Same with White who gets starts before Tutte who has been consistent since he came to Bolton. Add to that the goalkeeper fiasco IE is a disgrace and will prove to be our worst ever manager

3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If we play the 3 best goal getters in Sarcevic, Doyle Fonz up top what 8 players would you play behind them and what formation? 

Leaving aside the keeper situation - 4-4-2.  Defence of Santos, Delaney and a right back (Jones, Brockbank if fit, Baptiste 3rd choice).  Left back any left footed defender told to concentrate on defending - I have no preference between Taft, Greenidge, Mascoll and Gordon until such time that we can sign a better one.

Midfield 4: Sarce, Darcy, Crawford, either Kioso or Isgrove I dont mind which.  No problem with Tutte either.

Subs - no problem with Arthur and/or Miller coming on when we are chasing a game or others are tired, they offer something.  White and Comley to be nowhere near coming on under any circumstances.

Crawford to stop taking every set piece - Darcy to rotate, assuming nobody else is any good.

3 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Rochdale are another club "enjoying" their first ever season in a higher division than Bolton. If we were Rochdale's patsies last season i suppose we are Crewe's this season having lost at home to them 3 times under Ian Evatt

Good point that to compare what Rochdale to us last season with Crewe this, although 1 was a friendly.  Its surely some sort of record for any team to have lost 3 times at home to the same team within 2 months.  

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Crawford has been the biggest disappointment so far.

Massive expectations from him and you can count his "highlights" on one hand.

No doubt he's been under performing and needs to up his game.  But there would be more highlights for Crawford than for any other midfielder, in terms of going forward and creating.  That's the dilemna, we simply don't have anyone else to replace his assists (another 2 this week).

2 hours ago, Arrested development said:

A lot of detailed analysis but, again, it's all irrelevant if your goalkeeper can't do the basics . We aren't going anywhere with him in goal. 

It must be soul destroying for the players when they are training, trying to improve, trying to concentrate on tactics and getting an extra 10% out of themselves, knowing it all counts for nothing when you know the opposition are going to be given at least 1 goal a game.  Its got to effect morale when you know you could do everything right as a team, dominate most of the game and still have no reward for it.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It must be soul destroying for the players when they are training, trying to improve, trying to concentrate on tactics and getting an extra 10% out of themselves, knowing it all counts for nothing when you know the opposition are going to be given at least 1 goal a game.  Its got to effect morale when you know you could do everything right as a team, dominate most of the game and still have no reward for it.

This is very true - but yesterday morale could have been at at all time low had the cup draw itself not been so favourable to us. 

Had we drawn a non league team yesterday, and lost , and that it certainly a credible option given performances of late, the media focus would have been intense and the anger from fans would have been upped several degrees 

As it is Evatt and the team have got off lightly because we were playing a team that plays a division above us and the result was a shock to no one and slipped through unchallenged and largely unnoticed. 

Had we had lesser opponents yesterday Evatt could have found himself in the unenviable position of being the first Bolton manager to ever lose an FA Cup tie to non league opposition. 

At the present time we should be perhaps be thankful for such small mercies

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, hughmungus said:

What’s obvious from the comments from some on here is that not that many paid a tenner and watched the game yesterday.

So go on, by your powers of deduction, did I pay or did I not?

As an aside, grown men who break inanimate objects when a shit keeper makes a balls-up really needs to stop watching Bolton in any other way than from the stadium.

15 minutes ago, Big E said:

Yeah we would really miss his floated balls to nobody and pathetic free kicks 

When Doyle comes back next week either Crawford or Darcy will be on the bench. Can't say I'm arsed which one that is. Both as average as each other. Shame really as I expected more, especially from Crawford.

19 minutes ago, DazBob said:

When Doyle comes back next week either Crawford or Darcy will be on the bench. Can't say I'm arsed which one that is. Both as average as each other. Shame really as I expected more, especially from Crawford.

Do you mean IE will drop 1 of them or you would drop 1 of them?  They might be average - but average is something to aspire to in this team.  Its the "very bad/how did they ever get to the EFL?" players that need to be dropped first. 

51 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Do you mean IE will drop 1 of them or you would drop 1 of them?  They might be average - but average is something to aspire to in this team.  Its the "very bad/how did they ever get to the EFL?" players that need to be dropped first. 

So who then? When Doyle (a striker) comes back who else other than those two do we drop?