Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Name The Ground

Zico

Blimey!!! One that I actually know. My Dad wasn't too far away at the time so I've seen that photo before. I'll leave it for others to guess rather than spoil it early

Edit: "Half remembered names and faces." To show that I know. Undies Ted-type clue

Edited by MancWanderer

9 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Although there was room towards the Burnden side of the ground, part of the stand had been requisitioned by the Ministry of Supply and it had not yet been returned to normal use following the war. In addition, the turnstiles at the east end of the Railway Embankment which adjoined the Burnden Stand had been closed since 1940.[citation needed]

At the time, fans paid at the turnstiles rather than buy tickets beforehand. As a result, the end became packed and over capacity and it was decided to close the turnstiles at 2:40 pm.[4] This, however, did not stop more people entering the ground, with people climbing in from the railway, climbing over the closed turnstiles and, when a locked gate was opened, entering through it

Ta. New information to me.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Although there was room towards the Burnden side of the ground, part of the stand had been requisitioned by the Ministry of Supply and it had not yet been returned to normal use following the war. In addition, the turnstiles at the east end of the Railway Embankment which adjoined the Burnden Stand had been closed since 1940.[citation needed]

At the time, fans paid at the turnstiles rather than buy tickets beforehand. As a result, the end became packed and over capacity and it was decided to close the turnstiles at 2:40 pm.[4] This, however, did not stop more people entering the ground, with people climbing in from the railway, climbing over the closed turnstiles and, when a locked gate was opened, entering through it

Aye, thought for a minute some ordnance had gone off!