Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ratwhite

I posted after the Cambridge game about Crellin losing us points at Barrow and Cambridge and should have been dropped immediately but many had different views. One poster couldn’t understand why I thought Remi Matthews was a better bet

Evatt thought exactly the same as illustrated by his public criticism, but why has he continued to play him? He doesn’t rate him so why does he play him? Is it Tobias? is it FV?

Evatt is going to get his P45 soon and probably his football league managerial career will be over, I cant understand why he has persisted with the goalkeeper situation since Cambridge. There must be something else to it, it’s managerial suicide

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Hutch said:

I posted after the Cambridge game about Crellin losing us points at Barrow and Cambridge and should have been dropped immediately but many had different views. One poster couldn’t understand why I thought Remi Matthews was a better bet

Evatt thought exactly the same as illustrated by his public criticism, but why has he continued to play him? He doesn’t rate him so why does he play him? Is it Tobias? is it FV?

Evatt is going to get his P45 soon and probably his football league managerial career will be over, I cant understand why he has persisted with the goalkeeper situation since Cambridge. There must be something else to it, it’s managerial suicide

Evatt isn’t getting his P45 soon.

Just saying, like...

34 minutes ago, Rudy said:

To play possession penetrating  football you have to have everyone comfortable on the ball, and has the ability to pass, everyone to be able to move into space.

We don't.

Also everyone has to be super fit. They aren’t. Not close. 

We have to close down, when you close people down you have to maintain shape in more than one situation. We can’t.

It takes time. Time we don’t have. So the priority should be should be making ourselves hard to beat. Playing ugly, grinding out results, stopping teams playing because we don’t have the luxury of beating teams with nice football.

I don’t see IE abandoning his philosophies, nor should he.

My gut tells me he the right man at the wrong time. 

I've heard that said before and still don't understand it.  When is the right time to have the current GK situation, and when is the right time to sign and play the likes of White or the various left backs? When is the right time to play a wingback system when you don't have the players to do it? 

2 minutes ago, Traf said:

Unless Jones or Kioso can play left back, we need to sign a left back as well as a keeper and then switch to a four at the back, dropping Baptiste.

Spot on, shut shop until confidence is in the camp, we are wide open all over the show, we afford too much space then tightly pass the ball out, the more you pass the more chance of losing the thing.   Back to basics is needed, IE keeps going on about players ‘buying into the system’ but sometimes you’ve got to look at the stats, results etc and readdress them and it needs doing sooner rather than later.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've heard that said before and still don't understand it.  When is the right time to have the current GK situation, and when is the right time to sign and play the likes of White or the various left backs? When is the right time to play a wingback system when you don't have the players to do it? 

Change the system. Work on shape because we are all over the place. 

Team selection is odd. Substitutions are odder

25 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Agreed, not a chance.

2 weeks ago tonight, you were one of the posters who disagreed with me when I said Crellin should never play for us again

I know we’re not Real Madrid but this cannot and will not carry on

7 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

But somebody has to play there, who would you replace him with?  FWIW in a 4-4-2 I could live with him at right back, concentrating on defending, as his mistakes aren't as costly as when he's centre back.

Of the current squad, I'd play Jones, Kioso, Hickman, Brockbank or Senior before I'd pick Baptiste.

54 mins in today. We have a goal kick. There are 2 bwfc players in our penalty area so this is a training ground plan. Crellin kicks to the player on the right, he kicks it to the player on the left, Gordon passes it out. Throw in to Crewe in our half .... from our fcukin goal kick!!!!

Crellin kicks it out from a goal kick 3 times in the first half. Im sure Crellin would have given it the big boot down the middle as he’s lacking confidence but assume he has been told otherwise

Thats Evatts fault, no one else...it’s his tactics

Henshaw was bang on in the commentary, we need to get it up and win the second balls. These players aren’t good enough for playing out at the back

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

He’s barely a footballer 

Can only assume that Baptiste must be a decent goalkeeper so has to play every game in case Crellin gets injured/sent off/comes running out for a cross and just keeps running like Forest Gump out of the stadium and all the way back to Fleetwood.

I haven`t signed in for ages so please forgive me if I duplicate what has been posted previously. After successive relegations we were happy to suck up the momentum afforded by Evatts appointment. Each signing was according to IE a perfect fit for his aspirations to take Wanderers forward. We believed it and the Bookies believed it. I have dutifully watched every game apart from Colchester as I was in Corfu and we are lets face it shocking.

Billy Crettin (sorry bless him) was partially at fault for both Newport goals and two more at Barrow and should have been replaced rather than facing Table Toppers Cambridge particularly with no sub GK on the bench. The kid needs a breather. Today given we have a televised fixture v Salford on Friday was the right opportunity to play Alexander or Gilks rather than through one or the other in on Friday night in front of the camera`s.

Delaney - who wasn`t first choice but is far better than Taft and Santos after a very dodgy start have defended well on the whole. Baptiste should be guiding and encouraging the raw but promising Kioso but clearly isn`t. The number of times Pickering & Kirk who are granted decent players at this level waltzed through was ridiculous with no lessons learned. Overall defensive stability is being undermined by understandable lack of confidence in the keeper.

Midfield - Well Comley and White according to Evatt are both top players. We haven`t seen anything yet to back this up. From what I witnessed last season I reckon Sonny Graham would do a better job in the holding role.

Aside from Crettin Biggest disappointment is Ali Crawford. How many free kicks has he taken without hitting the target - keeper saves then fair enough but he cannot seem to keep a shot down whereas most of his corners are cut out at the near post barely 4 foot off the ground leaving us vulnerable on the counter attack. We have two giant Centre Backs I would have expected some product with decent delivery by now. Ali has occasionally flickered - a great ball for equaliser v Mansfield but we need far more from him. Sarcevic who has improved dramatically and is becoming more influential must wonder what the hell he is doing here.

Up top no issues Delfonso &  Doyle have looked promising given a supply. 

We have had a dozen games to implement the IE tactical plan and it isn`t working. Both Newport and Oldham showed how the press can be achieved - Wanderers haven`t sussed it yet. I suspect we are in for a bloody hard season but please IE give the lads a fighting chance by dropping Crellin.          

• Site Supporter

Crellin is the only keeper to fill a seasons bloopers video in one game. Its not just a confidence issue with him, he really is just a very poor goalkeeper. 

We must stop the farting about in our own area from goal kicks, top teams get caught trying it occasionally, poor teams will get caught regularly. The cons far outweigh the pros at this level. 

The 2 points above are simple enough to sort out, the one that needs work is how many times we concede possession in the middle of the park & the opposition get to our box unchallenged, it happens so often yet nobody ever anticipates it. 

As for Evatt, Crellin is undermining everything he is trying to implement, so as yet we have no real proof as to whether his philosophy / tactics/selections will work in the long run.